NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Trader's etiquette

Posted By: Ben

Over the past several years, I've had the pleasure of trading with a significant number of board members here. Not surprisingly, the overwhelming majority of these trades have gone over extremely well, and both parties were the better for it. There have been, however, a few instances where this was not the case. Most of the time, this was simply chalked up to inexperience...because I believe it takes some practice to become a "good trader". So, I'm starting this thread not with the intention of bitching and moaning, but so that newbies to trading might have a few helpful pointers to make their future trades successful ones. After all, trading can be alot of fun when done the right way! So allow me to start us off with a few pointers of my own.

1. Common courtesy and politeness.

Good communication is absolutely crucial for good trading. Exercise common courtesy in your emails by starting with a greeting, and by addressing the person by their first name. By being polite and personable, the other person will be more inclined to work with you on a trade, and they will remember you for next time. Also, try to respond to emails within a reasonable amount of time. There's nothing worse than to be kept in suspense for a week and a half only to be told in a one-liner email "no thanks, but check for em on ebay!" And finally, after you've agreed to a trade, let the other person know when their cards have been mailed and when yours are received.

2. Hyping your cards

Avoid talking up your cards to your trading partner. If they are interested in trading for your cards, chances are they already know why they are special. The reverse is also true - refrain from talking down the other person's cards! This is a huge pet peeve of mine. There must be something good about them if you're interested in trading for them in the first place, so hold off on the "it's in terrible shape!" or "the registration isnt so good" comments....nobody knows these sorts of things better than the owner themselves. Talking down like this is a huge turnoff.

3. Book values

Insisting on having exact book value matches on trades is usually not the best idea - it makes trading very difficult, and usually slows the process down to a halt. After all, you are trading baseball cards, not standard catalogues.

4. "Make me an offer"

When someone posts a card for sale/trade and says "make me an offer", don't send them a one line email saying "how much?" Just make them an offer, and it better be a fair one because all a lowball will do is piss the other guy off, and jeopardize whatever chances you had of acquiring the card in the first place.

So those are my observations. Please add more if something comes to mind. Hopefully they come in handy to a few of us, so that future trades become easier and more fun for everyone. HAPPY TRADING!

Ben