NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 AM

Default Antique street fair big fat zero…then I walked by a pool hall…

photo 1948KramervsRiggsTennisRed_zps1a5e46bd.jpg

Today I went to the Petaluma Antique Street Fair and it was a total bust…barely even saw anything interesting much less to buy…In all the years I’ve been going to that show I’ve never found a thing…so today I figured I’d give it everything I had by getting there real early…got up at 4:30AM... got to the fair at 6:15AM…I envisioned finding a Spalding Trophy or something for all my early rise dedication…nada…still nothing….

So at 10 went to a local church service then got something to eat after and starting going thru the local stores…and they weren’t much better than the fair…the parking around the downtown was impacted so I parked a little up the street for the last store…So as I’m walking up the street I go by a large pool hall…I looked in and saw what appeared to be some pool related prints and décor…so I walked in and started looking around…Just as I walked in I saw the broadside above…I’m wild for broadsides and I know how rare they are…and this one was for a world championship…and was very striking…I walked all thru the huge cavernous pool hall but didn’t see anything else that had my attention…

I knew nothing about the pool hall and just assumed it wasn’t for sale…but I looked it over carefully anyway…the design had me…the way it was laid out…It had photos of Kramer and Riggs so that was a big plus…and it was stopping power yellow…with contrasting dark blue letters…and the way the venue was displayed on the side with the city Oakland, and date was unique…I’d never seen a poster laid out like that…Had some staining but I didn't care looked great to me...

So in the back of the hall was another large room with pool tables and pool furnishings of every sort for sale…and there was a guy sitting at a desk…real friendly guy says hi and everything…so we start talking about pool stuff and I asked if the decorations in the hall were for sale…He chuckles well…everything’s for sale…sort of like…they weren’t actively selling stuff but they might...and he asks what I was interested in…How much for “that tennis poster” I said…he goes I don’t know I’ll call the owner he’s just up the street…I wait and can feel a nose bleed price coming…He hangs up and laughs…He doesn’t really want to sell it and gave me a pretty high figure…more that I wanted to pay…but in actuality I ball parked it about ½ it’s potential considering how rare it was…nevertheless I wasn’t paying nose bleed for a tennis piece…and so I left…on the way out I studied it again and took some shots…I went out to my car and got on my lap top and looked up the match…from a cursory look it appeared the match was part of a series that played in various cities…since the same match was played in NYC in 1947…so I figured it was from 1947…

Later I ascertained there was no Saturday February 21st in 1947…but later learned there was in 1948…and later I learned a lot more about the series in a 2009 book about one of the participants Pancho Segura called “Little Pancho”: The Life of Tennis Legend Pancho Segura, by Caroline Seebohm…according to what I read the series went on for a few years I believe…

So anyway…I went back in and looked it over again…I concluded that although later than I normally collect…it was important and I liked it a lot…So I went back in the sales room and told the guy to call the seller and offer $XXX.XX…half of what he quoted…but it was serious money and I felt he would take it…took a while but he came back with $150.00 over my offer…I felt my offer was pretty strong but I upped it $50.00…more third party phone negotiating and waiting…but the desk man collected advertising so all the while we were having a good time talking antique signs as the afternoon wore on…Finally the desk man gets a text reply from the owner…. $XXX.XX…$50 over my last offer…

I didn’t feel I was raking the guy I just felt my offer was very fair and I stuck to my last offer…and I was going to leave but the desk guy and I kept on talking signs for about 15-20 minutes…then in comes the big guy in person…Him and I had nowhere near the comradery as his employee…nothing hostile or anything but he seemed all business…We chatted a little but I was getting worn out and wanted to get going…so I thanked him but said that was all I could do…and he reluctantly caved…He went out and unscrewed it from the wall…I paid him and walked out the new owner…And that was my Sunday...

photo littlepancho_zps2442615d.jpg

photo 1947BeginningRed_zpsf3fe9f25.jpg

photo Chapter5_zpsafda9210.jpg

photo 1_zpsce29b07b.jpg

photo 2_zpse360b09b.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-03-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Howard Chasser

Default The thrill of the hunt!

Great story! Enjoy the piece!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

My wife and I used to go to the Petaluma Street Fair every year when we lived there. My wife loved it and when I told her you went there she was sad that she missed it again. Anyway, I don't recall ever seeing much in the way of sports memorabilia either. I do remember seeing a pair of vintage cleats in the original box, but of course they were overpriced.

Thanks for the memory Carlton. And nice pick up on the broadside.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 AM
John Harrell

That's a honey of a poster, Carlton.

John
Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Default Thanks

photo Gurneseyssept132009_zpsb29a7296.jpg

photo 2Gurneseyssept132009_zps84a9a5e4.jpg

Thanks all for the approval...Poking around on the internet I came across the posters above that sold in 2009 in NYC at a Guernsey's tennis auction....the one with Kramer and Riggs went for $750.00...Now that I'm into this a little I wouldn't mind finding the poster from the Kramer vs. Riggs match at Madison Square Garden...I seem to recall some similar tennis posters in a Leland's auction years ago...

Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 PM
qualitycards

Carlton, great story & pickup! Congrats!