NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Josh

Default If you had $5-10k to invest...The Mick or Stocks?

I started thinking about this recently. With the current economic and governmental climate, the stock market does not seem like the same safe mid-to-long-term investment that it used to be. I don't really understand why it's going up and that makes me nervous. Maybe it's still safe in the long-term (20+ years), but that's what a 401k is for...

So, if you had $5-10k to invest, would you rather put it into stocks or high end vintage? If vintage, what would you buy? It doesn't have to be Mickey Mantle. It could be a Clemente RC, perhaps? Anyway, have at it.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Larry More.y

IMO, over the long term, you will realize a return on either stocks or high end vintage. With cards, you can hold and show off your asset, but no one will be able to touch, enjoy or really even care about your facebook shares.

In my case, I try to stay diverse in what I put my extra money into: cards, stocks/funds, real estate. There are up and downs in all of these markets, but in the long term they have all grown in value. Personally I like the cards because I can hold them, share them etc.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Tim B
Banned

Stocks - and it is not close.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Ben North

It depends on how each market is doing. I would buy into what ever one is doing the worst at the time of purchase.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Agree S&P 500 all the way.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would not look for investment advice on a baseball card chat board.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This is probably the best advice. Although I read somewhere that the 52 Mantle has beat the dow average rate of return almost every year over the last 25 or 30 years.

I have a lot into my Mantle collection. But they aren't just investments I enjoy owning them.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Sean Sullivan

There is a great article on this:
http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...l-card-values/

Having done both; I will say that stocks win hands down; but cards are prettier to look at.
But then again, now that I think about it, the only reason I even buy stock in the first place is to get money to buy cards...
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Blue Chip Stocks with dividends
Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
This is probably the best advice. Although I read somewhere that the 52 Mantle has beat the dow average rate of return almost every year over the last 25 or 30 years.

I have a lot into my Mantle collection. But they aren't just investments I enjoy owning them.
I'm sure there are a few people with a financial background (besides me) on net54. I could in theory give out some excellent advice and I am on the board.

I would think you're talking about the highest of high end 52T311's beating the Dow rate of return. I believe that could be true in terms of price but we're talking a baseball card market with far less liquidity and questionable public information; true of stocks too and to what extent depends on your beliefs - not going there). When you own a 7, 8, or 9, though, I imagine you'd be selling to finite amount of buyers. Could be good or bad for a market, in many ways, as I am sure we all know...

And let's face it - it's a nice problem to have. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:21 PM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree S&P 500 all the way.

I agree with your agree!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM
N
Banned

Buy some Amazon if you can. I had a school project to see short term stock investments, Amazon has gone up almost 65 points in the past month (more than 5%).

But yeah, definitely stock.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

ETF or index fund.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Josh

My original post is not seeking financial advice. I'm just wondering how people feel about it.

That aside...In general, the stock market goes up over the long-term, but can anyone explain why? Is it weird that most people invest in the market not having any idea why they should expect it to go up other than the fact that history says so?

Last edited by sickmantz; 04-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Tim B
Banned

The stock market meaning the major indexes?

Two major reasons are the fact that these indexes often represent the best American companies and value these companies based on their growth and profitability. Companies that fail are bounced from the index. Like not counting dropouts in the graduation rates. Also, inflation and wages play a key role. Most often, companies pay for wage increases by offering 'less product' or raising prices. Over time, this will create inflation over the long term and that inflation is better reflected in a stock. That's why you here people complain about wage growth against cost of living. Put simply below:

If milk is 4 dollars a gallon and I make 100 a day, and the cost of milk goes to 8 and I get a raise to 150, I am making more money but I can't purchase as much. That's basic inflation. Along the lines of the same example, 100 in milk company stock in that scenario would be worth 215 after the price change and 'raises' because they're profit margin went up despite offering a raise.

That is as best as I can explain it while keeping it simple and not putting people to sleep. Bottom line, most we'll run companies use these tricks to pay off their investors - the shareholders. Being one means you've got a share of the pie.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Larry

I think you could do quite well in either, but IMHO, I certainly would not put five figures into one of the endless stream of off-grade '52 Topps Mantles that hit the auction sites--there are simply too many of them (a PSA 7-9 might well be a different story, albeit with a much higher acquisition cost). There is a relatively simple formula which applies to most collectible fields with regard to appreciation, and I actively study cars, coins and cards. You want something that is rare and significant, and in the best condition you can find or afford. Condition is the easiest of the three factors to evaluate and educate yourself about--ascertaining the other two requires some devoted study. The Mick and any of his cards issued during his playing career are significant, so that element is not a problem. Personally, I would look for something like his '53-54 Briggs Meat card in as nice a condition as you can find (even if graded authentic, as I think most of them are, since it is hand-cut), or the '55 Exhibit Postcard back, which also has proven to be quite elusive over the last few years. Demand usually comes around in time to truly rare and significant items.

Good thread,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-27-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At least you never have to over pay for the advice here and folks are always willing to tell you what you ought to do about stuff
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

OK- Women and Alcohol aren't good enough any more?!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmantz View Post
My original post is not seeking financial advice. I'm just wondering how people feel about it.

That aside...In general, the stock market goes up over the long-term, but can anyone explain why? Is it weird that most people invest in the market not having any idea why they should expect it to go up other than the fact that history says so?
Improvements in productivity and innovation are at the core of it, I believe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-28-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I think you could do quite well in either, but IMHO, I certainly would not put five figures into one of the endless stream of off-grade '52 Topps Mantles that hit the auction sites--there are simply too many of them (a PSA 7-9 might well be a different story, albeit with a much higher acquisition cost). There is a relatively simple formula which applies to most collectible fields with regard to appreciation, and I actively study cars, coins and cards. You want something that is rare and significant, and in the best condition you can find or afford. Condition is the easiest of the three factors to evaluate and educate yourself about--ascertaining the other two requires some devoted study. The Mick and any of his cards issued during his playing career are significant, so that element is not a problem. Personally, I would look for something like his '53-54 Briggs Meat card in as nice a condition as you can find (even if graded authentic, as I think most of them are, since it is hand-cut), or the '55 Exhibit Postcard back, which also has proven to be quite elusive over the last few years. Demand usually comes around in time to truly rare and significant items.

Good thread,

Larry
Larry I don't know. I think much depends on at what point you buy, and whether there is really any demand for the issue even if rare. If you bought a nice 4 or 5 52T three years ago, you've probably doubled your money. At the same time, a number of years ago I bought a number graded Bazooka which are close to non-existent (nearly all the slabbed ones are AUTH), but I doubt it's appreciated much.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-28-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Steve

Default Silly question

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
OK- Women and Alcohol aren't good enough any more?!

Still plenty good, but they always were risky investments.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Why do people invest in the stock market when they don't know why?

I'm a movie buff, so I'll quote one of my favorites.....

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals. And you know it."

They do it because that's how it's always been done. If I had excess money and didn't feel it would make or break my standard of living, I would always go for the cards.
This hobby is fun!
Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I would save your 5-10k for now. Wait for a 10-20% pull back in the S&P 500, possiblly wait for a recession, then plunk that money into a SPY etf. This is what I'm waiting for. Idk by no means am I a professional investment advisor, I'm sure there are many out there who think my theory Is nuts lol. Still fun to talk about the subject.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-30-2017 at 01:20 PM.