NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Case of 1976 Topps

So this is kind of crazy - I started back into collecting after selling a tech company that I started. Since then I've been posting my latest pickups on Facebook. A friend of mine who is the CEO of another company who I used to share office space with resched out to me after seeing my posts and asked me if I wanted to buy his case of 1976 topps football. I corrected him and said "you mean box" and he said no case. Apparently when he sold his company he bought a house and found the case in the attic. He opened two boxes (about half the packs in the second box) It's a case of wax boxes and he thinks there are 15 boxes in it (we have to take a trip up to Jersey once we are both done w work travel to verify) but I think there may be more. So two questions - one, can anyone verify how many boxes are in a wax case? I'd like to plan a bit before we get up there. The second question is basically what do we think is the best way to sell. I've got time to sell one at a time (and grading the boxes w PSA) but I wonder if there is a better route. I feel like the auction houses will come in lower than that total and I know BBCE offers 5k a box so that's probably the basement price but very curious to hear opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by kevinlenane; 08-19-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM
John

Sounds like a great find - hopefully others can help - I don't know anything about the unopened market - just from reading the Collector's Universe board I recall people talking about having unopened material authenticated by BBCE, but why them and not a grading company - I have no idea....

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 08-19-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Scott Gerace

Hi Kevin,
If it were me, I'd probably negotiate a favorable commission w/ one of the leading auction houses, hopefully around 5% of the hammer, and let them do the work and sell it all in one shot. They would get enough w/ the buyer's premium. A case w/ Walter Payton's RC in it will get a ton of interest with the right advertising. Try Huggins & Scott, Legendary Auctions, etc...see what each of them has to offer (can't hurt).

I personally wouldn't try to sell them myself because you really have to trust somebody when you are bidding on unopened material and I wouldn't have the name recognition that a large auction house has. Just my 2 cents, hopefully you found it helpful.

Regards,
Scott
Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_GERACE View Post
Hi Kevin,
If it were me, I'd probably negotiate a favorable commission w/ one of the leading auction houses, hopefully around 5% of the hammer, and let them do the work and sell it all in one shot. They would get enough w/ the buyer's premium. A case w/ Walter Payton's RC in it will get a ton of interest with the right advertising. Try Huggins & Scott, Legendary Auctions, etc...see what each of them has to offer (can't hurt).

I personally wouldn't try to sell them myself because you really have to trust somebody when you are bidding on unopened material and I wouldn't have the name recognition that a large auction house has. Just my 2 cents, hopefully you found it helpful.

Regards,
Scott
And don't forget to talk to the very football friendly people at BST Auctions as well. They get a lot of great football material and do a good job presenting it in their auctions. All of their principals are members of Net54

I would talk to Al at Love of the Game as well as he runs a good AH too. Al is a Net54 member too.

jeff
Old 08-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Scott Gerace

Actually, I think Jeff's right. I haven't dealt with Love of the Game personally, but I've read a ton of good stuff about them! I would start there.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 PM

If I sell them on EBay - Id get the boxes graded for sure. I haven't seen any boxes on eBay previously for sale so I do think it would be pretty unique. I've already negotiated a two box commission (15%) for doing the work to get him top dollar. Any thoughts on what a PSA authenticated box would go for on eBay if I sold them one at a time?

With my boxes I may even get oacks authenticated and sell them like that if the economics work out but that's if I can resist opening them.

FYI he pulled two mint Payton's out of those 1.5 boxes after he cracked the case.

Last edited by kevinlenane; 08-19-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
FYI he pulled two mint Peyton's out of those 1.5 boxes after he cracked the case.
I hope he pulled two mint Payton's out ...

jeff
Old 08-20-2015, 02:06 PM

Does anyone know how many boxes came in the case? I cant go take a look for a couple of weeks - so it would be good to know if its more than the 15 we are assuming...