NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 PM

Default Does Everyone Understand Pre-War?

I log into the Pre-War forum today to find three front page threads about: Clemente, Jackie Robinson, and Rizzuto.

Not one of these guys played pro ball Pre-War. (Rizzuto played a bit during the War, but not Pre-War...most of his career was after the War.)

I like the enthusiasm of the new members, but maybe they don't understand that there is a separate forum for Post-War? (I don't go there because I only care about Pre-War.)

There is also another front page thread about 1951 Topps cards.

I'm not a moderator, but it is frustrating to have to sift through threads that don't belong on this forum.

Rant over.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 04-21-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was Pre-Gwar.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:18 AM

Default Let's crank it back a decade or two

I agree, not aGwar. I don't think I have made a single post-war post over my Net54 career (I consider it a career), and have noticed the board drifting up a decade or more as time goes by. Come on people, start the pre-war post machine! I will start a pre-war thread up here shortly, once I figure out what in the fadoodle I want to post about.

By the way, Phil Rizzuto started his MLB in April 1941, pre-US involvement in WW2. I know he has a Double Play card.

Brian
Old 04-22-2016, 04:03 AM
Lonnie Nagel

hmmm.... must be a slow news day
Old 04-22-2016, 04:11 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

No, it's a reasonable complaint. There are Off-Topic boards, there are modern boards, and there are post-war boards. So everything that gets posted there is better off somewhere else. Prince nor Jake Arrieta are pre-war baseball players. It is becoming clutter.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:58 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Sift through?

What does it take a whole 5-10 seconds to read the title of the thread? I would rather see some off topics then have the board be stagnant with no fresh discussions. I understand there is a postwar board but i believe we all know this is the main board on this site. I too would like more prewar discussions on the prewar board but am certainly not bothered by talk of other vintage payers.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM
Daryl

I rarely start a thread, so it figures that my OT thread about the Cubbies is the last straw.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Does Everyone Understand Pre-War?
The answer to your question is NO.

I read this thread this morning and didn't comment, but I thought the OP was being too uptight. I moved on to other threads. Then, I read the E90-1 Young thread in total disbelief.

Now, I am in agreement with the OP of this thread. He is spot on. How can anyone that knows anything about E90-1s look at that card and not know it's real? The OP is right. We do need more Pre-War threads, more Pre-War knowledge.

I'm not calling anyone out, so don't take it personal if I quoted you, but here are some of the comments in that thread about the Young:
  • very...very...BAD!
  • The color is washed out. The corners are uniformly rounded. It doesn't look like real E90-1 Young cards.
  • Note how different the background looks. Shadows etc.
  • and the "quaity" of the type in the name, team...the fake is different...look closely...not the right color either.
  • All bad, IMO. All exhibit similar corner wear....
  • obvious fakes

Here's the one that takes the cake about the Young card. "...no way I take this gamble. And I like to gamble. The payoff isn't high enough and it doesn't seem worth the shipping and grading fees to find out." If you have a card in hand and you can't tell if it is fake or not and have to send it to some third party authenticator to determine that for you, you are in the wrong hobby.

Again, not calling anybody out and if I quoted you, don't take it personal. However, many of these comments were made by long time board members that should know the difference between a real and a fake.

The OP of this thread is right - less OT threads and more Pre-War threads - especially when people can't tell the difference between a real or fake E90-1. And I've been guilty of participating in the OT main board threads too. Shame on me. It's just sad though when we (as a group), a Pre-War board, has regressed to the point that we can't tell the difference between a real and fake E90-1 Young, but we can tell you anything about Bryce Harper, Phil Rizzuto, Prince, etc. Again, I've been just as guilty. Shame on us.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

enough of this.

i get where anyone is coming from w/ the kaline, the 54 aaron threads and things of that sort. (note: those were not my threads)

but prince dying? i mean c'mon. seriously. it's freaking prince. and he's influenced every board member here one way or another even if you don't realize it.

the man was a national treasure. and i bet you go to any message board about any topic and there is a "rip prince" thread.

so quit complaining and comparing the man to a box of 88 donruss that shouldn't be here.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
but prince dying? i mean c'mon. seriously. it's freaking prince. and he's influenced every board member here one way or another even if you don't realize it.
Sorry, Bob, but grown male adults that dress in purple and have whiney feminine voices don't influence me. If you liked him, so be it. No knocking you - to each his own.

However, it belongs in the Watercooler section with all the other RIPs...like Glen Frey's RIP...someone that actually did influence me.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Neil Young has a high voice too, surely you don't dislike him?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Neil Young has a high voice too, surely you don't dislike him?
Funny you mention that, Peter. I was having this exact conversation with someone at work this morning. I love music from that era, but no, I can't stand Young - specifically for his voice.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

he may not have directly. but i guarantee you he influenced some other artist you like. again, "even if you don't realize it".

i'm a glen frey fan too. just don't play me hotel california.

quick question: are you an eric clapton fan?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Clapton? Yes.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

of course you do:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1151.jpg (16.7 KB, 326 views)
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If you have a card in hand and you can't tell if it is fake or not and have to send it to some third party authenticator to determine that for you, you are in the wrong hobby.

Again, not calling anybody out and if I quoted you, don't take it personal. However, many of these comments were made by long time board members that should know the difference between a real and a fake.
I haven't read the referenced thread, but hoping this is somewhat of a rule-of-thumb statement and not rule-of-fact (or perhaps specific to the thread/poster). Otherwise there would never be any forgeries that get passed off as the real thing in any area, which goes against numerous forgeries that have fooled even the 'experts'.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:43 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
... If you have a card in hand and you can't tell if it is fake or not and have to send it to some third party authenticator to determine that for you, you are in the wrong hobby.
Hi David, you might've been sarcastic when you stated the above, but I don't think that's totally fair. In prewar, there are so many different types of cards with different card stocks and printing methods. You almost need to specialize in a particular area to know whether it is truly authentic or not, even if you do have the card in hand. For example, T206 print anomalies, you might not know you have a true one unless you show it to mrvster, even if you have the card in hand. I once had a Butterfinger ad card, which I purchased from a long time and reputable dealer, which we bought thought were real until I sent it in for authentication and it was returned as fake (and which Leon confirmed since he owned authentic ones before). There is definitely more prewar knowledge that can be gained, so I am definitely in agreement with you there. However, the whole E90-1 thread, frankly, that card had all of the typical signs of being fake. It's definitely one of the exception cases.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Hello, Gary. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic but, as you made me realize, I may have been too harsh. You're right, not everyone can know everything about all different types of cards. I certainly don't. I wouldn't have any idea if I was holding a real Butterfinger or not. My comment was meant to be more in general with mainstream prewar cards, which really E90-1s are
Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

I read this thread this morning and didn't comment, but I thought the OP was being too uptight. I moved on to other threads. Then, I read the E90-1 Young thread in total disbelief.

Now, I am in agreement with the OP of this thread. He is spot on. How can anyone that knows anything about E90-1s look at that card and not know it's real? The OP is right. We do need more Pre-War threads, more Pre-War knowledge.

I'm not calling anyone out, so don't take it personal if I quoted you, but here are some of the comments in that thread about the Young:
  • very...very...BAD!
  • The color is washed out. The corners are uniformly rounded. It doesn't look like real E90-1 Young cards.
  • and the "quaity" of the type in the name, team...the fake is different...look closely...not the right color either.
  • obvious fakes

Here's the one that takes the cake about the Young card. "...no way I take this gamble. And I like to gamble. The payoff isn't high enough and it doesn't seem worth the shipping and grading fees to find out." If you have a card in hand and you can't tell if it is fake or not and have to send it to some third party authenticator to determine that for you, you are in the wrong hobby.

The OP of this thread is right - less OT threads and more Pre-War threads - especially when people can't tell the difference between a real or fake E90-1. And I've been guilty of participating in the OT main board threads too. Shame on me. It's just sad though when we (as a group), a Pre-War board, has regressed to the point that we can't tell the difference between a real and fake E90-1 Young, but we can tell you anything about Bryce Harper, Phil Rizzuto, Prince, etc. Again, I've been just as guilty. Shame on us.
I was the one who made the comment you mentioned. It's not just about telling if the card is fake or not, but if it's been altered and would receive a numerical grade. As PSA has been known to get it wrong, or have different results when submitting a card multiple times it is a valid concern. Even if the card is real it's still a gamble, and I stand by my assessment that with the information available to me at the time I made the comment it was not a gamble worth taking.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Based on the initial scan I don't think it was so obvious it was real. Particularly from a zero feedback seller with the old line about been in the family forever. But maybe I need to learn more about prewar. I will study up with Neil Young in the background.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-22-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

dont be denied.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

FWIW, I'd rather read a thread about Prince than another one about Bryce Harper in the pre-war section.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:

• very...very...BAD!
  • obvious fakes

Hey There David!,

I Mention'd that the E90-1 and E95 Both Have the Same Papar Stock!
And THaT E90-1's Nevar Fray at the Ends Like this E90-1 Has...
So We Disagree!
I've Been Handling E90-1's & E95's fir the Last 4 years ... Diligently!
And I Always Start with The Papar Stock...

Okay... There's my BeginiN Reason Why I Think the Cards are Fake!
So, Tell Us Why You Think There Real!?
You Didn't Give any Reason(s) fir their Authenticity ...
Just Boast'd THaT They Are Real!

And Just ta Note...
You Didn't Call me Out
Old 04-23-2016, 05:51 AM
Paul

Quote:

• very...very...BAD!
  • obvious fakes

+1

I was equally surprised by the number of people convinced the card was fake. To me that was people making a decision about the cards based on a zero feedback seller and shoddy grammar in the listing. The photos of the cards was not ideal either but I don't think there were any red flags about authenticity.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Kin K.

I can't even seem to get away from whining on sports cards message boards.

First off, if you click on "Net54Baseball Homepage," it brings you to this forum. That pretty much assures that you will see random posts.

I have posted a thread in this forum that isn't "Pre War Baseball" and will continue to post in that thread. I'm not sorry about it at all. There wasn't a natural place for it. I posted it in this forum. It's gotten comments. I'm sorry you are being inconvenienced. The world isn't all unicorns and fields of daisies.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 PM

I always thought prewar meant before the next war. They come so quickly.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
I can't even seem to get away from whining on sports cards message boards.

First off, if you click on "Net54Baseball Homepage," it brings you to this forum. That pretty much assures that you will see random posts.

I have posted a thread in this forum that isn't "Pre War Baseball" and will continue to post in that thread. I'm not sorry about it at all. There wasn't a natural place for it. I posted it in this forum. It's gotten comments. I'm sorry you are being inconvenienced. The world isn't all unicorns and fields of daisies.
Anarchy...

"And So iT BeGiNs...The Next Generation!"

As Always my Friends...

Last edited by irishdenny; 04-23-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Daryl

The irony of this thread is palpable.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
The irony of this thread is palpable.
I agree.