NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default Network 54 Dinner – Thank You for Having Meat

Posted By: Joshua Leland Evans

Last night was the Network 54 Dinner
I was asked to speak and must admit had a little bit of consternation about doing so
I have gotten some rough treatment on the board at times (not that in my position I don’t warrant it nor deserve it) so I was a little bit nervous going in

I had a blast
You made me feel welcome, you were a wonderful audience and the overall atmosphere was simply fun
It was about sharing this thing that we all love to do and in many ways was truly a celebration
Phil Garry did a short quiz on hall of famer’s rookie issues where everyone shouted out their answers
Brian Wentz shocked me with his knowledge (as I told him I always thought he was just a “money guy” but he was a true hobbyist)
Rick Klein was amazingly strong in post war issues
Corey Shanus was the only damper accosting me for mispronouncing his name
Just kidding, he good-naturedly corrected me and besides he still owns the best piece in the hobby so I have to be nice to him

I want to think Leon most of all for making me feel very much at home and doing a great job putting the event together

But most importantly I must say the stir fry was as good as the voluminous published reports (lots of chicken)
I must apologize to the chef who had the misfortune of making mine
I controlled most of his moves including literally reaching over and working the pan myself when he was working on the other guy’s food
All I had was two bucks to tip him and he would not even look at me
Oh well, you can’t have everyone like you

Josh Evans
Lelands.com

edited title to be correct number

Old 08-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks so much for speaking at our Dinner. You don't know how many folks came up to me afterwards and told me how much they enjoyed your speech. Thanks too for the plug for Scott's and my auction....take care and hope to see you next year too......leon

Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Josh's speech was top notch and thoughtful. One point he made that I remember was that there are still lots of unknown collections, contrary to the popular notion, but it takes diligence to find them and auctioneers are the best at that. Also, running an auction isn't the cash-generating machine that many suppose it to be - commissions are what's required to stay afloat. Those have been on the demand side (i.e., for buyers) in the last few years, but that could change.

Bill