NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Paul S

Default You ever have an auto that you know is genuine

because you witnessed it being signed, and yet others say it's fake? Curious how often this happens
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM

I have. I posted this Sandy Koufax autograph I obtained in person at Spring Training two years ago and people said if I hadn't said I got this signature myself, they would have thought it was no good. However, in my personal experience this is the most authentic Koufax that exists:

Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Here's a Bryce Harper that gets looks too. Also got this one at Spring Training:

Old 11-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Brendan Mullen

Story told a couple of times: I have a Michael Jordan signed Bulls jersey. Signed in front of me, along with a rookie card and an 8x10 and a basketball and a baseball. My uncle did bodyguard work for him so I had access to him for years. After 10+ years, I decide to sell the jersey and basketball last year. The ball passes, the jersey doesn't. Signed in front of me...
Old 11-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

I suspect that this personally-obtained Mike Schmidt autograph would not pass scrutinization of many Net54 members:

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Michael

2 IP Ichiros failed the first time, passed the 2nd time
Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Rob

I'm sure it happens hundreds if not thousands of times per day because autograph collectors think they're experts and autographs must look exactly a certain way regardless of the signers age, mood, level of sobriety, arthritis and on and on and on.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Dan Bretta

I still think the Mantle ball I posted in here two years ago that got the thumbs up from everyone here and later failed JSA is real.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I'm sure it happens hundreds if not thousands of times per day because autograph collectors think they're experts and autographs must look exactly a certain way regardless of the signers age, mood, level of sobriety, arthritis and on and on and on.
absolutely, I mean look at these 4 Hank Aaron sigs:

early:

middle:

retired:

now the recent old age one :

all are authentic best I can tell, but that is a big change over the years!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 AM

I think the issue is more related to in person signings and a hobby view that every signature should be pristine. Shows really took off and private signings too. I think the majority of autographs obtained are at one or the other. But there is still a thriving in person autograph realm and you can't hold these types of signatures up to the same aesthetic scale. There are going to be variances due to crowd size, being in a hurry, etc.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I and A couple other board members went to a Jim Thome signing. What we all experienced was 2 distinct signatures depending on what he was signing. Balls jerseys etc. Got the A Signature cards tickets flats got the hurried B Signature.
As for in person signatures folks like Jacoby Elisbury Giancarlo Stanton David Ortiz and many many others use a glyph or shortened signature when signing for a crowd. Tough to authenticate
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I and A couple other board members went to a Jim Thome signing. What we all experienced was 2 distinct signatures depending on what he was signing. Balls jerseys etc. Got the A Signature cards tickets flats got the hurried B Signature.
As for in person signatures folks like Jacoby Elisbury Giancarlo Stanton David Ortiz and many many others use a glyph or shortened signature when signing for a crowd. Tough to authenticate
Yea, just look at all the new signed rookie cards inserted into modern day packs. Most are nothing more than a letter or 2 and either a line or loop or other random scribble. Very few have anything remotely legible anymore.

There are some good ones but they're few and far between.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 11-22-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
because you witnessed it being signed, and yet others say it's fake? Curious how often this happens
I had a Muhammad Ali signed baseball removed by ebay years ago and iI personally handed him the ball at a little league baseball game and watched him sign it. Strange