NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-05-2015, 03:04 AM

Default c1895 Connecticut H.S. Football Broadside P/U

photo Yale Cup_zpsetaxqzmc.jpg

photo Bridgeport High PC 2_zpscbv28uqn.jpg

Picked up this little jewel today and I'm really happy with it, even though it's high school...the blue color is a bonus...and it has the all important year!!!...Can't find anything on the internet about the game...probably have to get ahold of a historical society to look up the newspaper story on microfilm...I can only assume at this point the "Tie Game" means it was a playoff of a prior tied game...and it appears they tied again from the 4 to 4 score written in...To a card collector the condition would probably be unacceptable...but the broadside is a different animal completly...By their very nature they were subject to harsh treatment from being hung outdoors...So it's only natural for them to be beat up...finding a cardstock one this big 22 inches by 14 inches from 1895 is a very rare find...For the few that were saved most got banged up and tossed over time...

This is only the second HS broadside I ever owned...the other is for a "west coast" championship between a San Francisco HS and a Seattle HS...took place like 7 months after the 06' earthquake...So now I've got both coasts covered for championship HS games!

photo 22.75 x 14 inch_zpso48ht4gr.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-06-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Carlton,

As usual, great piece! I also love the graphics on the San Fran broadside. Awesome!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Hey Carlton,

As usual, great piece! I also love the graphics on the San Fran broadside. Awesome!
 photo Bridgeport High PC_zpsoplj6uaw.jpg

photo hartford high pc_zps6xxnemdf.png

Thanks Brent glad you like it...you have great taste...Yeah it's the best thing I picked up on eBay in a while I think...I was about to fall asleep when I found it Saturday night....Apparently the seller has a shop within a few miles of Yale, as when I made an offer lower than his BIN he turned it down and didn't budge and said parents week was coming up and he would probably get more in his store and wouldn't have to pack it...so I just caved...I wasn't going to let it go as it's pretty much the best HS FB broadside I've seen since the SF Seattle one 25 years ago and doubt I'll ever see a better...And it's kind of a virgin find, almost right from the original source..as he said he got it at a farm house estate about 10 miles from the Yale Bowl.

thanks for your reply...I just pulled the trigger as I sit in a noisy mexican restaurant in Berkeley ca...what can you tell me about it's history....i.e. where it's been....can you say where you got it?...thanks -carlton

Carlton, Thanks for your purchase. I picked it up at an farm house estate that probably dates back to around that time. Owners probably got it from their parents, being they seems to be Octogenarians + is about all I can say. They lived probably 10 miles from the Yale bowl as the crow flies and I'd guess they we're Bridgeport Alumna. Actually though at that time there were no bridges between these two areas, so they either have to ferry over via horse n buggy or travel 10 miles North to get the Derby Shelton Toll bridge to get across the Housatonic River. Hope that helps, I'll pack it up and try to get her out tomorrow.

photo yale bowl_zpsguamuzkj.png

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-06-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Carlton did you see the football pillow case on eBay
Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Default This one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Carlton did you see the football pillow case on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Footba...torefresh=true
Are you talking about the one linked above?...I have two examples of it, both red like that one...I have the second one to use as a trade some day...But I had to pay WAY more for both than the $315.00 that one brought...but that's eBay for ya...BTW there are also blue and green versions of it...It's an incredible illustration...I've seen it on a paper fan and I think on a note pad....

Old 10-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Are you talking about the one linked above?...I have two examples of it, both red like that one...I have the second one to use as a trade some day...But I had to pay WAY more for both than the $315.00 that one brought...but that's eBay for ya...BTW there are also blue and green versions of it...It's an incredible illustration...I've seen it on a paper fan and I think on a note pad....
That would be it I love the detail
Old 10-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post

Here it is on a paper fan (image reversed) for Princeton/Columbia/Harvard/Yale/Cornell/Penn. Not mine...but very cool!

image.jpg
Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Here it is on a paper fan (image reversed) for Princeton/Columbia/Harvard/Yale/Cornell/Penn. Not mine...but very cool!

Attachment 207375
Wow fan is awesome that's why I love everything they made back in the day for sports baseball football Etc.