NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Book p/u - A History of Yale Athletics, Copyright 1888

Photobucket

I picked up this pretty cool book on eBay a couple weeks ago, came today. Got if from Bart White, who I occasionally run into at shows around the Bay Area.

I think I may have heard of it before but it's the first copy I'd ever seen....I wanted to see how rare so I emailed Tom Cardiopoli in Cape Cod who is very knowledgeable...his eBay user name is walnutts. Tom said it was the first example he'd ever seen and that it was very rare... I found another on the web for $5,000.00. It was Walter Camp's personal copy...with his notations.

I looked up the author R.M. Hurd...there's a wiki on him I paste below:

Richard Melancthon Hurd (1865–1941) was a pioneer real estate economist and political activist.

Hurd was born in New York City on June 14, 1865 and attended St. Paul's School.[1] He graduated from Yale University in 1888,[2][3] where he was a member of Skull and Bones and editor of the Yale record.[4] He headed the mortgage department of the U.S. Mortgage & Trust Company in 1895.[5] He married in 1898 and had five children.[1][3] He was president of the Lawyers' Mortgage Insurance Company in 1903 when he published Principles of City Land Values.[6]

During the First World War he was active as an officer of the American Defense Society, an organization that promoted America's entry into World War I and civilian initiatives to suppress dissent during the conflict. He was a close friend of Theodore Roosevelt. In 1917, when he was vice=president and director of the Mortgage Bond Company of New York,[3] he was appointed a New York State Prison Commissioner.[3] He was later President of Lawyers Mortgage Trust, a securitizer of urban commercial property mortgages. The company suffered financial losses and closed during the depression.

He died on June 6, 1941 in a New York City hospital. He had been ill for more than a month.[1]

It's in pretty decent shape, the worst is a 3/4" tear at the top of the binding...the rest not bad, binding's pretty strong, no loose pages.

There's a strange letter left inside that asks for assistance in "examining the whole subject of college athletics" by filling out a questionnaire, which is missing...the letter claims it's authors, (three men who undersigned the letter) were appointed a committee by "the college faculty". The strange part is the letter states it was written from "Cambridge, May 19, 1887"....Cambridge is the home of Harvard....but the book's about Yale!?! I guess when I get the energy I'll have to look into who the three undersigned men were, their names below:
John Williams White (Bart's great great grandfather)
W.S. Chaplin
Albert Bushnell Hart

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Default great pickup!

Thanks for posting this, Carlton. What a great pickup!

I just came across this article, not sure if you have seen it before. It does not explain the letter inside your book, but shows that people at Harvard were paying attention to Hurd's publication when it came out:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/18...-have-done-in/

Best,
Charles
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Another interesting article mentioning Hurd's book, which also includes a paragraph about the Yale fence:

http://theharvardcrimson.com/article...se-ball-is-at/
Old 12-22-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hoss View Post
Another interesting article mentioning Hurd's book, which also includes a paragraph about the Yale fence:

http://theharvardcrimson.com/article...se-ball-is-at/
Hoss, very good to know...good digging....quite an endorcement from their rival! Thanks for sharing that....and speaking of that old subject "The Yale Fence"...just today as I was researching a Tiffany flask I recently got I came across a photo of an 1891 trophy made by Tiffany that has an engraving of the fence!
9 7/8" tall
Presented to
Our Class Boy
Allen Trafford Klots
By the Class of 88'
Yale College
June 23. 1891
Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.