NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-14-2016, 12:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default DP Robinson 52 Topps?

I noticed, just looking at 52 Topps cards of Robinson that some have a small mark, or comma, on the lower right border (facing you) and I was curious if this is a sign that distinguishes it from being an original, 1st print, or likely better known as the DP version?

I checked mine out and didn't notice that mark, and with me understanding/thinking that I have a first print Mantle, I assume my Robinson is as well?
(I found a Mantle link describing the 2 differences but no luck with the Robinson card?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg Comma mark.jpg (77.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie2.jpg (77.8 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Al Richter

Default 52 DPs

The front differences on the Robinson are the most subtle of the 3 high # DPs. The easiest way to tell the two Robinsons is the stitching on the baseball on the back, running left or right. There are subtle front differences in the grain on the bat and more reddish contrast on one version. Take a look at the PSA site description of the 1952 set. It is a good summary of the set in general and does discuss the front differences on all 3 DPs

See "PSA set Registry 1952 Topps baseball: More than meets the eye"

And hello from Ascunsion, Paraguay

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-14-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The front differences on the Robinson are the most subtle of the 3 high # DPs. The easiest way to tell the two Robinsons is the stitching on the baseball on the back, running left or right. There are subtle front differences in the grain on the bat and more reddish contrast on one version. Take a look at the PSA site description of the 1952 set. It is a good summary of the set in general and does discuss the front differences on all 3 DPs

See "PSA set Registry 1952 Topps baseball: More than meets the eye"

And hello from Ascunsion, Paraguay
"Not discouraged? Press on, but also be advised that there are also three high number variations involving cards #311, #312 (Jackie Robinson), and #313: They are all double prints, the only ones you'll find in the high-number series. On each card's obverse, you'll find the stitching on the baseball pointing left or right, with all three variations featuring right-hand stitching.

On Mantle's card, his skin tone is darker, and there's a white printing dot alongside the left border at eye level that appears in the variation. There's also no black border around the Yankees logo, and the last "E" in his signature ends with the line pointing down. The outline around his name box is also jagged.

On Robinson's card, the differences are much more subtle. But you'll see less grain in the bat and more of a reddish color cast, plus the image appears to have less contrast. Lower contrast is also seen on the Thomson variation, along with a green line to the left of his cap and a very ragged border around the name box"

Thanks Al.

I guess the "comma" mark on the border doesn't mean anything then? Some cards may have it while others don't but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a 1st print or DP?

Enjoy your trip in Paraguay!
Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
On each card's obverse, you'll find the stitching on the baseball pointing left or right, with all three variations featuring right-hand stitching
Shouldn't this read, "reverse," not, "obverse?"
Old 10-14-2016, 06:22 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Shouldn't this read, "reverse," not, "obverse?"
I thought the same thing until I looked it up.

"Obverse and its opposite, reverse, refer to the two flat faces of coins and some other two-sided objects, including paper money, flags, seals, medals, drawings, old master prints and other works of art, and printed fabrics. In this usage, obverse means the front face of the object and reverse means the back face. The obverse of a coin is commonly called heads, because it often depicts the head of a prominent person, and the reverse tails"
Old 10-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Al Richter

Default Robinson

Will be home next week Irv and will check my two versions to see if one has the mark
Old 10-14-2016, 07:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

What immediately jumps out at me is the topmost star in the left column (under the Dodgers logo). On one version it is nearly a full star, all yellow and what not. On the other version, most of this star is blacked out with just a crumb of yellow present.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Will be home next week Irv and will check my two versions to see if one has the mark
Thanks Al.

Don't get too much sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
What immediately jumps out at me is the topmost star in the left column (under the Dodgers logo). On one version it is nearly a full star, all yellow and what not. On the other version, most of this star is blacked out with just a crumb of yellow present.
Good eye!

Not sure if that means much however as I have seen quite a few anomalies like that, especially with the team logos, on a lot of these 52 Topps cards.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

I guess the "comma" mark on the border doesn't mean anything then? Some cards may have it while others don't but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a 1st print or DP?
That mark being on all of one variety depends on what caused it.

If it's from damage to the plate it won't be on all of that version, and some of us would consider it a different variety.
If it was from a scratch or gap on the mask used to make the black plate, then yes it will be in the same spot on all cards of the same variety depending on centering. It would also be on whatever card was below that one on the sheet, but in the top border, and only seen on cards centered towards the bottom.

Ist print wouldn't apply here, unless you find some way to show that the 52 High numbers were printed in two different runs. The doubleprints were on the same sheet as each other, it's just that there were two of each on the sheet and only one each of all the other cards. (If the mark in the border is plate damage then 1st print might sort of be right for ones without it. it would be more correct to say early state of the plate, as opposed to the damaged late state of the plate. A further complication would be the high numbers being printed from 2 or more different sets of plates, but I've never seen anything that would make me think it was.

Steve B
Old 10-15-2016, 05:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That mark being on all of one variety depends on what caused it.

If it's from damage to the plate it won't be on all of that version, and some of us would consider it a different variety.
If it was from a scratch or gap on the mask used to make the black plate, then yes it will be in the same spot on all cards of the same variety depending on centering. It would also be on whatever card was below that one on the sheet, but in the top border, and only seen on cards centered towards the bottom.

Ist print wouldn't apply here, unless you find some way to show that the 52 High numbers were printed in two different runs. The doubleprints were on the same sheet as each other, it's just that there were two of each on the sheet and only one each of all the other cards. (If the mark in the border is plate damage then 1st print might sort of be right for ones without it. it would be more correct to say early state of the plate, as opposed to the damaged late state of the plate. A further complication would be the high numbers being printed from 2 or more different sets of plates, but I've never seen anything that would make me think it was.

Steve B
Interesting info, Steve.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Some more info on my blog:

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/20...leftright.html
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Thanks, Toppcat, that is some great info!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I thought the same thing until I looked it up.

"Obverse and its opposite, reverse, refer to the two flat faces of coins and some other two-sided objects, including paper money, flags, seals, medals, drawings, old master prints and other works of art, and printed fabrics. In this usage, obverse means the front face of the object and reverse means the back face. The obverse of a coin is commonly called heads, because it often depicts the head of a prominent person, and the reverse tails"
I'm confused. Aren't the stitches on the back of the card?

Hence the reason I thought the word, "reverse" would be correct.