NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 PM

Default 1960 Fleer - Branch Rickey - Continental Baseball League

I just got the card and saw that his picture has sign for the Continental League in it. In the bio on the back it says he is starting the new league.

Does anyone know of any other card(s) referring to the Continental League?

(Ps, I want to load pictures of the card, but can’t. I always struggle with this.)

Last edited by rkrolewicz; 06-12-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have the card and never noticed it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 AM

Griffins, Thanks for posting the pic

Last edited by rkrolewicz; 06-12-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Al Richter

I had not noticed either. I think I read where Chuck Connors was discussing Branch Rickey and said Mr Rickey has ball players and he has money and does not believe they should be commingled
Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I don’t believe there are any other Continental League cards. This Rickey is my favorite of the Fleer cards for its unique connection. “Bottom of the Ninth” by Michael Shapiro is a great work on the aborted League if anyone is interested
Old 06-21-2019, 01:15 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Here's a brief synopsis of the Contenental Leage taken from a Mets blog (link provided below) after the passing of New York attorney Bill Shea (whom Shea Stadium was named for).

• Shea was a protégé of George McLaughlin, the banker whose Brooklyn Trust Company long ran the Brooklyn Dodgers. McLaughlin had installed Walter O’Malley to oversee business operations in 1933 and, Dodger fan that he was, ultimately felt personally betrayed by O’Malley moving the club to Los Angeles after the 1957 season.

• Shea was a friend and informal adviser to politicians from both parties, including New York City Mayor Robert Wagner. Wagner tasked Shea with leading a committee that would find a replacement for the Dodgers and Giants. After putting out unsuccessful relocation feelers to existing National League teams, Shea turned his energies to expansion.

• When rebuffed by baseball — “We don’t need New York,” huffed N.L. president Warren Giles — Shea concocted the Continental League, a third major league that would conceivably compete with the National and American for players and profits. It would play in New York as well as markets left out of big-time baseball to date.

• McLaughlin, who remained an upper-echelon power broker in New York, brought Shea together with Branch Rickey (another of his old Dodger hires) to give the Continental League scheme some oomph among baseball men. It was the threat of this new league and all its implications for baseball’s antitrust exemption that shoved the sport’s recalcitrant establishment to agree to expand.

• Shea’s trump card was attracting serious investors in markets like Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth for the Continental. Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth are in Texas, home to Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson and House Speaker Samuel Rayburn. They absolutely ran Congress and would not look kindly on a sport/business that arbitrarily blocked Texas from making the majors.

• It was an intricate plan, but it worked essentially as Shea wanted it to. Baseball caved.

http://www.faithandfearinflushing.co...hind-the-name/

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 06-21-2019, 03:08 AM
Anthøny N. ex

This was a pretty good history of the Continental League
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 1.54.44 AM.jpg (16.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:23 PM

Nice stuff folks. Thanks!