NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 AM
€d M!££w00D

Default Raw or graded - need advice for Aaron collection

I know this topic has previously been discussed, but I would like advice for my specific situation. I am about to complete my Topps Hank Aaron set (all regular issue Topps 1954-1976). This is for my PC and I have no plans to sell. I am trying to decide if I should leave them raw or submit to TPG (primarily for protection). Most would probably grade a 5 or 6 (some maybe slightly higher or lower). I currently have them stored in a penny sleeves/toploaders in Ultra Pro 4-card sheets.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM

I would not bother with grading them.

If you were selling them, maybe the 54 rookie.

Last edited by David W; 11-16-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
I would not bother with grading them.

If you were selling them, maybe the 54 rookie.
x2
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

I agree. If it is just for your personal collection, there doesn't seem to be any reason whatsoever to grade them.

You can take the money you save on grading fees and start on an Eddie Mathews or Warren Spahn collection! (I see you are from Atlanta so I assume a Braves fan?)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM770 View Post
I agree. If it is just for your personal collection, there doesn't seem to be any reason whatsoever to grade them.

You can take the money you save on grading fees and start on an Eddie Mathews or Warren Spahn collection! (I see you are from Atlanta so I assume a Braves fan?)
I am definitely a Braves fan. Great idea on the Spahn collection. I will probably avoid the Matthews as I am too OCD not to have every card and I know I will never be able to afford the 1952 Matthews!

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I would leave them ungraded....
Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Mikeknapp

Leave them in their natural state. Post them as well. I would love to see them. Aaron and Clemente permeate my own collection. I have yet to have one graded. My 1954 Johnston Aaron was graded prior to my ownership and my 1954 Topps Aaron is ungraded. I would guess it's a PSA 5 but I don't plan selling it so I will not pay to have it entombed.

Recently I have been buying a lot of Aaron memorabilia produced between 1973-75. There was a plethora of wonderfully tacky Aaron memorabilia produced during that time that is both cheap and entertaining to stumble upon.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Leave them in their natural state. Post them as well. I would love to see them. Aaron and Clemente permeate my own collection. I have yet to have one graded. My 1954 Johnston Aaron was graded prior to my ownership and my 1954 Topps Aaron is ungraded. I would guess it's a PSA 5 but I don't plan selling it so I will not pay to have it entombed.

Recently I have been buying a lot of Aaron memorabilia produced between 1973-75. There was a plethora of wonderfully tacky Aaron memorabilia produced during that time that is both cheap and entertaining to stumble upon.
I have posted the "base" Topps Aaron cards I have. 57 and 55 are on the way. Last purchase will be the 54. I know these aren't the condition that many of you collect, but I am putting this collection together on a public school employee's budget so I am pretty happy with them. I also have all of the other Aaron Topps regular issue cards (leaders, all-stars, etc.) in similar condition, just didn't take the time to scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aaron cards 001.jpg (76.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron cards 2 001.jpg (76.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron cards 3 001.jpg (77.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron cards 4 001.jpg (76.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron cards 5 001.jpg (77.1 KB, 143 views)

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
I have posted the "base" Topps Aaron cards I have. 57 and 55 are on the way. Last purchase will be the 54. I know these aren't the condition that many of you collect, but I am putting this collection together on a public school employee's budget so I am pretty happy with them. I also have all of the other Aaron Topps regular issue cards (leaders, all-stars, etc.) in similar condition, just didn't take the time to scan.
Great cards, and much better condition that almost everything in my collection. As far as grading, I am always a bit on the fence on the whole issue. I like the added protection when I spread out the cards and flip through them but hate the extra space the graded cards take out. If you have the storage space and feel like you would get more enjoyment out of them with that extra layer of protection, I see nothing wrong with sending them in. Then again, the money could go to extra cards.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Great cards, and much better condition that almost everything in my collection. As far as grading, I am always a bit on the fence on the whole issue. I like the added protection when I spread out the cards and flip through them but hate the extra space the graded cards take out. If you have the storage space and feel like you would get more enjoyment out of them with that extra layer of protection, I see nothing wrong with sending them in. Then again, the money could go to extra cards.
Thanks. I just enjoy collecting so condition not a huge issue. I do avoid tears, paper loss, writing, pin holes, and heavy creases. I can pretty live with everything else. After reading the responses, I have about decided to keep them raw. I agree with you about the protection slabs provide. I keep each card in a penny sleeve, then a toploader, and finally a team bag. I think it provides pretty good protection.

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Hammertime

Love the Aarons. I am a big Hank fan too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Erik

Quote:
Thanks. I just enjoy collecting so condition not a huge issue. I do avoid tears, paper loss, writing, pin holes, and heavy creases. I can pretty live with everything else. After reading the responses, I have about decided to keep them raw. I agree with you about the protection slabs provide. I keep each card in a penny sleeve, then a toploader, and finally a team bag. I think it provides pretty good protection.
Nice cards, I am envious.

I prefer storing most of my cards in Card Saver 1's. Those penny sleeves are always a pain in the butt and the cards don't stay secure in top loaders like they do in Card Saver 1's. This is just my opinion though.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Mikeknapp

Thanks for sharing them. You have a very nice group of Aarons there.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Thanks for sharing them. You have a very nice group of Aarons there.
Thanks. Growing up in Atlanta in the 1970s, Aaron was the face of Atlanta sports. He always was classy and I never forgot how he carried himself. He probably doesn't get the respect he deserves since he played in (at the time) smaller markets, but he continues to be a beloved figure here in Atlanta still today.

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Al Richter

Default Aaron

Nice cards Ed, but you will not be keeping them "raw ". You will be keeping them in their natural state....which is a good thing
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Nice cards Ed, but you will not be keeping them "raw ". You will be keeping them in their natural state....which is a good thing
I stand corrected. Natural state is a much better term.

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Thanks. Growing up in Atlanta in the 1970s, Aaron was the face of Atlanta sports. He always was classy and I never forgot how he carried himself. He probably doesn't get the respect he deserves since he played in (at the time) smaller markets, but he continues to be a beloved figure here in Atlanta still today.
Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson have to be two of the most under appreciated super stars in the history of baseball. I was 11 in 1974 and distinctly remember watching the game on TV on April 8th. It is one of my fondest childhood memories. I always loved Vin Scully's call of Aaron's 715th. It can be heard at the 55 second mark on the audio clip located below.

https://archive.org/details/HankAaro...DifferentCalls

Last edited by 71buc; 11-16-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson have to be two of the most under appreciated super stars in the history of baseball. I was 11 in 1974 and distinctly remember watching the game on TV on April 8th. It is one of my fondest childhood memories. I always loved Vin Scully's call of Aaron's 715th. It can be heard at the 55 second mark on the audio clip located below.

https://archive.org/details/HankAaro...DifferentCalls
Mike,

Very cool audio. Thanks for sending. Like you, I was young (9) in 1974 but I will never forget that moment. The Vin Scully call is a classic and very accurate about the impact that this moment had on Atlanta.

Ed
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Mike,

Very cool audio. Thanks for sending. Like you, I was young (9) in 1974 but I will never forget that moment. The Vin Scully call is a classic and very accurate about the impact that this moment had on Atlanta.
It was a special time in my life. On jan 1, 1973 I vowed to name my future son after Roberto and on April 8, 1974 I knew I had to fit Hank in there as well. On June 30, 1990 I kept that promise by naming my first born Aaron Clemente.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:26 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
It was a special time in my life. On jan 1, 1973 I vowed to name my future son after Roberto and on April 8, 1974 I knew I had to fit Hank in there as well. On June 30, 1990 I kept that promise by naming my first born Aaron Clemente.
That is awesome. Two great role models. Maybe I am just getting old and nostalgic, but not sure there are many of today's superstars that kids can look up to. Maybe Jeter. The early-mid 70s was a fun time to be a young baseball fan.

Ed
Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Heck, Ed, those are great. Just like mine. I collect Aaron stuff too as he was an idol of mine as a kid and he was one of the few [Mays] who did not disappoint when I finally got to meet him many years later. A grand gentleman of the game.

I wouldn't slab them. I used to have the slab thing going but it wasn't fun for me. Putting them in an album, kicking back with a cold one, and reliving childhood memories, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Some Aaron items from my collection [I like oddball stuff]:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Heck, Ed, those are great. Just like mine. I collect Aaron stuff too as he was an idol of mine as a kid and he was one of the few [Mays] who did not disappoint when I finally got to meet him many years later. A grand gentleman of the game.

I wouldn't slab them. I used to have the slab thing going but it wasn't fun for me. Putting them in an album, kicking back with a cold one, and reliving childhood memories, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Some Aaron items from my collection [I like oddball stuff]:

Adam,

Great Aarons. Thanks for sharing and for the input. I will be keeping my Aarons raw or, as another member suggested, in their natural state (I like that term). I agree about the nostalgia. I can actually still smell the gum on some of the cards! Pretty cool way to bring back memories.

Ed
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Al Richter

Default Aaron

Some more

Blue

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Some more

Blue

Al,

Great stuff, thanks for posting. Several of those items are still on my Aaron want list. The Aaron Plaks and Deckle Edge are two of my next targets.

Ed

Last edited by Vintagevault13; 11-17-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Default Hammer

Quote:
Our family drove down from NC several time during the early 1970's to watch the Braves play. Saw Hank hit a homer and Niekro pitch in the 2nd game of a doubleheader....great memories

Also, saw Denny McLain make his Atlanta debut (forget which year now).
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Erik

My favorite Henry Aaron memory dates back to 1975, the first year I collected baseball cards. A neighbor who lived at the end of our street bought a pack of cards as did I. I had an Aaron and he had Dick Allen, who at the time was my favorite player on my favorite team, the ChiSox.

I traded the Aaron straight up for Allen. In hindsight, not the best trade, but I have no regrets. I got my favorite player though when I turned the card over I saw that unbeknownst to me, he was traded to the Atlanta Braves...ahhhh!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Jake Dahl

Default Aaron set

Ed nice Aaron set the cards look awesome

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
My favorite Henry Aaron memory dates back to 1975, the first year I collected baseball cards. A neighbor who lived at the end of our street bought a pack of cards as did I. I had an Aaron and he had Dick Allen, who at the time was my favorite player on my favorite team, the ChiSox.

I traded the Aaron straight up for Allen. In hindsight, not the best trade, but I have no regrets. I got my favorite player though when I turned the card over I saw that unbeknownst to me, he was traded to the Atlanta Braves...ahhhh!
That is funny. I think we all have stories about bad trades we made as a kid. I began collecting in 1974 and never saw any need to keep many doubles. I remember throwing/giving away MANY 1974 Aarons, Roses, and other stars.

Ed
Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Yankees View Post
Ed nice Aaron set the cards look awesome
Thanks. It has been a fun set to build.

Ed
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyBurgess View Post
Our family drove down from NC several time during the early 1970's to watch the Braves play. Saw Hank hit a homer and Niekro pitch in the 2nd game of a doubleheader....great memories

Also, saw Denny McLain make his Atlanta debut (forget which year now).
That must have been a great trip getting to see two future HOFers. As bad as the old Atlanta-Fulton County stadium was, I actually miss it. Like you, I have several fond memories of games there in the 70's.

Ed
Old 11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Doug Goodman

I saw #751 at the Oakland Coliseum and got his autograph on a baseball that day. Here's my favorite Hank card(s), from my collection, in their natural state (hi Al) :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58T-030-Aaron-variations-front.jpg (81.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I saw #751 at the Oakland Coliseum and got his autograph on a baseball that day. Here's my favorite Hank card(s), from my collection, in their natural state (hi Al) :
Great cards. The '58 is a beautiful card.

Ed
Old 11-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Al Richter

Default Blue

Is that natural ?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Mark

Here's a hank Aaron collectible you've never seen before.

This is the actual script from the Happy days television show that Hank used when he made a guest appearance on the show. I had a close friend who was the casting director on that show and she grabbed this for me.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice script!

1974 Linnett pin up

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Mikeknapp

I made this collage in Corel Draw. It shows a small amount of my Hank Aaron stuff and is a pretty accurate reflection of my collecting style. I suppose I am a bit of a collecting Hoe as I like it all. There are a few diamonds and a lot of what I consider worthless but fun sh*t
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hank_Aaron_crap.jpg (83.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Erik

Quote:
I made this collage in Corel Draw. It shows a small amount of my Hank Aaron stuff and is a pretty accurate reflection of my collecting style. I suppose I am a bit of a collecting Hoe as I like it all. There are a few diamonds and a lot of what I consider worthless but fun sh*t
Very cool! It is priceless not worthless.