NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default would you leave someone negative feedback that refunded you?

Posted By: ali_lapoint

this seller on ebay sold me a reprint that they swore up and down was authentic. as soon as i got it i could tell it was a reprint. i contacted paypal and opened a claim. the card was returned and i received a refund. however, the seller wasn't particularly cordial or swift about it. would you leave negative feedback? i ask because i am worried someone will get shilled later if they see the perfect feedback they have now. should i just leave neutral feedback or none at all?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Neutral with explanation.

You really want to jerk him leave 1 star for each category.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Ali - it would depend on a gut call of if I thought the seller just made an honest mistake not knowing much about vintage cards, or if I thought he was trying to cheat someone who wouldn't know any better. No doubt in my mind hat Ebay sellers who fall into the later category deserve negs. Returning your money avoids bringing law enforcement into the situation.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

neutral with explanation

Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

I've had sellers send me reprints twice and they apologized when I contacted them and immediately refunded me. They got pos feedback.

I've left negs when I didn't get an item or it was trashed and had to fight for the refunds thru paypal.

Did you contact him once you'd received the card to request a refund, or proceed straight to paypal?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Lutz

I agree with those who say you can "negative" somebody who tries to cheat you but gets caught and is compelled to send a refund. But if you think it could have been an honest mistake, then you should let it go without comment.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Agree with above Mark. If the seller appeared to make an honest mistake and fixes the situation appropriately, then he/she doesn't deserve negative feedback. Everyone will make a mistake once in a while.

In fact, you can tell a lot more about a seller by how he reacts to a mistake then when things go smoothly. A dealer who apologizes and promptly fixes an error may be exactly the type of dealer you wish to buy from again, knowing there are sellers out there who don't apologize and don't fix errors.

Fair and honest feedback is fair and honest ("Got a reprint received refund and apology"). However, note that buyers who are unfairly punitive to sellers who do the right thing may cause the seller to no longer see incentive in doing the right thing.

Of course, if a seller sells you a three blind mice overgraded reprint and is slow and tangled about the refund though received-- and appears to have done the same schtict with other buyers-- less than sunny feedback would be fair and appropriate. That you received a surly refund three months later means you were refunded, but doesn't gloss over all other problems (including the three month delay).

Old 09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

As with almost everything else the answer is "it depends on the circumstances."

I agree with Anthony that if I had to file a claim with paypal and basically "chase" the seller for weeks/months to get the refund I would leave a negative. Just because the seller didn't get away with whatever misrepresentation (intentional or otherwise) does not mean that s/he should not receive a negative. There is only so much room for a comment in the feedback section and I try to consider my feedback from the perspective of a future potential bidder.

On the other hand if the seller promptly refunded the money and handled the matter correctly I would almost certainly not leave a negative.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

leave a positive or neutral, and use the stars as well to explain how/what happened.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

The only way to get bad sellers off ebay is to punish them with negs. Sounds like you had to strong-arm a refund so why be nice now?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 09-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'd leave a negative. Sounds like the seller is bummed he got caught and didn't do much to make it right; that deserves a negative.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

would you consider it a negative experience?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Way too many Tardy the Clown cards...way too many.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

It depends on the situation. Did the seller make me go through hoops to
get my refund? Then perhaps a neg is warranted. Did they just waste my time
and refund me right away? No.

A few months ago a seller did just that to me made me file to get my refund after
promising me one. I was using my buyers account and still did not leave one.

So to answer your question it depends on the situation.

Steve

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Did you have to file a claim to get your money back? If so - NEGATIVE. If he refunded it willingly but barked a little - NEUTRAL with explanation. If he refunded and apologized - POSATIVE for good customer service.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

well what do you guys consider a negative experience? i'm unsure because i definitely would not buy from this person ever again. i have no proof and i hate to insinuate but they were overly nice when i called them out on their reprint and desperate for me not to leave negative feedback. they went on and on about how it would affect their ability to make a living. but in all honesty, what about me? if i wasn't as knowledgable as i am on the issue i may not have ever known, and its not like they would have given me a refund years down the line if i had figured it out. also what is making me lean towards leaving negative is the fact that i think that they are lying. because the person told me they had taken the card to "a PSA shop" where they were told it was authentic. but i called PSA and they said no such shop exists or ever existed and they do not offer quick opinions like that to anyone. the only time they do is if a BUYER contacts them and wants a quick opinion on an eBay auction, but that they would never do the same thing for a SELLER. when i asked why they didnt have the card graded they said they didn't want to spend the money. but that makes no sense to me either because its only 20 dollars tops. also, it would have cost me that extra 20 bucks on top of what i paid in the first place for me to "prove" it was fake and get a refund back if i didnt know so much about this particular issue. its just a lot of nonsense to deal with when this kind of stuff happens.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Administrator

If someone sold me a fake and was a pain in the butt about giving the refund, I would not categorize that as a positive buying experience. If you sell someone a fake, you're supposed to be apologetic not crabby about refunding. Some would say lack of apology itself deserves customer relations demerit. If you spill red wine on someone's carpet, the least you're supposed to do is apologize.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert B

Under your circumstances, yes I would leave a
negative. They were trying to pull something over ya.
If its just a matter of opinion on a grade, then
no I would not leave a negative.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert B

Let me add, with vintage cards
I just don't buy into the "I didn't Know" it
was a reprint. The internet/ebay are
sources readily available for everyone.
If someone sold, say a 34 Goudey Gehrig reprint
and then claimed they did not know it was a reprint.
No way would I buy it. They researched the card- which is
probably why they are selling it. Then they should
be able to tell the difference between an original
and reprint.

I once had someone sell me a 72 Topps set on ebay
in Nrm/m condition. When I got it, it was at best
VG-Ex, totally useless for something that recent.
And the conditions were consistent throughout.
Called the dealer, he said it was nr mint when it left
and I was giving him the benefit of doubt,
but that changed when he said "However
if you still want the set I'll knock of such and such
of the price"
I knew he was trying to pull a fast one.
He probably thought he was gonna be able to
get me to keep the set if he knocks off the price.
I sent it back.
I can tell when a set gets damaged in the mail
this was not the case.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I would look at some of their previous sales so I could see
if they were in fact shady.

Steve

Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

i later learned that the quick opinion PSA was referring to when i called them only applies to autographs and NOT baseball cards. so what really bothers me about this is that the person is obviously lying to me, and refuses to acknowledge they sold a reprint. another thing that bothers me about the transaction is that when i first contacted the person they were friendly, and then when i opened a paypal claim they tried to act as though they were doing me a huge favor by accepting the card back and took my paypal claim as an offense when all i was doing was following proper procedure. can you believe the nerve? sells me a reprint and then acts like they're doing me a favor by refunding me.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Before you kill the guy (not that he might not deserve it), PSA does have a list of authorized submission centers on their website. I just looked and they have 188 places around the country where you can take your cards to and they will submit them to PSA, for you.

He may have been refering to one of them.

In reality, any opinion offered by the owner of one of these shops carries no weight, but the seller might not understand that.

I agree with Steve. Look at his other transactions and see if this one is an abnormality.

Who was the seller?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Ali is correct that there is only PSA/DNA quick opinion for autographs and no such thing for cards. Besides, when you get a quick opinion (I did it once!), you get a confirmation web page that lists the item description, ebay auction # and authenticity opinion. This page can be viewed and opinion confirmed by anyone who is given the address. Along with the opinion email you also get from PSA/DNA, there is no difficulty demonstrating that a Quick Opinion was given and what was the verdict.