NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Anson

Default Why are these guys still around?

I apologize for yet another thread about this scandal. But as I read the names of the folks involved, many of them seemed familiar from my past life on Net54. I went and did a little digging and these same bad actors are the ones that were discussed back in the early 2000s. If high-profile card doctoring has been going on with the same well-known group of people, why hasn't anything been done in nearly 20 years?

i realize it's hard to prove, but I can't believe they've managed to fly under the criminal justice radar for so long. No wonder they've become so bold and pervasive. It's beyond disgusting.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I apologize for yet another thread about this scandal. But as I read the names of the folks involved, many of them seemed familiar from my past life on Net54. I went and did a little digging and these same bad actors are the ones that were discussed back in the early 2000s. If high-profile card doctoring has been going on with the same well-known group of people, why hasn't anything been done in nearly 20 years?

i realize it's hard to prove, but I can't believe they've managed to fly under the criminal justice radar for so long. No wonder they've become so bold and pervasive. It's beyond disgusting.
Dealers and auction houses either have been complicit or the honest ones, in large part, have just done nothing and enjoyed the price umbrella. The people protesting have mostly been shouted down. Law enforcement has, for reasons of its own, not viewed it as a priority at least in the past. It's the perfect storm.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Law enforcement hasn't viewed it as a priority because there is no crime in breaking a card out of a case, rubbing bleach on it, tinkering with the edges, and maybe touching up a little color and then sending it on to PSA having the industry leading verifying company bless it and return it to you with a new grade, and you make no warranty about the grading or anything else in selling it to someone else.

Yes, I know we've had this discussion many times. . . . .

Sleazy practices don't always equate with illegal behavior.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-23-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Law enforcement hasn't viewed it as a priority because there is no crime in breaking a card out of a case, rubbing bleach on it, tinkering with the edges, and maybe touching up a little color and then sending it on to PSA having the industry leading verifying company bless it and return it to you with a new grade, and you make no warranty about the grading or anything else in selling it to someone else.

No, but fraud is illegal. I'm not getting dragged into this again. Read the Mastro indictment. Read the mail and wire fraud statutes and the textbook definitions of fraud including fraudulent concealment.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Have you talked to law enforcement about this? I have. Are you sure you want to be on record as saying what they think?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

What about fencing, for lack of a better term, altered cards? Knowingly or unknowingly. All these guys giving Brent a pass . Poor guy was targeted since he got the highest prices

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
What about fencing, for lack of a better term, altered cards? Knowingly or unknowingly. All these guys giving Brent a pass . Poor guy was targeted since he got the highest prices
Ted, it's just not worth arguing with some people. Have you seen actual proof with your own eyes the world is round? I haven't.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ted, it's just not worth arguing with some people. Have you seen actual proof with your own eyes the world is round? I haven't.
Youd have to be a space cadet to see/have seen proof

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Youd have to be a space cadet to see/have seen proof

There you go. And I guess you would need video evidence to believe Brent knew what Gary was doing. Emails and personal attestations of conversations, not to mention overwhelming evidence of a pattern of behavior, aren't enough.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

If the earth isn’t round, then the sun is flat and the moon is in Hollywood.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
If the earth isn’t round, then the sun is flat and the moon is in Hollywood.
Dont forget...shall I say

Never forget

Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Have you talked to law enforcement about this? I have. Are you sure you want to be on record as saying what they think?
Sure I'll go on record with my opinions about how the government may or may not view a certain situation legally. In fact I stand up in court and do it all the time.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Sure I'll go on record with my opinions about how the government may or may not view a certain situation legally. In fact I stand up in court and do it all the time.
So now you're admitting you're just speculating. That will hold up real well against my actual conversation with the agent in charge of all this. Not to mention what the law actually is on this subject. Why it would come as a surprise to anyone, especially a lawyer, that defrauding people out of millions of dollars would be criminal, is beyond me at this point.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:42 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Actually, if you have seen a lunar eclipse, where the earth moves between the sun and moon, you have noticed the earth's shadow, seen on the moon, is circular.

So you HAVE seen actual proof the world is round, whether you knew it or not.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Actually, if you have seen a lunar eclipse, where the earth moves between the sun and moon, you have noticed the earth's shadow, seen on the moon, is circular.

I can choose to ignore the proof though, can't I? And just keep repeating that the earth is flat?

Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I can choose to ignore the proof though, can't I? And just keep repeating that the earth is flat?
You can do what you want.

Just sayin' the statement that you haven't seen actual proof the world is round, is not true.

Last edited by Mark17; 06-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Circles are flat, no?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Just sayin' the statement that you haven't seen actual proof the world is round, is not true.
Well Mark if I were a reasonable person I would have to agree with you, of course. Just as I would have to reach the obvious conclusion on the overwhelming state of the evidence about PWCC.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
So now you're admitting you're just speculating. That will hold up real well against my actual conversation with the agent in charge of all this. Not to mention what the law actually is on this subject. Why it would come as a surprise to anyone, especially a lawyer, that defrauding people out of millions of dollars would be criminal, is beyond me at this point.
Yes, I was speculating, and haven't spoken with anyone. And I haven't suggested otherwise.

And obviously you've spoken with folks involved.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

could be round and flat. A disc. HA! :P
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
The ancient Greeks proved it in about 250 BC using not much more than a couple sticks and tape measures and some math. And calculated the circumference within 10%. The experiment they did would actually be easier today.
http://theconversation.com/you-dont-...-science-88106

I'd offer to repeat what they did with you helping, but I think you may be geographically too close to me. Not to mention the potential cost of not billing a bit of time to put a stick in the ground and measure a shadow at a particular time. But at least then you could say you'd seen the evidence firsthand. (Ok, technically half the evidence, unless we swap cellphone videos)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

Actually, your statement is the one that isn't technically true. Peter never said he saw the shadows involved with an eclipse, did he? You're simply assuming he did.
See how easy this game is?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
No, but fraud is illegal. I'm not getting dragged into this again. Read the Mastro indictment. Read the mail and wire fraud statutes and the textbook definitions of fraud including fraudulent concealment.
I feel like we've had this conversation before and that you & I explained it pretty clearly previously. But my memory isn't so good sometimes. Maybe I just daydreamed that.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Johnny MaZilli

These guys are still around for a few of reason...
A. There is money to be made...scamming so they’re gonna try, it’s a thrill for them to one up you and make money.
B. TPG are not catching their crap....
C. No Consequences for their actions...
And worse but hell there is my very small nuts and bolts meat and potatoes simple reasons assessment of why they’re still around.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-24-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I feel like we've had this conversation before and that you & I explained it pretty clearly previously. But my memory isn't so good sometimes. Maybe I just daydreamed that.
Yeah it's frustrating that there is still resistance to this very basic and obvious point.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Actually, your statement is the one that isn't technically true. Peter never said he saw the shadows involved with an eclipse, did he? You're simply assuming he did.
Based on this,
Quote:
Well Mark if I were a reasonable person I would have to agree with you, of course. Just as I would have to reach the obvious conclusion on the overwhelming state of the evidence about PWCC.
it would seem Peter HAS seen an eclipse, since he says he would have to agree with me (if he was a reasonable person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
See how easy this game is?
For some.