NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the point that Fred was trying to convey with the large scans.

I'll go ahead and say it. To me, the Brown appears trimmed and the the Young appears to have re-colored corners. The borders on Brown are too thin and no way Young has that much border wear, but barely any wear on the corners.
The gold borders on T205 cards flake easily, and can be exclusive to corner wear. It is possible that the corners have been recolored.

Brian
Old 02-10-2019, 04:43 PM
FredYoung

Default Thanks Guys---

-----for posting your thoughts. I never will be as expert on old tobacco cards as are MANY here on N54, which is why I posted the larger scans.

Doesn't the huge white borders & bottom line printing on Brown look very funny & unreal to anyone? It doesn't seem to be close to the printing on my Brown.

Hope others chime in--I'm just trying to educate myself!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Chuck Price

Sorry for your loss guy. You don’t normally see so many great looking cards in one collection, wish you supplied better pics. I could be wrong, but I’m not feeling the black ink the names were printed in.

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"

chuckspestelimination@yahoo.com
Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietheexterminator View Post
Sorry for your loss guy. You don’t normally see so many great looking cards in one collection, wish you supplied better pics. I could be wrong, but I’m not feeling the black ink the names were printed in.
Yeap.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Ethan

Default Group

Does the McGraw CJ look a bit long to anyone else? Maybe just the angle.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
----93 posts in the 1st day and a half and not a peep by ANYONE since I put up some scans yesterday? (Not even the OP).

I'm amazed & perplexed at the same time.
Thank you for the enlarged photos.

To give a little bit more information the writing on the bottom of the piedmont and sports life cards are more of a light/dark brown rather than a black. Idk if that helps? Both cobbs the speaker and the others have brown writing. The caramel plank has black writing on the bottom of the card.

On the Cy young card and the coloring of the corners, I looked at the gloss in the light and it all seems super consistent (the gold border) and the corners have slight wear to them so if they were colored I dont think there would be any white wearing to them at all? As one member said it looks like the gold border is fragile and prone to chipping as there are several slight "chips" in the border.

I could provide measurements on the brown card as well I really don't see any evidence of trimming the sides of the card look absolutely untouched, but I am absolutely no expert I have no clue.

I am still gathering a lot of information as the days go on as I talk with people to learn more about the cards and get ready to make the decision on grading or whatever the future is. Thank you everybody for looking, discussing and telling me your opinions. I really appreciate the enlarged photos too!!!!

Any more info regarding the cards I can provide just ask thank you.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
-----for posting your thoughts. I never will be as expert on old tobacco cards as are MANY here on N54, which is why I posted the larger scans.

Doesn't the huge white borders & bottom line printing on Brown look very funny & unreal to anyone? It doesn't seem to be close to the printing on my Brown.

Hope others chime in--I'm just trying to educate myself!
Not sure about the printing being any different. Same placement, color and position. My pictures suck, but the writing when im looking at it in my hands seems to match exactly especially the color. Your card has perfect side to side centering while mine is off by a decent margin. The up and down seems a little skinny and suspect on the top of the card because our bottoms look very similar in regards to spacing I do agree. I could measure my card pretty accurately. When I hold it on its side and look at the sides themselves I just dont see any evidence of trimming, but again I have no idea. Thank you guys.

Edit: I put the brown card on top of the green cobb card to compare sizes and it looks the exact same size if not a nano meter(idk what to call it) bigger. Both side to side and up and down seems to be same size. Again I have no idea if that helps or if it proves anything.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-10-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatehabitat24 View Post
Not sure about the printing being any different. Same placement, color and position. My pictures suck, but the writing when im looking at it in my hands seems to match exactly especially the color. Your card has perfect side to side centering while mine is off by a decent margin. The up and down seems a little skinny and suspect on the top of the card because our bottoms look very similar in regards to spacing I do agree. I could measure my card pretty accurately. When I hold it on its side and look at the sides themselves I just dont see any evidence of trimming, but again I have no idea. Thank you guys.

Edit: I put the brown card on top of the green cobb card to compare sizes and it looks the exact same size if not a nano meter(idk what to call it) bigger. Both side to side and up and down seems to be same size. Again I have no idea if that helps or if it proves anything.
What does that gold sticker on the case of the card of M Brown say?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
What does that gold sticker on the case of the card of M Brown say?
Good question.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
Good question.
It looks familiar but I just can't remember what it is. I PMed the OP for pics sent directly from their phone to my email. If they can do that it should be pretty easy to see what they are with full size pictures. Most cell phones take very high quality pictures. The ones that have been posted on here are good pics that have been greatly reduced in size.