NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Storage question

Hi all,

I have a question about storage of topps' sets. I have sets from the late 70's in a cardboard row holder (like the SGC cardboard holders but smaller). The cards stay tight and protected but they are bowing, which I assume will only get worse over time. Is there a better storage idea, I guess the plastic pages of 9 is the best? Just rueing the thought of loading thousands of cards into individual holders...Anyone have an opinion on this? Does the bowing get worse and ultimately become unfixable?

thanks - Rob
Old 12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Darren DeBruhl

I have all of my Topps sets, all 36 of them, in 900 count boxes. All of my cards are in penny sleeves which help take up some space, and to make up any remaining space I use foam dividers so that there is not a ton of pressure. No bowing at all!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Al Richter

Default Storage

I have my Topps sets, 1948 and 1951 to 2010, and Fleer 1923 and 1959 to 2006 in sheets in binders. I like to be able to have easy access to them all. But I am strictly a collector. If keeping them for investment or sale potential, I don't recommend it.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM
John Michael

Why are cards held in sheets in binders not recommended for investment purposes? Most collectors have the same demands on preservation as do investors.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Cards take a beating in binders unless you use layers of holders. I use Cardsaver I holders in four-pocket sheets inside clamshell binders. Not the most efficient for large sets (fortunately not my thing) but very secure for thumbing through.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Al Richter

Default Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
Why are cards held in sheets in binders not recommended for investment purposes? Most collectors have the same demands on preservation as do investors.
Did not mean to be critical of keeping cards in sheets in binders. That is how I do it. But I collect ungraded cards and like to have ongoing access to them in the binders. So the binders get opened and the pages turned a lot. Plus even putting them in the sheets when full sets are involved can involve risk. Being careful can minimize risk, but when you have lot of sets ( around 200 in my case) even a few careless slides can be costly if investment grade cards are an important goal.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I tried binders years ago, but they always leave the top of the cards exposed (on the top row) as they do not fit all the way down into the pocket and leave the cards susceptible to dings. Why Ultra Pro can't seem to fix this problem after all these years I'll never know. Anyway, I have 2 different storage methods depending on the year/value of the set. Both examples are shown below. Please excuse the bad photos - they were taken with my camera phone.

Here is my method of storage for a lower value set. This is a '78 Topps set in NM-MT+ raw condition.

The cards are placed in an 800 count box.

I use a spacer before and after the last cards to protect them from dings. These were from some Upper Deck (I believe) product that I got from my local card shop. He saves them for me and I use them for shipping or whatever.

Minor rookies and lesser HOFers are placed in penny sleeves.

Those are placed at the back of the set.

All cards are pushed together and held tightly in place taking up any extra space in the box. The cards should not slide. You can use waded up newspaper or whatever you choose. I've used plastic grocery bags in the pics below.

The major rookies and more popular HOFers are placed in Ultra Pro semi rigid top loaders and this is what it looks like as I close it up.

For more expensive sets, I place each individual card in Ultra Pro semi rigid top loaders and they are stored in vault boxes as shown with my 1954 Topps set below. If the set is too big for a vault box, you can always use the shoe boxes (2 row).

Any extra space is filled so that the cards do not slide.

The lid is placed on top and it is stored away.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Dave M

Nicely done, very cool way of storing them and avoiding the bend factor you tend to get in boxes. I still like putting my cards in the 9-sleevers so I can page through them. Unfortunately some of my cards have taken a bit of a beating on the top from it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I always loaded my 800 count boxed sets with some overproduced cards front and back to reduce the risk of corner dings. I may have to rethink my binder storage for a couple of sets after reading this thread.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Shane

I have Topps Sets from 1974 to 2010 all in binders and 9 pocket pages. I cover the top of them so dust doesn't get in them. I just like to have easy access. I don't see the problem. My older sets isn't in high grade though, but even if they were, I think I would still store them the same way.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Doug Goodman

There is another thread which addresses the "binders hurting cards" issue...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131484

Doug
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Default Binders and a Question...

I use a combination of all the methods above. I prefer binders because of how easy they are to flip through, but agree that they can be risky. I use them for sets like my '80 Topps set. Great to look through and low risk on anything that gets damaged.

For higher end collections, I use the use the semi-rigid and vault box method that vintagetoppsguy described. I find myself moving that way more and more because of the combination between safety and ease of storage (binders take up more space if you insist on laying them flat which is the only way I'll do it).

Here's a question for you VintageTopps (or anyone else) - do you use penny sleeves before you put them in the semi-rigid? I've had this discussion with a lot of people and can't get consensus. Most collectors I know use the smaller holders and no penny sleeve. While I like how that looks, I worry about the semi-rigid holders not being archival quality with no pvc/acid. I use the larger semi-rigids with a penny sleeve, which still fit in the large vault boxes. Anyone else use the penny sleeve first?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post
I use a combination of all the methods above. I prefer binders because of how easy they are to flip through, but agree that they can be risky. I use them for sets like my '80 Topps set. Great to look through and low risk on anything that gets damaged.

For higher end collections, I use the use the semi-rigid and vault box method that vintagetoppsguy described. I find myself moving that way more and more because of the combination between safety and ease of storage (binders take up more space if you insist on laying them flat which is the only way I'll do it).

Here's a question for you VintageTopps (or anyone else) - do you use penny sleeves before you put them in the semi-rigid? I've had this discussion with a lot of people and can't get consensus. Most collectors I know use the smaller holders and no penny sleeve. While I like how that looks, I worry about the semi-rigid holders not being archival quality with no pvc/acid. I use the larger semi-rigids with a penny sleeve, which still fit in the large vault boxes. Anyone else use the penny sleeve first?
I use the penny sleeves first and then into Card Saver 1's. I have a small collection and that is how all my baseball cards are stored. My football sets and couple team sets I have are in penny sleeves and then in top loaders.

I enjoy being able to hold each card individually so the Card Savers are great. Plus, again, I have a small collection as compared to many on here.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Personally I don't use a penny sleeve before placing the card in a semi-rigid top loader. However, let's make sure we're talking about the same kind of top loader.

I use these Ultra Pro that come 200 per box:

I do not use these top loaders that come 25 per pack:

I've been using the first ones for well over 20 years and never had a problem (they were another company before Ultra Pro). I tried using a penny sleeve with these, but the penny sleeve wants to bind up as I'm trying to slide the card in, so I just don't use one.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Mark Hooks

Guys - Does anyone have a preference using Ultra Pro semi rigid top loaders over the CSII semi rigid top loaders?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

A dealer friend of mine told me that they are both made in the same factory in China, and that they just stamp each companies name on them. I don't know if that is true or not, but that's what he told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyredlegs View Post
Guys - Does anyone have a preference using Ultra Pro semi rigid top loaders over the CSII semi rigid top loaders?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
However, let's make sure we're talking about the same kind of top loader.
Same ones. That's why I went the larger Ultra Pro's. I had the same problem with the penny slips, that's why I went to the larger Ultra Pros (the "graded card submission" version). Penny slips fit in easier, but the larger semi-rigids take up more space and require bigger vault boxes. I've just never gotten a clear answer on whether or not they have acid or pvc in them. The slips definitely don't (or at least are marketed as such). But, as you've attested along with many others, lots of people have had their cards in them for decades with no problems.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post
Same ones. That's why I went the larger Ultra Pro's. I had the same problem with the penny slips, that's why I went to the larger Ultra Pros (the "graded card submission" version). Penny slips fit in easier, but the larger semi-rigids take up more space and require bigger vault boxes. I've just never gotten a clear answer on whether or not they have acid or pvc in them. The slips definitely don't (or at least are marketed as such). But, as you've attested along with many others, lots of people have had their cards in them for decades with no problems.
I am probably way too anal but I store them as you do, first in the penny sleeve and then in the larger semi rigid card savers.

My thinking is that if I have to remove the card from the larger semi rigid card saver for whatever reason, I never have to touch the actual card as it is in a penny sleeve. And, inserted in the larger semi rigid holders, the penny sleeve has never bunched up.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
John Michael

How do BCW products stack up with Ultra-Pro? A lot of BCW products out there and I am curious as to the quality.

Also, anything out there in storage boxes besides the drab cardboard? I once saw an advertisement for a high end card storage product, on a website, that appeared to be leather with a prominent, shiny buckle in the middle. Have been looking ever since for it. Also, the see-thru plastic.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Steve

Yeah, we'll all be dead long before the plastic eats our cards, pvc or no, so why worry about it, unless their real purpose is to finance the kids' higher education. Personally, I find it hard to actually enjoy the hoard if they're stored in binders; must be an ocd symptom left over from the schoolyard, but want to feel the stack in one hand while peeling each card away to savor it as an individual artifact. Do use mylar sleeves as a concession to preservation, though.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 AM
John Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Personally I don't use a penny sleeve before placing the card in a semi-rigid top loader. However, let's make sure we're talking about the same kind of top loader.

I use these Ultra Pro that come 200 per box:

I do not use these top loaders that come 25 per pack:

I've been using the first ones for well over 20 years and never had a problem (they were another company before Ultra Pro). I tried using a penny sleeve with these, but the penny sleeve wants to bind up as I'm trying to slide the card in, so I just don't use one.
Will this holder fit into the cardboard boxes?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Mike Dugan

I purchased a coin album the other day for the new national park quarters.

It was by Lighthouse, I think they are big in the stamp industry? The interesting feature in the album was a plastic slide that holds the pages immoveable when placed on a shelf. It would help on cards if you also used a slipcase.

I ony have my type cards and some newer sets in albums but would like to have more so that I can look through them more often. I would like to find a good leather binder with slipcase, d-ring that would protect the cards.

I purchased a T205 binder from Roop but was so displeased that I only put a reprint set in it.

Any good suggestions out there?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 PM
David Bender

I've been looking for the binder you describe as well.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Storage

Hi Guys, I just was reading this thread and have a question about storing autographed cards. I'm working on a 93 Topps Auto set. I currently have around 240 auto's. I have all the commons and minor stars in penny sleeves, major stars in penny sleeve than top loader. Jeter is BGS slabbed, so no problem there. All stored for now in a 330 count box (commons,minor stars) Question is a friend of mine says there is a danger of the magic marker sticking and sometimes transferring onto the sleeves, esp if packed tight in box. Just wondering if anyone has had the problem or if it should even be a concern, if so what is best way to store such a set... Thanks in advance... Ralph

Last edited by rp12367; 02-20-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Doug Goodman

Default You should really...

Check my earlier post with the link to another thread

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131484

This setup is so much better than regular binders, you don't even have to thank me when you discover that you agree with me.

Doug
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Dave

I use penny sleaves and top loaders on every card, then store them in 1500 count boxes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 AM
John Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Premium Collectors Album Black Leatherette
SKU: 1-ALB1P-CA-BLK Brand: BCW
The BCW Premium Collectors Album is designed for attractiveness anddurability this binder will last for years. The album is covered in aplush black leatherette material, with attractive black edge stitching.The albums works with any BCW pocket page.

- Attractive Black Faux Leather
- Decorative edge stitching
- Holds up to 40 Protective Pages
- 1" Heavy Duty D Ring
- Pages Sold Separately

1 Album(s) per Each

The value of "Quantity" filed must be numeric This item must be ordered in multiplies of 1
Minimal quantity for this product is 1
Maximal quantity for this product is 1000000
Order Quantity: Each(s)

Please, enter quantity for the product

Each(s) Each Price
1 $26.00
10 $18.30
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is BCW's top-of-the-line binder. It's fake leather but, nicer than anything Ultra-Pro has to offer IMHO.

Last edited by theseeker; 02-21-2011 at 12:58 AM.