NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Default 1964 Curt Flood - Cornering the Market?

Has anyone else noticed that practically every nice '64 Topps Curt Flood that comes up on EBay is purchased by the same buyer? This has been going on for a long time now. Price doesn't seem to matter. There is no way to corner the market on a card from the 60's . . . is there? Personally, I don't think it's even remotely possible, so I offer a few possible explanations. Perhaps he's just absent minded and forgets to cross that card off his wantlist. Or maybe he's constructing a "Flood wall" with hundreds of the same card. How about he's just a huge Curt Flood fan and for whatever reason decided to channel a lot of cash into a single item. Whatever the motivation, I'm glad my '64 Topps and Cardinals team sets are finished and I don't need #103.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default Cornering the market

Interesting that I know of two guys (brothers) that collect of all players, Jimmy Key (not a bad pitcer but not a future HOFer either). Last time I talked to one of the guys he said they have probably 250,000+ cards of Key.............I always try to have a handful for them when I do a small show that I figure they will be attending. They also buy almost every Pujols, Ozzie Smith and Cardinals card I have (except for Rookies of Pujols and Ozzie, 'cause they don't wanna come of their wallets at all). But, 250,000+ cards of Key?........
Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Al Richter

Default Flood 1964

Got to see the Cards play the Yanks in 64 Series --2 Bush stadiums back--Fortunately I already have my 64 Flood. Very good ballplayer, pretty tragic end game for him
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Default flood hording

I remember a story in SCD many, many years ago of a collector buying up all the cards of a common player (1958 Topps I believe) in the northeast area.

Once the card started getting hard to find, the dealers starting asking higher prices for the card. This fellow would then refuse to buy at that higher price.
He created the scarcity...made the prices go up...then refused to pay it.

Classic! I love it!

Anyone else remember this story from years gone past??
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Chris Buckler

Default 1964 Flood

I'm not certain how many 1964 Topps Floods the particular buyer has but I have sold him at least 10 in the past 2 years. Last I heard he had well over 1000 and is on the hunt for a graded 10.

Chris