NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default The Strange Death of Len Koenecke

I just came across this article about Len Koenecke.

After being sent home from a road trip, Koenecke caught a commercial flight for New York City. During the flight, he drank a quart of whiskey and became very drunk. After Koenecke had harassed other passengers and struck a stewardess, the pilot had to sit on him to restrain him as he was shackled to his seat. He was removed unconscious from the flight in Detroit. After sleeping on a chair in the airport, he chartered a flight to Toronto in the hopes of rejoining the Bisons. While flying over Canada, he had a disagreement with the pilot and a passenger, and attempted to take control of the aircraft.

In order to avoid a crash, Koenecke was hit over the head with a fire extinguisher by both the pilot, who had left his controls, and the other passenger. After an emergency landing at Long Branch Racetrack in Toronto, it was found that Koenecke had died of a cerebral hemorrhage. The two men were charged with manslaughter but were found not liable by a coroner's jury soon after.

If he didn't die so young, he might have had a decent career.

There appears to be only 1 card of him. It was the 1932 NY Giants Schedule Postcard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (76.1 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg koe.jpg (22.2 KB, 532 views)

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Richard L.

Wow, what an interesting/sad story. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default A Couple More Cards

According to Dr. James Beckett's Alphabetical Checklist #5 len Koenecke is shown on the 1934 Exhibit and 1990 Target card #415. I believe that Casey Stengel referred to him as a very strange man or something to that effect. This is a very interesting story. Thanks to the OP for bringing it up !!
Old 09-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Derek Granger

excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

What a maniac!
Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM
T0m P00n

Sounds like this was the B.A. Baracus of baseball players

Last edited by A2000; 09-18-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I wrote a story about Len Koenecke a few years ago that was going to be included in my book "The League of Outsider Baseball," but he got cut in the end. You can see the illustration and read the story on my website HERE if you're interested.

Koenecke's story is mentioned in a lot of places, but I put a lot of research into my piece, to the point of getting a few Canadian French language papers from the time translated for me. I was contacted a few times to create a screenplay for his story, but predictably, nothing ever comes of it. It's still a good, all be it sad and mysterious, story, and I actually had a few of his distant relatives write and thank me for the way I treated him.

Anyway, he's one of the players I was always fascinated with, and I'm glad to see him brought up here on Net54!

koenecke_studiogaryc.com.jpg
Old 09-18-2019, 01:40 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

He isnt the umpire from the 55 set?

Good grief I always thought it was him!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
He isnt the umpire from the 55 set?

Good grief I always thought it was him!
Do you mean Lon Warneke?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I wrote a story about Len Koenecke a few years ago that was going to be included in my book "The League of Outsider Baseball," but he got cut in the end. You can see the illustration and read the story on my website HERE if you're interested.

Koenecke's story is mentioned in a lot of places, but I put a lot of research into my piece, to the point of getting a few Canadian French language papers from the time translated for me. I was contacted a few times to create a screenplay for his story, but predictably, nothing ever comes of it. It's still a good, all be it sad and mysterious, story, and I actually had a few of his distant relatives write and thank me for the way I treated him.

Anyway, he's one of the players I was always fascinated with, and I'm glad to see him brought up here on Net54!

Attachment 366388

Gary,

I just read the entire story that you wrote about Koenecke. It was fascinating and an excellent story. It also was a very sad story. You should not give up the idea of pursuing a playwriter. This would make a great baseball movie.

I wonder how Stengel felt after this happened. The guilt must have kept him up at night. I guess we will never really know what happened up in that plane.

I recommend this story to all.

Buythatcard

Old 09-18-2019, 03:08 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Thanks Buythatcard. The more research I did on that story and others that include a pre-Yankees Stengel really deviates from the "ol perfesser" kindly old and wise manager persona he gets credited with.

When he was with the Dodgers and other teams in the 30s he was not at all about helping bring up younger players, just concentrating on veterans who didn't need any work from him. When he won games he took all the credit, and when he lost, like his Dodgers and Bees teams did in the 30s, he blamed select players while trying to win favor with the beat writers by being a clown. Billy Werber wrote about his time playing for him in Toledo and really goes out of his way to discredit him for the way he treated the younger players.

Maybe if Stengel wasn't manager of the Dodgers Koenecke would have lasted a bit longer, but as it was he was already up there in baseball age. Still...
Old 09-18-2019, 03:11 PM
qualitycards

Gary that's a great illustration of Len
Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Do you mean Lon Warneke?
Yes, long day thanks

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Thanks Buythatcard. The more research I did on that story and others that include a pre-Yankees Stengel really deviates from the "ol perfesser" kindly old and wise manager persona he gets credited with.

When he was with the Dodgers and other teams in the 30s he was not at all about helping bring up younger players, just concentrating on veterans who didn't need any work from him. When he won games he took all the credit, and when he lost, like his Dodgers and Bees teams did in the 30s, he blamed select players while trying to win favor with the beat writers by being a clown. Billy Werber wrote about his time playing for him in Toledo and really goes out of his way to discredit him for the way he treated the younger players.

Maybe if Stengel wasn't manager of the Dodgers Koenecke would have lasted a bit longer, but as it was he was already up there in baseball age. Still...

Gary,
Where can I find the story of the pre-Yankees Stengel. You got me hooked on reading your stories.

Buythatcard

Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:

Attachment 366388
Wow what a story. Nice job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a crazy story. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I just came across this article about Len Koenecke.

After being sent home from a road trip, Koenecke caught a commercial flight for New York City. During the flight, he drank a quart of whiskey and became very drunk. After Koenecke had harassed other passengers and struck a stewardess, the pilot had to sit on him to restrain him as he was shackled to his seat. He was removed unconscious from the flight in Detroit. After sleeping on a chair in the airport, he chartered a flight to Toronto in the hopes of rejoining the Bisons. While flying over Canada, he had a disagreement with the pilot and a passenger, and attempted to take control of the aircraft.

In order to avoid a crash, Koenecke was hit over the head with a fire extinguisher by both the pilot, who had left his controls, and the other passenger. After an emergency landing at Long Branch Racetrack in Toronto, it was found that Koenecke had died of a cerebral hemorrhage. The two men were charged with manslaughter but were found not liable by a coroner's jury soon after.

If he didn't die so young, he might have had a decent career.

There appears to be only 1 card of him. It was the 1932 NY Giants Schedule Postcard