NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Charles Victory Faust

We visited a new dogpark today which turned out to share a boundary with the Western State cemetery. I visited this grave.

On the drive home, along a busy road, I noticed something in my rearview window - a baseball was bouncing down the road, alongside my car. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Had to look him up...Amazin' Story!.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 10-19-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 PM
David Linardy

Default Charles "Victory" Faust

Very Cool Scott!

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

From talking with 71buc, I already knew Faust was buried at the Western State Cemetery, but was surprised that we accidentally parked next to it. The cemetery itself is really a pleasant enough place, and they are restoring it - adding nice markers with full names and removing the numbers - but dying at Western State in 1915 was no way to go.

Even today, it's reputation scares people being held at other places - they think that if they get sent there it is because there is no hope, and it's a one-way ticket. That's not true, but it's the belief that somehow gets perpetrated at other facilities where people with mental illnesses are being held. In Pierce County, they are taken there for long-term commitment hearings, and even that experience is horrifying for them. I can only imagine what it must have been like in Charlie Faust's day.

Edited to add - there are over 3,000 people buried in a relatively small area. Originally, all had small stones like the one below the readable one in the picture, that simply have the grave number. Quite a few have been replaced with what looks like marble markers, that are about four times the size of the old stones. Maybe 1/5 or fewer have been replaced. Charlie Faust's marker is a unique type, so I'm guessing it was done privately. Also, his was the only grave with flowers.

Last edited by Runscott; 10-20-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
From talking with 71buc, I already knew Faust was buried at the Western State Cemetery, but was surprised that we accidentally parked next to it. The cemetery itself is really a pleasant enough place, and they are restoring it - adding nice markers with full names and removing the numbers - but dying at Western State in 1915 was no way to go.

Even today, it's reputation scares people being held at other places - they think that if they get sent there it is because there is no hope, and it's a one-way ticket.

So Western State was a looney bin, er, secured facility? Because the occupants of a cemetery pretty much already had their tickets punched, except in the movies.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-20-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
So Western State was a looney bin, er, secured facility? Because the occupants of a cemetery pretty much already had their tickets punched, except in the movies.

Neither. It was, and is, a psychiatric facility. At one point the mentally ill were sent there simply so everyone else could pretend they didn't exist. They lived and died there. Now they live there and get some care - it's primarily for longer term 'treatment' than the other facilities in the state. It's also where the judge will send mentally-ill criminals where they can 'recover' so that they can be sent to a regular prison or be executed.

Last edited by Runscott; 10-20-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:31 PM
pariah1107

Western State and it's reputation was cemented when Frances Farmer was committed in 1944. The Frances Farmer "Wing" of the hospital is a bizarre look at the history of mental health practices in Washington State in the early 1900's. Though the most infamous, besides Western State there was also Green River Hot Springs, Soap Lake, and Medical Lake as mental health facilities in Washington at the time. These are terribly sad stories. I had not heard of Victory Faust, and thank you for sharing. Recovery is a process, and very possible.

Last edited by pariah1107; 10-20-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Western State and it's reputation was cemented when Frances Farmer was committed in 1944. The Frances Farmer "Wing" of the hospital is a bizarre look at the history of mental health practices in Washington State in the early 1900's. Though the most infamous, besides Western State there was also Green River Hot Springs, Soap Lake, and Medical Lake as mental health facilities in Washington at the time. These are terribly sad stories. I had not heard of Victory Faust, and thank you for sharing. Recovery is a process, and very possible.
I forgot about Frances Farmer - what a gut-wrenching movie.

I had heard the stories about the institutions, but it was really scary to hear patients at other facilities talking about their fear of being sent to Western State. Thinking about it more, I'm wondering if that fear wasn't fostered by the staff at the places where they were being treated. Where else would they get that impression?

For the most part, staff members were to be commended - a tough job, and they chose it - even the ones at Western State. There were two issues; however, that made it impossibly difficult for them: a lot of people with mental illnesses simply behave like angry, evil people and the staff have never seen these people when they were their normal selves, so they had no baseline. Also, it's tough even for family members who DO have the baseline, to put up with the abuse from their 'new' loved one. One thing I really wish could happen, would be for the staff members at these places to see people after they are back to normal - I think it would be eye-opening.

I know when laymen like us see mentally-ill people who have gotten treatment and are completely back to normal, most of us consider it an anomaly - a miracle of sorts - and it doesn't push us to take the necessary steps to help the others who haven't been 'cured'. I feel lucky to have spent a number of years living in Belltown, downtown Seattle, and gotten to meet a lot of very special people who are just like us, except they are probably more compassionate and generally more creative and intelligent. And they can take a punch better than most of us.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

The bouncing baseball is weird!

If anyone coming to the thread doesn't knw who Faust was, here's a link to the story and illustration I did of him: VICTORY FAUST
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

Odd, but I didn't think about the baseball until I was creating the post.

Thanks for providing that link.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Fred Snodgrass tells his story on the Glory Of Their Times cd.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Tom Boblitt

Fantastic recollection on the Glory CD.......recommend it highly........