NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Tony Ooten

Default ebay buyer protection question

Hi Net 54,

A question about ebay buyer protection. What will happen here?

I recently sold two 5 card lots of 1955 Topps commons. $10 each. Here is one of the auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESOX:IT

The buyer wants to return both lots for a refund. Here is our communication (all through ebay):

Buyer: Sunday at 6:20pm: Dear tonyooten, Hi! I would like to return this lot and the other 5 card lot#25077423784! Please let me know! Thanks- clipper-baseball2010

Me: Sunday at 8:20pm: Dear clipper-baseball2010, Well, the auction states no returns. What was not as described? Tony - tonyooten

Buyer: Monday at 9:15am: Dear tonyooten, Thanks Tony! When I return the cards $20 will be fine!

Me: Monday at 9:24am: Dear clipper-baseball2010, You didn't answer my question. What was "not as described" ? - tonyooten

No response from the buyer yet. I'm expecting no response and to receive the cards in a few days. I know it's just $20, but it's the principle. My inclination is to not refund and accept a negative. However, I've read many times that eBay will side with the buyer in almost every case regardless of the circumstances. So if I'm gonna lose my $20 anyway, I may as well just refund despite the disgusted feeling I'll have.

What do you all think will happen, do I stand a chance of not having to refund if the buyer opens a case?

Tony
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Description?

Tony,

Are the cards in mint condition? Why did you not provide a full description of the cards? The tiny picture does not give any idea of condition. The buyer certainly should have asked questions, but I think that you set yourself up for this problem.

Hope it works out for you.

Jeff
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Tony,
I think that you set yourself up for this problem.
Probably so, my presentation wasn't the best.

But my question is: what do you think will happen if he files a case.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Tony Ooten

Never mind, already received 4 negatives.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Never mind, already received 4 negatives.
Sorry to hear that Tony. Maybe if you discuss with eBay they can help you get them removed.

Jeff
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Tony Ooten

I tried eBay chat to see if it is possible to review, they ended up telling me to call, which I did, as I was cycling through the recordings, the voice told me they had just sent me an email that may help.

Here it is:

Dear Anthony Ooten,

Sincerely,

eBay Customer Support

-- Still have questions? --
You can have a live chat with an eBay representative by clicking the "Live Help" link near the top right corner of the eBay homepage. Please don't reply to this message, as your email won't be received.

Then I was put on hold for a 16 minute wait. I didn't bother.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Jeff Emerson

If you returns the cards with tracking to prove it, you will probable loss an ebay case.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
J@RR0D

What a bummer man, sorry to hear he already hit you with negatives.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Jim VB

Please take this as constructive criticism, not as an attack.

First, no sales on Ebay are final, regardless of what you say in the listing. Ebay has made it clear, numerous times, that a dissatisfied buyer may return anything they want for a full refund.

Second, you will help yourself immensely, if you adjust a few things in your listings. Your scans are far too bright. I don't know if you adjusted your scanner to get the best pictures, but it it far better to give an accurate picture of the card. Your scans don't seem to do that.

Third, You should show front and back scans of all cards. If you don't, you run the risk of buyers being dissatisfied with something they have never seem. Also consider scanning against a black background instead of a white one. You can use a piece of construction paper.

Lastly, when selling ungraded cards, you must describe the condition of the cards. Buyers expect this.

However, even if you had done each and every one of these things, the buyer may have asked to return the cards. There is no way around it. Refusing, or even delaying the return is a losing bet. Upon his first inquiry, agree to the return and refund as soon as you get the cards back. It's not worth the negs to try to save a $20 sale.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Please take this as constructive criticism, not as an attack.
None of that taken as an attack. Thanks for trying to help. My scans are too bright.

I almost feel good about the negatives (almost). I hate that I feel like I have to take the time to make the listings perfect and fool proof. I've made a handful of returns for what I consider no good reason. But I did it anyway.

This guy just rubbed me the wrong way when he ignored my question.

I'm not perfect, but I try to be reasonable and fair. I would have taken the cards and refunded the money with only minor blinking had he just been respectful, but he was a douche.

I have nothing good to say about clipper-baseball2010.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Although I would thenk the Gilliam and the Black cards should have been "no problems". Both tuff cards to pick up cheaply in that condition. IMHO. If it makes ya feel any better - I agree Dude is a douche.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Although I would thenk the Gilliam and the Black cards should have been "no problems". Both tuff cards to pick up cheaply in that condition. IMHO. If it makes ya feel any better - I agree Dude is a douche.
Thanks...that does make me feel better. The douche had no problem with the Gilliam and Black cards, but he negged me on those anyway. Speaks to his character I guess.

I'm thinking if I decide to invest 30 minutes today trying to get eBay to reverese the negatives, then the fact that he gave negatives to those two auctions would help my case?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
John Michael

Despite winning the very public Tyfanny Vs Ebay case, the lawsuit profondly changed Ebay's policy towards their ultimate customer, the buyer. The publicity generated from Tyfanny Co. buying 200 Tyfanny brand listings on Ebay and finding that 198 were fakes threatened to erode the Ebay empire.
With so many sellers on this site, I'm sure it will be an unpopular stance, but I firmly believe that Ebay's adopting "the customer is always right" approach is working out best for all involved, in the long run. All this is not to say the buyer wasn't a douche.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
Despite winning the very public Tyfanny Vs Ebay case, the lawsuit profondly changed Ebay's policy towards their ultimate customer, the buyer. The publicity generated from Tyfanny Co. buying 200 Tyfanny brand listings on Ebay and finding that 198 were fakes threatened to erode the Ebay empire.
With so many sellers on this site, I'm sure it will be an unpopular stance, but I firmly believe that Ebay's adopting "the customer is always right" approach is working out best for all involved, in the long run. All this is not to say the buyer wasn't a douche.

I agree with you.......the policy probably helps alot more people than it hurts, and the buyer is a douche.

The verdict in the Carterscards thread on the homepage forum (assuming it is true) gives me hope of about a 5% chance of having my negatives reveresed if I decide to invest 30 minutes on the phone!