NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Dave

Default How's the centering?

Hey guys I just picked up this Joe D and am just curious if 1. this would be considered a miscut/diamond cut and 2. centered to the point that it really hurts the value and/or grade of the card. In person, the card as a whole looks really nice...but The OCD in me is kinda stuck on the centering
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD1.JPG (54.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg jd2.JPG (66.6 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by davetruth; 06-20-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Matt

The value is what someone will pay for it, so it's tough to say what impact the centering has on that specific example of the card. It's a card that is hard to find with both great centering and great focus, and this one is clearly a well-focused example; centering is not its strong suit. So it all depends on what attributes you prefer, and what attributes future buyers will prefer. If someone seeking a well-registered example in that grade or thereabouts comes across this one, he will likely love it and pay strong. A centering guy won't not pay as much as for a better centered specimen. Then someone seeking both attributes will likely have to be very patient and wind up with a higher graded, more expensive example. I'd say the grade looks fine/accurate.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-20-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Dave

Thanks Matt! I agree this card is def tough to find w/ the best of both worlds..and I accept the fact that I'd probably have to go to at least a PSA 6 to get there. I got a good deal on this so I'm going to stick with it. The registration is probably the most important thing that I was looking for with this card... I have seen higher graded (7+) examples that I would never want because the focus is so terrible, imho it ruins the card. The centering isn't that bad on this... I guess...lol

Last edited by davetruth; 06-20-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Doesn't look diamond cut to me...more like the image is just a bit "tilted" but I could be wrong. I love the card personally and am sure you probably got a decent deal on it since the centering is not ideal. I'm a centering guy too but am much more liberal when it comes to certain cards that on the higher end of budget, and for those I look for other attributes long strong corners and image quality. Nice pick-up!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's not particularly well centered, but for this issue it has superb focus in my opinion.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 PM
FredYoung

The "baggie" bothers me much more than the centering ever would!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Dave

Thanks guys.. Honestly in person the card's focus looks even more clear then in the scan. I have seen centering that was much worse, but I wondered if, for example, this would get a qualifier of (OC) if it were re-submitted in a modern PSA slab.

Last edited by davetruth; 06-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetruth View Post
Thanks guys.. Honestly in person the card's focus looks even more clear then in the scan. I have seen centering that was much worse, but I wondered if, for example, this would get a qualifier of (OC) if it were re-submitted in a modern PSA slab.
Why would you re-submit it? Just have it re-holdered without the baggie.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Why would you re-submit it? Just have it re-holdered without the baggie.
OK I didn't know you could do that. Good to know. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Sweet Joe D Dave, I'd take that as upgrade on mine any day!

I'd always prefer good centering, but it's rarely a deal breaker for me if the other traits (especially image clarity, sharp/clean surface, corners and borders, which are more my drivers) make the card attractive as a whole. Just a case by case thing more so than a rule for me. I've seen lots of fuzzy imaged but centered cards command hefty premiums, but I choose a sharp image of the player over uniformity of its framing. Hope you enjoy your DiMaggio.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Sweet Joe D Dave, I'd take that as upgrade on mine any day!

I'd always prefer good centering, but it's rarely a deal breaker for me if the other traits (especially image clarity, sharp/clean surface, corners and borders, which are more my drivers) make the card attractive as a whole. Just a case by case thing more so than a rule for me. I've seen lots of fuzzy imaged but centered cards command hefty premiums, but I choose a sharp image of the player over uniformity of its framing. Hope you enjoy your DiMaggio.
I agree with you man. And what I realize is that you have to be realistic for the price and grade. This card with better centering is probably a 6. And in this case, if you get a 5 for what a 4 commands, especially a nice 5 like this, than you did pretty good, right?

Last edited by davetruth; 06-20-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Dave

But I still am wondering does the image being slightly tilted and off center make it a diamond cut?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
FredYoung

Looks D-cut to me.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Gobucsmagic74

It doesn't to me, I think the image is just tilted, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Looks diamond cut to me too. I think that's what makes the centering look off when actually I think the centering is quite decent from L-R, in a diamond symetrical sort of way. Great card!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Dave

I'm kinda confused as to what a diamond cut is..I searched the forum and see that some say a diamond cut refers to the actual shape of the cardboard vs. the "tilt" cut which is the picture being tilted on the card. This card appears to be the right "shape" but the pic itself is a little tilted and off center. I'm interested to know how this particular "cut" is generally perceived when considering getting a particular card you really want...some seem to be bothered by it...others not so much...like it is a flaw in a card that doesn't make it an "error" if you will...just a flaw like a wrinkle or crease etc.

Last edited by davetruth; 06-20-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's funny how you talk about OCD. Haha!! I, for one, am not bothered at all by that centering (I would call it 'slightly tilted'). And the great focus, as many have already mentioned, makes it especially suh-weet!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It's funny how you talk about OCD. Haha!! I, for one, am not bothered at all by that centering (I would call it 'slightly tilted'). And the great focus, as many have already mentioned, makes it especially suh-weet!!!

Dude I'd prolly find something in a GM MT 10 that would bug me lol

Last edited by davetruth; 06-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

The only thing about that card that bugs me is that
it's not mine. Couldn't care less about the centering. Bad focus is worse than a a heavy crease to me, but then I'm not interested in graded cards or investments.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetruth View Post
I'm kinda confused as to what a diamond cut is..I searched the forum and see that some say a diamond cut refers to the actual shape of the cardboard vs. the "tilt" cut which is the picture being tilted on the card. This card appears to be the right "shape" but the pic itself is a little tilted and off center. I'm interested to know how this particular "cut" is generally perceived when considering getting a particular card you really want...some seem to be bothered by it...others not so much...like it is a flaw in a card that doesn't make it an "error" if you will...just a flaw like a wrinkle or crease etc.
My understanding is that diamond cut refers to the actual shape of the card, not the way the image is centered on a perfectly rectangular card. If you're convinced that the card is squared at the corners and perfectly rectangular then it's not diamond cut, the image is just off center. If your OCD won't allow you to enjoy the card it sounds like there's a few people in this thread, myself included, who would be happy to take it off your hands. For your own good of course!

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 06-21-2014 at 05:52 AM.