NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default Harry Davis- HOF Worthy?

I know he was a deadball era power hitter but still the guy led the league in homers 4 times, RBI's twice, Doubles 3 times, and Triples once. Additionally he won 3 world series's. His overall numbers are nowhere near HOF worthy but considering the stats of a lot of guys from this are horrible relative to modern day standards, why is this guy's name never brought up?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Only 1841 hits in 22 years, although really only 15 full seasons, .275 ba. As a 1b, an OPS+ of 119. WAR of 38.7. Only recieved HOF votes twice and never more than 1%. There is nothing that really says hofer.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Mr. Davis has a lot of company. Take him out an put Minnie Minoso in!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I'd put Jimmy Ryan in waaaaay before Davis. Ryan should already be in IMO.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I like Minoso a lot but not worthy of the conversation IMO. Similar to Davis in some regards. Led the league in SB's for several years in a time when 20-30 would put you right at the top; not unlike Davis and his leading the league in homeruns with 10-15 a season. I'm still baffled at how people completely overlook this guy when you have guys like Bresnahan and others in (and all the talk about introducing shin guards and all that is a weak argument for him being in IMO). I mean just think about a 4 time HR leader that has 3 rings not making it today. If it wasn't for steroids any of the powerhitters of the last couple decades would be shoe-ins and not many could say they led the league in homeruns 4 times (I know it's a totally different time but still). I'm not all that surprised that he's not in but am very surprised that his name is never even brought up given his accomplishments. I know his overall stats are not great but to me not that out of line with a lot of other players who are in or are still viable candidates from that era.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Bill Madlock won 4 batting titles, but he is not in the hof. Several guys have won 2 MVPs or 2 Cy Youngs and not made it. It is about have a great career not a few great seasons.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Brendan Mullen

I hope he gets in. I have 2 game used bats of his...
Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Bill Madlock won 4 batting titles, but he is not in the hof. Several guys have won 2 MVPs or 2 Cy Youngs and not made it. It is about have a great career not a few great seasons.
I've always thought Madlock should be given more recognition. Good point on the MVP's/Cy Youngs. I've always thought Maris should get in, though I understand why most disagree. Really like Dale Murphy and Saberhagen but I don't think they belong. Would be happy to see Murphy get in though.