NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Justin

Default Name your collection

Sorry if this has been hashed through, but even if it has it doesn't appear to be recently. I used the search function and couldn't find any threads.

What is the focus of your collection(s)?

I honed in on HOF RC's. I know this is unattainable, at least for me, so I'm concentrating on the post war set and worry about the pre if I can ever get this one done. In the mean time, I find myself wanting to start other sub collections. Team cards, AS, Leaders, etc.

Looking for fun ideas that aren't overly expensive and will allow me to continue my HOF RC search. I guess I am wanting to add volume more than anything.

Shoot some ideas across with or without your reasoning...
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
George Gogol

Great thread, I am working on a 1955 topps BB set, Koufax and a couple commons away from complete. I also am going on my 8 yr. anniversary of working on my t206 set, I have about 320 of them. On the side I work on a 1972 PSA 8 team set of the Reds, and a 1961 topps subset of multiple player cards (great photos and a fun subset). Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Karl Mattson

All I collect nowadays are Harmon Killebrew pre-1976 cards and memorabilia.

In the early to mid-1980s, I collected everything Topps Baseball, with a focus on test issues; in the late '80s-early '90s I switched to a type collection (one of everything in the price guide, pre-1970); then I quit altogether for about 17 years (actually I switched to pre-1970 comics and original comic art) until I decided to do this Killebrew thing.

There are all kinds of fun ways to collect. The problem for me was always wanting to display and be surrounded by as much of my collection as possible. Once it got too big and/or too valuable, I would make the switch (it's fun owning rare stuff, but less fun IMO if you have to keep it in a safety deposit box).

I've always tried for collections that were attainable, but not easily attainable. Sometimes the quest can be more fun than the acquisition.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Mattson View Post

I've always tried for collections that were attainable, but not easily attainable. Sometimes the quest can be more fun than the acquisition.

I think that line is a perfectly fitting statement. I want something affordable to collect (while leaving money for my primary), yet not all together easy. It seems like team cards may satisfy both??

Great thoughts so far. I think it is a great topic for anyone in the middle or just starting a new collection. I assume there are quite a few out there like me looking for their next treasure........
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Rob Miller

Default Post-War HOF RC

Hey,

That has been one of many focuses for me:

http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/po...hofrookiecards

The rest of my collection is separated out on my ImageEvent site:

http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan

I have been fortunate not to slip up and go off track. I have made a vow that I would not start a new project until I complete at least 3.

Rob
Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Jeff

I'm focused on getting one card of every player in the baseball hall of fame:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...x?s=82644&ac=1

I'm also working on some hockey projects - 1963-64 Parkhurst Hockey in PSA 7-8 and a run of Wayne Gretzky regular issue O-Pee-Chee cards:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...t.aspx?s=75047

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...t.aspx?s=79866

My entire collection can also be viewed by clicking on my sig. below.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 02-21-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Patrick N.

Default I've

I've sort of moved away from set building for the most part, why spend big $ on commons/high #'s just to finish a set?

So besides a few sets that I do want to complete and upgrade ('57, 60, 71) I am focused on picking up classic cards, HOFers, and rookies. I'm also picking up cards that I just "like" for whatever reason, usually having to do with the pose/action/color combined with the design. I'm also wanting to pick up a few mid-grade 50s Mantles.

So in summary, I am picking up a few cards from each base set mostly Topps and Bowman that I like 1952-75. Also, have been working on a couple T206/T205 Team Sets of Cubs/Pirates, not to mention upgrading my Clemente master set. Good luck.

Last edited by mintacular; 02-22-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Justin

You guys have some incredible collections!!! I look forward to being one of you someday answering a thread in the same manner!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Johnny S

League Leaders are a great idea, always great players on the card ! I love to look at the backs and see how many people just missed being on the front of the card, usually many by just a fraction of a point or two and you see how many years the superstars just barely were at the top and sometimes just missed it, and then you have the surprise year by some unknown who had one great year and you never know what happened to them again. Can't go wrong with the All-Star cards. Team cards are also really cool, especially if you have a few favorite teams, or just get as many as you can. Another project could be getting the first and last card of each set, although some will be tough and more expensive especially in the 50's !
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Justin

Anyone with an idea of when the LL and team cards started and more importantly ended (if they have)?? Sorry, I don't have a guide with me at the moment.

Another intriguing set may be the '59 Fleer Williams. Those are some great looking cards IMO and seem like they can be had fairly reasonably

Last edited by Jmad; 02-22-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
David Bender

I'm a player collector (see sig) and focusing now on oddball items contemporary to their careers. Agree with the above - I'd rather collect something I can't find, rather than something I can't afford.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmad View Post
Anyone with an idea of when the LL and team cards started and more importantly ended (if they have)?? Sorry, I don't have a guide with me at the moment.

Another intriguing set may be the '59 Fleer Williams. Those are some great looking cards IMO and seem like they can be had fairly reasonably
Well I know they had league leaders in 1961 and up so maybe that was the first year. And yes 59 Fleer Ted Williams is classic, I wish the prices were what they are now when I put my set together, one of the coolest sets ever made, more like a comic book and great time to buy them is right now !!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Justin

I think that may be the way to go- 59 Fleer Williams set it is. Crazy how exciting this is!!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
J@RR0D

My longest running collection has been getting one signed Topps from each year (52-modern) of a HOFer. '52 of Ashburn, '53 of Spahn, '54 of Ford, etc... I've got maybe 25 or so, on up to more modern ones like an '83 Ripken. But the whole auto/forgery industry is getting so nasty, I've kind of lost heart.

Now, I'm just trying to get a nice card from most of the "legends" from the Ruth era on up. So far, I've got Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle... wait, am I done? I am also grabbing RCs from recent HOFers or likely HOFers while they're still "cheap". Pujols, Blyleven, Glavine, Raines, etc.

I also collect Harmon Killebrew, mainly because he is such a decent person. Musial too.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Justin

Jarrod- picking up RC's of future HOF'ers is a direction I am going as well. Half the fun in that is going to be finding out if we were right or wrong in our guessing game!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Scott H.

Default Milwaukee Braves and t205s

My main focus right now is finishing off my '55 Braves Spic and Span die cuts. Only 5 more to go! Mile High had a lot with the entire set in 2009, but 2 grand + buyers premium is too much for me to be able to shell out in one fell swoop.

I'm also looking to finish off a '58 Braves Topps set. My last card is an Aaron Yellow name.

I've recently started picking up t205s as well. Concentrating on raw commons in generally poor to good condition. I really like the look of that set and the beat up nature of the low grade cards makes them really look vintage!(that's how I rationalize being able to afford only low quality cards)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Jarrod- picking up RC's of future HOF'ers is a direction I am going as well. Half the fun in that is going to be finding out if we were right or wrong in our guessing game!
Yep... I'm still holding out for Dan Quisenberry to get in and make me rich!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
Yep... I'm still holding out for Dan Quisenberry to get in and make me rich!
HAHAHA!! I haven't heard that name in a long time!! Maybe he and Will Clark will make it the same year!!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Name Your Collection

Godzilla.

I collect an 'eclectic' mix of items (or as my wife calls it, "crap"):

Arcade cards

Boxing cards

Movie memorabilia

Pictures

Pinbacks

In general I look for unusual or rare items and try to snag them before they gain notoriety (and price).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Default League Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
Well I know they had league leaders in 1961 and up so maybe that was the first year.
I've been collecting the Topps League Leader cards for awhile. Almost have the whole run. I highly recommend this as a collection. It's a relatively inexpensive way to get a ton of great players and to learn about guys you never realized had such great statistical seasons. '61 was the first year and I consider the master set to run through 1984. Topps ran a LL series every year for those 24 years. After that they didn't do it on a regular basis or didn't do it in the base product.

Obviously these aren't difficult cards to find so I try to keep the hunt fun and I'm in no hurry. I don't buy these on-line, only at shows. There are always plenty around so it gives me something to look for and talk about when I'm at a show.

My other major collection is a George Brett master set (from his playing years only). This one will keep me busy forever. Some of the oddball cards are tough to find. I have about 350 of the 700 unique cards that I've been able to identify. And yet I constantly come across new cards I didn't know about and aren't catalogued.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post
I've been collecting the Topps League Leader cards for awhile. Almost have the whole run. I highly recommend this as a collection. It's a relatively inexpensive way to get a ton of great players and to learn about guys you never realized had such great statistical seasons. '61 was the first year and I consider the master set to run through 1984. Topps ran a LL series every year for those 24 years. After that they didn't do it on a regular basis or didn't do it in the base product.

Obviously these aren't difficult cards to find so I try to keep the hunt fun and I'm in no hurry. I don't buy these on-line, only at shows. There are always plenty around so it gives me something to look for and talk about when I'm at a show.

My other major collection is a George Brett master set (from his playing years only). This one will keep me busy forever. Some of the oddball cards are tough to find. I have about 350 of the 700 unique cards that I've been able to identify. And yet I constantly come across new cards I didn't know about and aren't catalogued.
Great info on the LL set. I like knowing there is a beginning and end as it relates to continous production. I'm just not a fan of the new cards and want to stay away with the exception of a few RC's.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Default .

My main focus is everything Roy Campanella. I collect it all: vintage, modern base and inserts, game-used cards, etc. He's pretty cheap as far as HOFers go and he has some GREAT looking cards.

I also collect Cardinals cards. I'm actively working on the T206 Cardinal set in as many backs as I can afford. So far I've got 11/18 with a 12th in the mail as we speak. I've also started the T205 Cardinal set and have started to add cheap raw vintage Cardinals as I come across them if they have great eye appeal. Eventually I'd like to have every Topps and Bowman Cardinals team set up to 1980 as well as the big sets like the Goudeys, T3, Leaf, etc.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
My main focus is everything Roy Campanella. I collect it all: vintage, modern base and inserts, game-used cards, etc. He's pretty cheap as far as HOFers go and he has some GREAT looking cards.

I also collect Cardinals cards. I'm actively working on the T206 Cardinal set in as many backs as I can afford. So far I've got 11/18 with a 12th in the mail as we speak. I've also started the T205 Cardinal set and have started to add cheap raw vintage Cardinals as I come across them if they have great eye appeal. Eventually I'd like to have every Topps and Bowman Cardinals team set up to 1980 as well as the big sets like the Goudeys, T3, Leaf, etc.
I've thought about Cards team sets as well. How big of a bummer is the Wainright news??? I knew something was up last year when he missed his last scheduled start. I guess they were hoping he could rehab it in the off season. Talk about a blow. Hey, at least we have Berkman...???
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Jason

Default Great question...and some neat answers!

some neat collecting ideas that I haven't heard addressed before (LL cards).
I focus on the following player collections:
Ozzie Smith, Kirby Puckett, Ron Cey, Rickey Henderson, Eddie Mathews, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson, Johnny Bench, and Dwight Evans.
Also starting on Roy Campanella, Jackie Robinson, and Hank Aaron.

There's also the HOFer RC collection that I am now selling off, the Handley player collection, the Tobacco Cubs team sets, the T200 set, and the T206 Classic Images set.

Laser-like narrow focus, dontcha think?

Last edited by JasonL; 02-23-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling & collections added
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Richard A.

An appropriate name for my collection, which would accurately describe my focus, might be 'undecided'. Every baseball book I read, good Net54 thread, etc. causes me to re-think the focus of my collection.

I have started and abandoned many many sets for reasons listed above [Commons. Darn Commons!]. I have considered and abandoned even more sets because the novelty of the idea wore off before I even started the actual collecting part

For me, player and team collecting seems to be the most fun. In addition to some pre-war pursuits, my main post-war pursuit right now is putting together a run of Jackie Robinson Topps cards. I still need a '52 and a '53, and then I may expand to other issues. We'll see.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Larry

I think Exhibitman is right on concerning his comment of looking for rare and/or unusual items (and add significant, in the best grade you can afford) before they rise in notoriety and price. The first sale of the quite rare 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth minor league schedule card I am personally aware of was the 1989 Copeland auction, in which it brought $6,000.00. Try to get your hands on one now for less than $200,000.00! And the Copeland example may or may not have been the higher grade one (VG-EX?) which later fetched $500,000.00 in what I believe was a REA auction several years ago. If so, that's an appreciation of over 20% compounded annually.
John Jay Pittman followed essentially the same approach (with an emphasis on esoteric items of true rarity) in coins in the mid to late 40's through the mid-fifties, reportedly spending approximately $100,000 or so total during that time period. His collection was auctioned off in the '90's following his death for over $25,000,000.00, and he wasn't especially rich when he was collecting (he was an employee of Eastman-Kodak for many years, but apparently not a really high level exec).
Plus, it's quite satisfying to find a very scarce to quite rare item you've been seeking for years!
Happy hunting!

Larry
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Larry

PS to Exhibitman:

Love the Dempsey!!!

Larry
Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Darren DeBruhl

My main focus in on Topps base sets. I have a nearly complete run from 1973- current, with only missing around a dozen cards from being done. I am also over 80% on my first big post-war set 1954 Bowman, after next week I will only be missing around 35 cards!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 PM

I am attempting to get a copy of every card and memorabilia piece of Lou Brock while he was an active player, and currently have about 250 unique items.

I also spent last winter coming up with my list of the top Cardinal players by position, and have spent the last year accumulating their cards, some quite easily (1960's and on), some quite difficulty (Pre WW1 especially).

That has been 90% of my spending the last year or so.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Arnie

While I collect all New York cards, I am really going after the Yankees as my main goal. As many 1980 and older as I can get, and after 1980 I obtain cards I like due to too many to bother with.

So far I have:

Every Bowman 1948-1955
Every regular issue Topps 1951-1980 (and a load of 1980 - 2011)

Then I have a very high percentage of Yankees from older sets like:
T206
T205
T207
Goudeys, all years
Play Balls
Leaf
Strip Cards
Dan Dee
Red Heart
American Caramel all years

and a ton of oddball cards mainly pre-1965 going all the way back

I really enjoy being a team collector because it gives me latitude to get so many different cards from the early 1900's up thru the current sets of the current year.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 03-03-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Paul Carek

My personal focus:

-- 1952 Bowman
-- Top tier HOFers from classic sets
-- 1973-80 Topps (my "pack-opening years")

Another idea I had (and posted about) a while back, that never quite got off the ground:

A "Tragic Heroes" collection featuring players on the wrong end of the stick during famous baseball moments. A few examples:

Fred Merkle (grab an affordable T205 or T206)
Charley Root (nice-looking '33 Goudey)
Mickey Owen ('39 Play Ball?)

Last edited by paulcarek; 03-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM

This topic is particularly relevant to me as I have decided to get back into collecting after dabbling with vintage cards. I have tried set collecting, but didn't want to feel obligated to purchase expensive commons. I also tried the "if I see something I like buy it", but found I prefer some structure in collecting.

I thought about collecting only hofers from a certain set or sets but, like cdn_collector mentioned, everytime I see a different thread or article I realize there are lots of types of cards which appeal to me.

I have decided to put together a hall of fame collection. I figure it is defined in scope and will allow me to use different types of cards. I realize I may never complete the set, but it will be fun trying.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
While I collect all New York cards, I am really going after the Yankees as my main goal. As many 1980 and older as I can get, and after 1980 I obtain cards I like due to too many to bother with.

So far I have:

Every Bowman 1948-1955
Every regular issue Topps 1951-1980 (and a load of 1980 - 2011)

Then I have a very high percentage of Yankees from older sets like:
T206
T205
T207
Goudeys, all years
Play Balls
Leaf
Strip Cards
Dan Dee
Red Heart
American Caramel all years

and a ton of oddball cards mainly pre-1965 going all the way back

I really enjoy being a team collector because it gives me latitude to get so many different cards from the early 1900's up thru the current sets of the current year.
I share your sentiment. Just not the same team .
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Jay D

I recently got back into vintage card collecting. I figured i would start by completing my Mickey Mantle collection. I want one major issue card (topps or bowman) from every year he had a card. I was about 1/2 way there when i picked back up. I specialize in "collectors grade" or beat up cards!

I've managed to get a card for every year except 1953. I really like the Topps, so i am waiting for one i can afford. I think a 1951 may be out of reach, but i was able to get a 1952 Bowman in a range i could afford, so i was happy about that.

I also try to collect Hank Greenberg cards. He shipped off to WW2 out of Detroit with my Grandpa, so i feel like there is a connection to my past. Have 2 Goudeys and the National Chicle card so far.

Some pics of the collection before the recent updates:

Last edited by DetroitJay; 03-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Larry

I collect stars and hall-of-famers, focusing on their rarer cards. I find it gives me the freedom to collect a wide variety of cards, rather than being bound to just a set or two. A good example of a fairly recent acquistion might be the
1956 Kahn's Frank Robinson card. Finally got an example with very nice eye appeal (low technical grade of SGC fair, due to back damage--it had apparently been glued in a scrapbook, but that preserved the rest of the card, which appears to be EX+). Had been searching for that card for about a dozen years with no luck (other than seeing it offered as one of perhaps 25 cards included in a single lot in something like an REA auction), and finally getting one was very, very satisfying!

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry
Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitJay View Post
I recently got back into vintage card collecting. I figured i would start by completing my Mickey Mantle collection. I want one major issue card (topps or bowman) from every year he had a card. I was about 1/2 way there when i picked back up. I specialize in "collectors grade" or beat up cards!

I've managed to get a card for every year except 1953. I really like the Topps, so i am waiting for one i can afford. I think a 1951 may be out of reach, but i was able to get a 1952 Bowman in a range i could afford, so i was happy about that.

I also try to collect Hank Greenberg cards. He shipped off to WW2 out of Detroit with my Grandpa, so i feel like there is a connection to my past. Have 2 Goudeys and the National Chicle card so far.

Some pics of the collection before the recent updates:

Those are some great shots!! It's really cool you have the connection to Greenberg.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Travis W.

I've just recently gotten into vintage collecting after I finally just decided I'd had my fill of the "current" stuff. I decided to start off with a set that I've always really liked (the '55 Topps baseball) and currently I'm a little over half way finished with it. After that I plan to take on a much more long term goal of the '54 Topps baseball set, which I also really like, entirely graded PSA 7 or above. I imagine that in the process of working on that one I may pick up some other stuff here and there as well just to keep me sane
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Arnie

I posted earlier in this thread that i collected New York cards, mainly Yankees.

Now I am adding a smaller new part to my collecting - cards of Jewish ballplayers. There actually are around 150 - 160 of them, and a good pct. of them had baseball cards. There are sets made recently of Jewish ballplayers, but except for guys with no other cards, I wont use those sets, I want the real cards from their playing days. I just started my collection by getting a Hank Greenberg, a Sandy Koufax, and a Moe Arnovitch. Of course, I also have a bunch of the recent guys like Ryan Braun (father was Jewish), Keven Youkilis, etc.

The neat thing about this collection, just like my Yankees team collection, is that I can get all kinds of different cards from the early 1900's thru the newest current cards, and all different manufacturers.

I love when a collection has a strong theme but also has variety to the cards rather than just putting one set together.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Jay D

Quote:
Those are some great shots!! It's really cool you have the connection to Greenberg.
Yeh, i remember my Grandma telling me about the connection years ago when i was a kid. A few years ago i found my Grandpa's discharge papers and the induction day matched up, departure from Detroit via train.

A couple months back there were a ton of pictures on ebay of Greenbergs army induction and departure. All the dates matched up perfectly. Unfortunately i thought they were a little over priced and passed on them.