NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default Those caramel card prices aren't going away

Posted By: tbob

Although there have been numerous comments about the rising prices for the formerly underappreciated caramel cards from prior to WW I, don't look for any kind of price correction any time soon. E94s and E98s are leading the way and the prices obtained may not be reflected in the SCD or other price guides but the demand is far outstripping the supply. (I won't even address the explosion of the E107s).
I mentioned to a collector friend of mine that I hoped to find some non-ebaying dealers at National with more reasonable prices on their caramel cards. His reply? "Don't count on it." He explained that there are dealers who wouldn't know what an internet was if they stumbled over it and yet word spreads quickly through the hobby as to what is selling and what is not.
Comments?

Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

That I would be able to get some decent prices at the Nationals this year but I doubt that will happen. Caramels across the board are not slowing down and I don't think they will anytime soon, especially if you are trying to get your hands on e94, e98 and I don't want to even mention what prices are like for e107 cards. I'm just hopeing I can find a decent price on a e93 Cobb and a e95 Chance in half way decent shape. If I am able to walk away from the nationals with one good buy I will be happy. If you are a caramel collector right now I hope that you have a good budget because it is starting to drive your everyday collector like me out of business. I guess I need to be more like Julie and start eating more noodles or cheap food in order to buy more cards

Old 06-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

We always talk about exploding prices in the abstract, but I thought I would put some meat on the bones.

I bought a very nice VG E107 George Davis about 2 years ago for about $550 (maybe it was $600, I can't remember). This was the full asking price from a board member / collector / dealer. I know Davis is no Lajoie, but I think he must be fairly comparable to Chesbro. So if recent sales are any indication, this card would now sell for about 10K. (Sadly, I traded it). That's a 20-fold increase in 2 years.

At the same time, I purchased a McGraw for the same price, though it is in much lower condition. A few months later, I purchased a Jimmy Collins with one badly trimmed border (but otherwise quite nice for an E107) for a little over $200. Given their condition, I can't use the recent sales of the Chesbro and Lajoie as an accurate guide to their value. But I think it's fair to say that you couldn't buy the lower left corner of an E107 Collins for $200 today.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

to go to the National looking for what is not selling right now and buy it at steep discounts to "book". Last year I found some caramel cards for decent prices. This year I do not expect anything of the sort. I'd not be surprised if I ended up with a pile of 1960s superstars this year if the prices are right. That's the nice thing about collecting. If you can't bring yourself to buy the $10,000 caramel card, you can turn your attentions elsewhere instead. Of course if I run across something cheap and hot, don't expect me to leave it there either. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

These cards just seem to keep going and going, don't they? And we're not just talking about the impossible E107 set either but just run of the mill caramel sets. It had gotten to the point where I added only one of two cards to my collection each month.

I agree with Adam. Sometimes we just have to divert out attention towards new areas. Caramel cards have become so expensive, that I recently concluded that I could no longer afford to collect complete sets, so from now on, I am just going to concentrate on singles instead.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Just remember - I didn't "spill the beans" on the Baltimore News Cobb! Another One-Of-A-Kind Cobb for your Collection (unless any other(s) have turned up I am unaware about)! I cannot blame you for not collecting sets with cards like those.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

It's difficult to be discreet sometimes (or at any time) The card you sold me a few months ago is still my all-time favorite though!

Old 06-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

you finally made a plunge for that e94 cobb! i guess the big bro (m131) was feeling lonely.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

It's all in the family I guess.
Scott, the e98 red cobb that I traded you the other day came from a trade with wes last year.

Now trade me the old put Wes!

Old 06-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

If I ever buy a duplicate, you will be the first person I contact...

Old 06-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Great!...Oh wait...there is no duplicate.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I started to say - if you are not happy with the Old Put, I would gladly take it back off your hands!

Robert - that E98 Cobb is at SGC right now, along with a few others. I also have some cards at GAI (but, they are way behind on grading those - I should have already had those babies back by now).

Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

I still wince when I see Old Puts. Damn UPS....

Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Wesley- what was your winning bid on the Cobb M131? I thought I might be able to quietly win that card but got outbid.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Bob, I have learned that there is no longer such thing as quietly winning an item for prewar cards. Regardless of whether an item is listed in a wrong category on ebay or sold in the most obscure live auction, everyone will still know about it. There are no secrets. I emailed the price info to you. Wes

Old 06-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Caramel prices are going away!
Or maybe only when I sell?<br />Sure, there not that nice condition wise, but that's still pretty cheap for a couple graded hofers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5207494523&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1>

Old 06-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

can you post a teaser Cobb E-card for us to desire? I am certain you have a bunch of greatly appreciated ones for us to view!

Old 06-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator

I meant to bid again on that one. Had a busy day and took a nap on the couch when that one ended - darn! I really wanted that Brown too - especially, since I sold you my "2" a while back and I don't have an E98 Brown in my Brown collection! I was going to at least bid something like $155.55 on that lot. Looks like it is back to throwing in my max bid on a lot early on.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

invest in a sniping service and save urself some money, it's a waste throwing in a max bid early and let people pick and peck at it. even tbob's doing it now!