NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Against my better judgement, I'm finally sending this out into the wild

The first two names I'll be adding to this HOF poster will be Randy Johnson and Roberto Alomar. Both are appearing an a NJ show next month, put on by MAB Celebrity.

This is a very reputable promoter, but I'm still fitful over the idea of it being mishandled.

I'll post my success as soon as it returns.

http://www.mab-celebrity.com/c-2748-march-magic.aspx

http://www.freewebs.com/cjedmonton/hof11.jpg

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
FredYoung

WOW! What a great item.

I wish you all the best, but I would never take the chance on sending out what looks like several yrs of work & time invested in getting all those autos on that poster.

If it were mine I'd be crushed if something happened to it.

I'm hoping for a safe return for you.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Why not send it to a member who might be going to the show? That way you know your item is good hands.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Why not send it to a member who might be going to the show? That way you know your item is good hands.
That's my plan for HOF weekend!

Sure, there's some risk involved with this "experiment". However, if I leave clear and concise directions with the promoter, I'm confident it'll come back safe and sound.

As much as I enjoy the item as is, I'm compelled to continue on with the theme (pre-1990 MLB alum who went on to become HOFers).
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
That's my plan for HOF weekend!

Sure, there's some risk involved with this "experiment". However, if I leave clear and concise directions with the promoter, I'm confident it'll come back safe and sound.

As much as I enjoy the item as is, I'm compelled to continue on with the theme (pre-1990 MLB alum who went on to become HOFers).
I think that MAB is a quality organization, but, FWIW...

With MAB, sometimes you end up with what you ask for, sometimes you don't when you send things in for mail order. I've found that they do not always follow instructions very carefully.

Be cautious, FWIW...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the tip, Scott. I really only have 3 simple requests:

1. Handle with care

2. Ask the player to sign the poster where his Post It flag is.

3. Fine blue Sharpie only

So long as it comes back in one piece, I'm sure I'll be satisfied.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Scott. I really only have 3 simple requests:

1. Handle with care

2. Ask the player to sign the poster where his Post It flag is.

3. Fine blue Sharpie only

So long as it comes back in one piece, I'm sure I'll be satisfied.
I have dealt with MAB mail order perhaps 25-30 times. I have used Post It notes, etc. as well as sending a letter with pictures letting them know what I wanted in detail.

I've had items come back with signatures signed in places completely different then where the Post It notes indicated, signatures scribbled over the TOP of deceased players (thanks Roy Halladay, good job for $140-yikes!), signatures signed with the wrong color sharpie (Roy Halladay strikes again!), etc.

Just sayin', FWIW... I have never not received an item back, which is a plus.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-17-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would again ask the promoter if a friend can bring the item in for you. That way you know it will done correctly. I am sure there would be many people on here to help you.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Dan Bretta

No way would I let that out of my sight. Good luck to you. A $40,000+ game used Mel Ott bat went missing from John Taube's booth at the National last year...you really think whoever you send this to is going to keep it under 24/7 watch?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM

I completely forgot about the Ott bat fiasco. What a nightmare.

I was also informed that both players will be at The National this summer (plus several other HOFers on my wantlist).

Perhaps someone will be willing to help me out as we get closer to the date.

Thanks to all for the insight. I live in a pretty remote location (far off the regular autograph circuit at least). Otherwise, I would take this in person.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Steve Zarelli

I have some multi-signed and it's always a debate if I want to send them through the mail.

The question I would ask myself is, "Are Alomar and Johnson worth the risk of losing the whole thing?"

Given they are both middle aged and semi-regulars on the show circuit, God willing they will be around for many more years to come. I'd probably wait for an opportunity I could do it myself or someone I trusted could do it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I have some multi-signed and it's always a debate if I want to send them through the mail.

The question I would ask myself is, "Are Alomar and Johnson worth the risk of losing the whole thing?"

Given they are both middle aged and semi-regulars on the show circuit, God willing they will be around for many more years to come. I'd probably wait for an opportunity I could do it myself or someone I trusted could do it.
This. All of this....
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Where do you live. I am sorry to ask that but I bet someone on this site might be closer than you think.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Where do you live. I am sorry to ask that but I bet someone on this site might be closer than you think.
I live in Alberta, Canada. Hardly the North Pole, but over 1,000 miles from the regular circuit.

I think my best bet now might be to hold off until the National in Chicago and see if someone would be willing to get it signed on my behalf.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I live in Alberta, Canada. Hardly the North Pole, but over 1,000 miles from the regular circuit.

I think my best bet now might be to hold off until the National in Chicago and see if someone would be willing to get it signed on my behalf.
I have some contacts at the National and at Tri-Star. If I can help let me know. I will be at the National. That being said, very honestly, I would not want the liability on my shoulders....but if you were to go there I might be able to help some way....LL
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:

i live in Calgary and plan to attend the National this year. should be able to help. chris
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Have you ever contacted Scott/SI King-here is his e-mail address. He works directly with MAB and (I believe) gets everything signed in the Back Room. Have used him many times and always professional and very timely in answering all e-mails, which is always important:

SIKINGCOLLECTION@aol.com

Here is his website:
http://sikingcollection.com/index2.html