NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Tebow circus

I don't understand why people are getting their nuts in a knot over Tebow appearing in a split squad spring training game, while the team is already missing a half dozen WBC guys. Crazy. I realize there is a real mania around this guy for all sorts of reasons, but lighten up folks. He's not taking anyone's job. It's a sideshow and nothing more. Don't understand the depths of hate showered on what everyone says is a pretty good dude.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Agreed. I would think folks would be pulling for the guy considering he seems to be a hell of a good guy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Jason Wells

Im a Tebow fan and think its pretty awesome how he is going about this. He had an amazing quote in the press conference that should be required reading material for all athletes. Ill try to find it and add it to the post.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

0-3 with a HBP, ehhh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 06:16 AM
Kyle May

The irony of Tebow Mania hitting baseball and people crying about it...

1. Tebow is had much success in college, and openly displayed his faith.
2. Tebow is a Heisman-Trophy-winning college QB (should've won it twice), largely due to his dual-threat abilities.
3. Tebow enters the NFL.
4. Tebow has some success in NFL, displays more faith.
5. ESPN overplays all Tebow stories, creating Tebow Mania - also states that he isn't a good QB.
6. ESPN puts the crosshairs on Tebow's faith.
7. Fans of ESPN get sick of Tebow, and start to dislike him more and more.
8. A media circus is created around Tebow.
9. Tebow wins a playoff game.
10. Due to the narrative that Tebow isn't a good QB, and the media circus, teams don't want Tebow.
11. Tebow is forced out of the NFL.
12. Tebow becomes an analyst.
13. The athlete and competitor inside Tebow wants to try his hand at baseball.
14. Tebow, who has created a star out of himself due to hard work, dedicated, and faith, is given the opportunity to play low-league baseball in Major League system - he can make an organization money.
15. Tebow has some success with baseball.
16. ESPN has to cover Tebow's baseball journey - fans hate Tebow more.
17. All of this is because ESPN overstepped their boundaries as a sports news company, and divided fans with opinions on politics/faith.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 03-09-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 AM

You guys seriously don't understand people's frustrations with a guy who won't give it a rest? To me, he gives off the vibe that he feels entitled to be a professional athlete. The fact that he was a failed NFL player seems to be a complete shock to his system. I think people will always be frustrated with nepotism and false opportunities. He's a celebrity who is only playing in these games because he's a celebrity. That rubs people the wrong way in many situations, this being one of the more unusual circumstances where being famous got you something you didn't earn.

Last edited by packs; 03-09-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:17 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You guys seriously don't understand people's frustrations with a guy who won't give it a rest? To me, he gives off the vibe that he feels entitled to be a professional athlete. The fact that he was a failed NFL player seems to be a complete shock to his system. I think people will always be frustrated with nepotism and false opportunities. He's a celebrity who is only playing in these games because he's a celebrity. That rubs people the wrong way in many situations, this being one of the more unusual circumstances where being famous got you something you didn't earn.
Adam Goldberg got an AB in the major leagues and had no reason to be there at that time Playing in some spring training games isnt a big deal for an actual player in the minor league system.

You think Michael Jordan shouldnt of played spring training games?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 AM

Adam Greenberg was a professional baseball player who did have a major league at bat, which he earned. He was hit in the head. He has nothing in common with Tebow. His second at bat was an act of good will which, again, is not at all similar or related to Tebow. Michael Jordan should not have been given a roster spot either and he played at a much higher level than Tebow will. I think it helped that Jordan was a successful athlete though in terms of public perception, which is what we're talking about.

Last edited by packs; 03-09-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Adam Greenberg was a professional baseball player who did have a major league at bat, which he earned. He was hit in the head. He has nothing in common with Tebow. His second at bat was an act of good will which, again, is not at all similar or related to Tebow. Michael Jordan should not have been given a roster spot either and he played at a much higher level than Tebow will. I think it helped that Jordan was a successful athlete though in terms of public perception, which is what we're talking about.
Tebow was also a successful athlete and considered one of the greatest college football players of all time.

Wrong on greenberg..he had a prior plate appearence but not an at bat.. He got one at bat in 2012 and had ZERO games in the minors that year and was not in the Marlin minor league system He ended up getting a total of 30 games in 2013 for independent league for Bridgeport and hit .220 which was the rest of his entire career. You are fine with greenberg playing in a real game in which he wasnt even a part of the marlin organization, but against Tebow for spring training game for which is in an active member of the minor league team?

He did not earn the at bat years after that plate appearance. His second at bat was an act of good will and you are fine with that? So if good will is now a part of it, why cant Tebow and many others get Good will?

I would argue Tebow playing baseball is at least an act of good will (which you seem ok with )and at least he is just playing spring training. Greenberg took a major league regular season at bat away from a major leaguer and he struck out on 3 pitches and out of baseball completely shortly there after. Yeah you are ok with Greenberg playing in a major league game but against Tebow in a spring training game. I dont think thats a consistent point of view. There are a lot of good will/charity cases of players i can name that have just as much of a right to play as adam greenberg.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-09-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM

There is a major difference between a guy who earned his way to the majors and had a tragic occurrence that was rectified years later and a guy who washed out of the NFL and is on a minor league team because of his celebrity. They have nothing in common and as I said we are talking about public perception. This thread is about why people don't like Tebow. I think I've laid out some good reasons as to why the public sees him in a negative light.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
There is a major difference between a guy who earned his way to the majors and had a tragic occurrence that was rectified years later and a guy who washed out of the NFL and is on a minor league team because of his celebrity. They have nothing in common and as I said we are talking about public perception. This thread is about why people don't like Tebow. I think I've laid out some good reasons as to why the public sees him in a negative light.
So if you played in the majors and have a tragic occurrence you deserve the chance many years later to play in the major leagues even if at the time of the call up you you are not even good enough to play independent ball and are older (31) than Tebow is now (29)

I think theres a lot in common. There are many that see Tebow in a negative light but there are many that see Tebow in a positive light and want good will which you are ok with. Tebow is very popular in Florida and that is where the spring training games are. I also think Tebow at this point in time is better than Adam Greenberg was in 2012 and at least he is part of the parent clubs organization.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:21 AM

You're a Tebow fan. That's totally fine. The premise of this thread was why some people aren't Tebow fans. I am expressing why I think people aren't Tebow fans. I don't think Adam Greenberg plays a role in people's opinion on Tebow.

Last edited by packs; 03-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
You're a Tebow fan. That's totally fine. The premise of this thread was why some people aren't Tebow fans. I am expressing why I think people aren't Tebow fans. I don't think Adam Greenberg plays a role in people's opinion on Tebow.
Im not a Tebow fan. It appears you are a Adam Greenberg fan. I do think Adam Greenberg is an issue that is brought up in a general discussion about 'what players shouldnt be paying in spring training or regular season games'

YOu cant say a guy doesnt belong in a spring training game and say that never happens when you have a guy like greenberg playing in a major league real game. There are many other arguments as well with other players.

If you are saying that people shouldnt play in spring training games because people dont like them and not commenting about their actual ability, then the comparisons dont matter but i think ability is part of the equation here.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-09-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 AM

I'm not talking about spring training games at all. I'm talking about Tebow getting the chance to play for a minor league team. He's not just playing in spring training. He will be joining a roster after spring training and will appear in minor league games just as he appeared in the AFL, where he batted 173 and struck out 33 times in 33 games.

Last edited by packs; 03-09-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I'm not talking about spring training games at all. I'm talking about Tebow getting the chance to play for a minor league team. He's not just playing in spring training. He will be joining a roster after spring training and will appear in minor league games just as he appeared in the AFL, where he batted 173 and struck out 33 times in 33 games.
He could suck but not sure why citing stats for a 33 game sample size for a guy out of baseball for 10 years. Michael Jordan was horrid as well early on but did improve but he still had no business being in the minors and he was 31 not 29. Michael hit .202 and had 114 ks in 127 games which is 4x the sample size.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-09-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Lee Mazzilli's son was in the same starting lineup yesterday as Tebow. A fringe minor league moved up for the day to play a spring training game. Is going absolutely nowhere in the bigs. I must have missed all the articles about how Mets promote son of a successful alum to play in highly important split squad game.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Todd Jenkins

I here so much negative about him playing baseball. I so wish he would make it!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Scott Russell

Arizona fall league is for real prospects. He absolutely took the spot from someone who could've actually advanced their career to play out a farce. .469 OPS in 123 plate appearances. Sometimes a small sample is all you need.

As for Jordan? well that was a joke too, and a worse one as he took up a double A roster spot.

However, I don't really care how teams waste their money and minor league developmental process, as long as that team isn't the Dodgers!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Tebow wasn't the worst hitter on his team, close, but not the worst.

I don't hear many complaints about Matt Oberste taking anyones roster spot. (The guy with a decent number of games who was a worse hitter than Tebow. There's another, but he only played 5 games. )

Besides, the very lowest levels are instructional leagues, where players are meant to learn and to make important adjustments. Being a strong straight pull hitter will go a long way in HS, not so much in even the high minors unless you're truly amazing in other ways. So a lot of players don't do all that well in instructional leagues because they're trying stuff they haven't been required to do until then.

Steve B
Old 03-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Anyone who has played Baseball with loved doing so, always wants more.

To have an opportunity to compete at the highest level, warranted or not, is a dream anyone who is honest with themselves would love to experience in real life.

I have not played in more than 15 years, and, even though the last few games proved without a doubt that I could no longer be competitive, it crushed me to have that connection to my past come to an end.

There remains an urge in me, to jump (nope, can't even do that) onto the field at whatever game (at whatever talent level) I attend and have that opportunity one last time.

And this is from someone who had as definite closure to that part of my life as there could be.

The desire, however, remains...and I do not criticize ANYONE for pursuing the same.

Tim Tebow deserves the opportunity- in doing so with his normal enthusiasm and conviction, he does nothing but honor the game and its connection to all of us who once had it as a very important part of our physical existence.

I wish him all the best!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Tebow wasn't the worst hitter on his team, close, but not the worst.

I don't hear many complaints about Matt Oberste taking anyones roster spot. (The guy with a decent number of games who was a worse hitter than Tebow. There's another, but he only played 5 games. )

Besides, the very lowest levels are instructional leagues, where players are meant to learn and to make important adjustments. Being a strong straight pull hitter will go a long way in HS, not so much in even the high minors unless you're truly amazing in other ways. So a lot of players don't do all that well in instructional leagues because they're trying stuff they haven't been required to do until then.

Steve B
Arizona Fall League is not an instructional league for low-level players. It is a league where teams typically send 6 top prospects apiece. Most players are successful double or triple A guys.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

To have an opportunity to compete at the highest level, warranted or not, is a dream anyone who is honest with themselves would love to experience in real life.

I have not played in more than 15 years, and, even though the last few games proved without a doubt that I could no longer be competitive, it crushed me to have that connection to my past come to an end.

There remains an urge in me, to jump (nope, can't even do that) onto the field at whatever game (at whatever talent level) I attend and have that opportunity one last time.

And this is from someone who had as definite closure to that part of my life as there could be.

The desire, however, remains...and I do not criticize ANYONE for pursuing the same.

Tim Tebow deserves the opportunity- in doing so with his normal enthusiasm and conviction, he does nothing but honor the game and its connection to all of us who once had it as a very important part of our physical existence.

I wish him all the best!
+1. Well said, Raymond.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

I wish him all the best!
While I can appreciate this sentiment, it is precisely the reason this whole thing would bug me if it was my team that was doing this. Tebow is chasing that elusive dream, giving it one last shot as expressed in your post. But by doing that he is negatively impacting someone who has a much more reasonable chance of making it who has the same passion.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:13 AM

He is not even chasing a dream though. His dream was to play in the NFL. He stopped playing baseball as a junior in high school. I think that is another thing that distances his experience from Michael Jordan's. Jordan didn't opt for baseball because he failed as an NBA player and he didn't need baseball to prolong what he thought would be a professional sports career.

Last edited by packs; 03-10-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM

How much of the criticism leveled at Tim Tebow is because he is considered TOO nice a guy?

Well, I think we could use more folks like him in positions that, justifiable or not, are looked on as roll-models by our children.

Haters, exit stage left please.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
He is not even chasing a dream though. His dream was to play in the NFL. He stopped playing baseball as a junior in high school. I think that is another thing that distances his experience from Michael Jordan's. Jordan didn't opt for baseball because he failed as an NBA player and he didn't need baseball to prolong what he thought would be a professional sports career.
You think he failed at football? The guy beat the Steelers in the playoffs. He was forced out of football because of the media.

What point are you trying to make? If you don't succeed at one thing, accept defeat and quit altogether?

You're a Tebow-hater. Plain and simple. My apologies for posting here though, since this thread is a safe space, meant strictly for people who dislike Tebow.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 03-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
You think he failed at football? The guy beat the Steelers in the playoffs. He was forced out of football because of the media.
LOL, yeah 'cause Belichek is such a slave to what the media thinks he should do.

For that matter if he could've helped ANY team they would've signed him. Michael Vick got a second chance after doing heinous things, but somehow you think Tebow was blackballed for being too nice?

If anything the media has prolonged his career AND created this baseball opportunity for him. Without the media hoopla, he wouldn't sell jerseys and therefore would've been useless (more useless) to the Mets. Think of all the QB failures in league history. Did ANY of them get the opportunities this guy has? Did any of them get the coverage he did? Troy Smith and Chris Weinke would have killed to have Tim Tebow's media "problems"

I have no personal feelings about Tebow one way or the other since I don't know him personally. He certainly seems to lead an exemplary life in a time when lots of other athletes leave quite a bit to be desired in their personal conduct. But he was not a viable NFL QB plain and simple.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM

I am in agreement. He is in the position he's in because there is a focus on him. He has not lost out on anything, in my opinion, because of the media. I have no issue with him as a person and he definitely does a lot of good for people. I wouldn't call myself a Tebow hater, just a realist.

Last edited by packs; 03-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

As a Christian myself I fail to see how Tebow's faith has anything to do with his career ending. If anything it seems to have helped garner more fans than maybe his on-field play has deserved him. Everyone in my Church seemed to LOVE Tebow so he certainly wasn't being harmed by this media coverage.

Also I just have to look at Kurt Warner and see that the NFL doesn't blackball you for faith or having a "nice" personality.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

What point are you trying to make? If you don't succeed at one thing, accept defeat and quit altogether?

You're a Tebow-hater. Plain and simple. My apologies for posting here though, since this thread is a safe space, meant strictly for people who dislike Tebow.
Actually he was forced out of football due to lack of passing accuracy and arm strength, along with an unwillingness to entertain the idea of playing another position besides QB (i.e. FB)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
As a Christian myself I fail to see how Tebow's faith has anything to do with his career ending. If anything it seems to have helped garner more fans than maybe his on-field play has deserved him. Everyone in my Church seemed to LOVE Tebow so he certainly wasn't being harmed by this media coverage.

Also I just have to look at Kurt Warner and see that the NFL doesn't blackball you for faith or having a "nice" personality.
All the dirt bags in sports who beat their wives, beat kids with branches from trees, abuse dogs, etc., etc., . . . yeah perfectly rational to be outraged over Tebow. What a terrible guy.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:23 PM

delete please

I did not realize that I had nothing worthwhile to add until after I had posted some crap not up to standards.

EXCUUUSE MEEEE! lol

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-10-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Actually he was forced out of football due to lack of passing accuracy and arm strength, along with an unwillingness to entertain the idea of playing another position besides QB (i.e. FB)
right, i believe Tebow could of played in the NFL if he was willing to play other positions but who cares, the ability to keep playing in the NFL doesnt have anything to do about my opinion that he should be able to play Spring ball...

packs said that playing baseball wasnt his dream, i dont think that matter and i also dont think we really know that or not.

baseball has a knack for letting guys like tebow play in the spring and heck even adam greenberg in the regular Major leagues. I not see lebron james get get a few hand offs in the NFL preseason, or a guy that got injured in his first nfl game get a 'one carry' in an NFL game 7 years later because of good will. I do think Mr. Bolt would get a chance to run a few fly patterns if he wanted too or lets get a high jumper to block some kicks. Maybe it has happened a bit in the NFL but you know what i mean

that is what baseball does. Its not like the floodgates will open for spring training when all you have to do is win a heisman and a few national championships and be considered one of the all time best college qbs to get a chance to play in the minors.

also remember more baseball players go the the pros straight from high school...its not like the college football system...who is to say tebow wouldnt of gotten a chance to play in the minors right out of high school....he just took the long route..but again is 29...still younger than Jordan was and adam greenberg

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-10-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Why do you keep bringing up Adam Greenberg? He was a lifelong professional baseball player, Tebow is not. What do they have in common? I guess if you're saying Greenberg got something he didn't deserve I still think that's wrong. He made the major leagues on his own and he played professionally for 12 seasons.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Why do you keep bringing up Adam Greenberg? He was a lifelong professional baseball player, Tebow is not. What do they have in common? I guess if you're saying Greenberg got something he didn't deserve I still think that's wrong. He made the major leagues on his own and he played professionally for 12 seasons.
So basically Willie Mays should play today since he is a HOF an a professional for over 20 years. To think greenberg playing in a regular season game as good will has nothing to do with Tim Tebow playing i think is incorrect. Greenberg did not belong in the major leagues in 2012 at all. He played zero games in the minor leagues 2012 and played 1 game with the Marlins and he was not a part of their organizaton At least Tebow is in the mets organization. Greenberg was 0-1 with a strikeout.

I think Tebow has more right to play in spring training games today then Greenberg had a right to play in the big leagues in 2012. You may disagree but to each their own and my comparison is fair

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Agree to disagree is fair enough.

Last edited by packs; 03-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Agree to disagree is fair enough.
Agree, but funny you had to edit your post for just saying agree to disagree...
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Arizona Fall League is not an instructional league for low-level players. It is a league where teams typically send 6 top prospects apiece. Most players are successful double or triple A guys.
Well, I guess I learned something there. I thought it was one of the short season A ball leagues like we have here in Lowell.

That makes it a bit more of a puzzle why he's there, and less of one why so many of the hitters seemed above average from the stats.
Of course the opposite also fits, he had little experience and considering that he didn't do all that badly against some decent but not yet ML level pitchers.
Maybe they fast tracked him as a sink or swim scenario because of his age?

Steve B
Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i dont care about Tebow one way or the other - BUT im a BIG METS FAN. And having Tebow take a spot some other prospect should have is my only gripe. Tebow isnt a good baseball player, and at 29 years old im not hoping he can develop into a part of this team.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:34 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
i dont care about Tebow one way or the other - BUT im a BIG METS FAN. And having Tebow take a spot some other prospect should have is my only gripe. Tebow isnt a good baseball player, and at 29 years old im not hoping he can develop into a part of this team.
there are many players in the minor leagues that have zero chance to make it to the majors...they are basically pseduo coaches or mentors in some capacity or for other reasons. there are in reality few 'prospects' to take any spots from.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Tebow needs to just hang it up. No way he can be another Deion or Bo...hell I think Jordan had a better baseball career

Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
Tebow needs to just hang it up. No way he can be another Deion or Bo...hell I think Jordan had a better baseball career

Id have to agree
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Rob Anderson

There are likely a bunch of guys on his team and the opposing team that are ecstatic that he is there. All of a sudden what they do is relevant. A little TV time, and some press.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

man rough critic if he has to be as good as deion or bo (i assuming for their baseball ability) to play baseball. If he was a pinch hitter in the major leagues and only got 70 abs, that would be good enough for the money he is making. (not saying he will ever be a major league player but you just making a mlb roster is good enough for most people)
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

This whole Tebow baseball thing is an absolute joke...If you love the guy so much, hell make him a coach or personal trainer.... He can't hold Bo Jackson's or Deion's jock strap....Not even an argument worth extending....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-12-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

He just needs to stick to what he's good at.....ugh whatever that is..

Old 03-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Nick Barnes

Tebow is bad at football, his minions scream that it's bias against his faith, and yes completing less than half your passes is bad, as was his footwork. giving him credit for that playoff victory ignores the Denver defense. (ignoring the FACT that the majority of NFL players are religious and seem to function just fine)

Tebow refuses to play Tight End and stay in the NFL because his oversized ego and false piety seems to require he only play QB. His minions scream that it's bias against his faith and throw holy tantrums

Tebow decided to play baseball after a decade away from the game, proceeds to be terrible and called "not a professional player" by scouts, prospect writers ...etc his minions scream that it's bias against his faith

Tebow gets picked up by the Mets and gets a free pass with a $100k bonus even though all who saw him knew it was a marketing scheme for the minor league clubs. criticism of this is screamed at bu his minions as bias against his faith

Tebow gets a free call up to the AFL , normally reserved for AA level players wiith legit prospect status, and gets his ass handed to him and his minions scream that that's just bias against his faith

Tebow gets a ST invite where he ,again, looks terrible and everyone is pretty much sick to death of hearing about him.

look, some of you are wayy into jesus, that's fine, whatever floats your boat,but there is not a conspiracy against Tim Tebow, He has been given EVERY OPPORTUNITY , if not more so, than ANY OTHER PLAYER I can recall to make it as a pro athlete, he simply has not performed at the level expected of a pro. He does not have the "stuff" he does not have the skills required. he is ,now, bad at sports. Some of us are sick of you and some members of the media, trying to make him a "thing". it's not going to happen. Time to let it go.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 03-18-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
He just needs to stick to what he's good at.....ugh whatever that is..

well, he's bad at sports so I guess he is sticking to that!

and he's good at throwing a football at the ground to keep the devil at bay

and he's a fairly decent analyst who I think will improve over time.

he is also amazingly good at striking out!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Watched him take 5 at bats today in a minor league spring training game - hit by pitch, strikeout, strikeout, weak grounder to third, struck out looking. He never squared up one pitch, and misplayed a ball badly in left field while taking terrible routes to others. He was clearly overmatched against guys almost a decade younger than he is. I'm not rooting for him to fail but he doesn't look like someone who will be able to make it out of A-ball. He was assigned to Class A Columbia in the South Atlantic League, and I have to believe some poor kid that is getting left behind in extended spring training is getting screwed over by Tebow occupying that roster spot.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 AM

My predictions:

50 games, .190 ave, 4 home runs, 28 rbi's, 100 strike outs, is released before season's end.