NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
My assumption, after reading the email, was that Kevin may not have provided an honest response when asked to review cards for certain collectors (which he states he has done hundreds of times). In other words, upon reviewing an altered card, he simply failed to disclose his opinion that the card was indeed altered - thereby insuring that the particular card took its place in the "targets" collection.

Of course, there are a lot of assumptions in there.
Why would Kevin do this to Jim Crandel?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeU View Post
Why would Kevin do this to Jim Crandel?
Good point
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default Kevin

To me this is not even in the same league as the Chan stuff. I have never even seen kevin post cards for sale and certainly not thousand dollar cards. Kevin has been open about what he is doing and I found many of his post and test my insightful. In any case it seemed to me more like bragging, granted never a good thing to do.

I do think that JK made a good point that maybe he reviewed cards and didnt give the true feedback. This could happen for many reasons, some good and some not so much. I for one would hate to tell someone that their most prized card is altered, bleh. I hate telling friends that their 80's cards are worthless when they think they have a jackpot. Also I know he is close to Jim C and how much he prizes his collection and would not want to be the one to tell him one of his best cards might be altered and with 20,000 graded PSA 8's im sure more than a couple are altered.

That said even if kevin feels a card is altered do we really know? I have two cards that PSA and SGC disagree on, one thinks its trimmed and the other said its fine so how do we really know.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:35 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

"I do think that JK made a good point that maybe he reviewed cards and didnt give the true feedback. This could happen for many reasons, some good and some not so much. I for one would hate to tell someone that their most prized card is altered, bleh."

Scott understood but do you think I enjoyed telling the owners of the Hart card who I consider close friends their five figure card and pride of their T206 back collection was a fake?

The point is even that argument holds little water for me if you're out to make the hobby a better place you can't just do that for your pals or hold back info to protect your feelings or someone else’s IMO.

Besides I think the comments Kevin made were very telling to me regardless of how you dice it.

I never did considered Kevin quite the white knight a lot of folks did but I wasn't turned off to him either. I just always chalked Kevin up to be somewhat of a self promoting business man with an idea for a 4th party review service for big dollar cards. Not unlike the card pricing site business startups awhile back using the board as a platform etc.

Now after reading this I'm pretty clear and have come to the conclusion I would never send Kevin any $$$ cards and his creditability with me is way below that of any of the 3rd party grading companies.

Do I think Kevin is a master forger nope I think Kevin is his own biggest fan in that area.

I do feel that honest folks don’t say stuff like that or even allude to it joke or not that's what really bothers me.

I also thought the folks on here should know. I would feel pretty bad if Kevin did turn out bad later on and folks who were sending him cards got burned in someway.

With that said I do respect all of your opinions that's what is great about discussions like this.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 05-13-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Kevin and Jim C.

My recollection is that the last time Jim C. spoke on the subject he said Kevin had NOT actually reviewed any cards for him.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Joann

I agree that it's hard to imagine he's done this, as I stated in my first post, because of the logistical difficulty of getting one particular card into the hands of one particular person.

But what bothers me a lot - a ton - is wondering if that has been the only reason it hasn't happened. Because it sure looks to me like the rest of it is there - the desire to do it, maybe the intent to do it, the skill to do it, possibly even the plotting or trying to figure out how to do it.

And Dan, bravado is definitely a reasonable first read. But it bothers me that it was so unsolicited and that it was a claim of something already done.

My read is that this is something he has at least considered at a level beyond idle musings. And given that he is able to make some really sophisticated alterations, that is a scary thought.

J
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Joann- Kevin has been a good guy and despite his odd post I will give him the benefit of the doubt. But there are many people with paper restoration skills, and a percentage of them are doing bad things. And many of the cards they have expertly repaired have been submitted to grading services. I have absolutely no idea how many get caught, but I can say with certainty a percentage of them get slabbed. And these cards have circulated around the hobby. Many of them will continue to transact and never be detected, others will be intercepted. It's very unfortunate, but it's out there.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default all I will say

All I will say on this subject is that

Birds of a feather flock together.

(pun intended...sorry Jon (sic) I couldn't resist)...

Last edited by Leon; 05-13-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: edited out a derogatory comment and typo
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Barry Sloate

I wish I understood Leon's cryptic message.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Jeff

birds/flock/chickens/feathers?