NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Joe Jesselli

Default Wonderful newsreel footage (with sound!) of opening day at Yankee Stadium 1931

https://youtu.be/HNe9OM43EZs

This was posted on Youtube today. See Babe Ruth take batting practice. See Lou Gehrig ground into a double play. Goosebump quality.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 AM
pete ullman

That IS INSANE footage!!!! The clarity...and the awkwardness...AWESOME!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Dan Bl@u

Amazing! The crack of the ball coming off Ruth's bat at 0:42 and 0:50 is unreal. Wish you could bottle that stuff and sell it.

And I don't think I've ever seen someone swing the bat as fast as he does right at the 10:00 mark.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

That was a really cool video. Best quality for 1931 that I have ever seen. So cool to see the players on the cards that we collect come to life.

When Ruth said No scorecards, I wonder if he refused to sign scorecards. Probably worried that someone might sell it on eBay one day.

Was that Bing Crosby throwing out the first pitch?

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Hank Thomas

There is a smorgasbord of films like this at the U. of South Carolina video archives, including lengthy segments from many big league spring training camps in the early 1930s:

https://mirc.sc.edu/islandora/search...%28baseball%29

The beauty of these for me is that they are outtakes, not the polished newsreels, so you get to see and hear the players and other personalities as they really were.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 PM

That really is amazing. I think Ruffing was wearing a warm-up jacket while running the bases.

Here's a box score for the game.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

So good!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Wow

Outstanding. Thanks for posting it, Joe. The clarity was amazing. Loved the candor....Babe and his wife had to be coached on their interview. The first ball was tossed out by NYC Mayor Jimmy Walker. He was a real crook!

The Yanks won 6-3 that day. Attendance was 70,000! I enjoyed seeing the fans crammed into the stands, The men all wore hats. Everyone was smoking. The game started at 3:00 PM so that everyone could attend and it would get dark early in April. Notice the pace of the game. They finished in 1:55.

Last edited by mantlefan; 03-21-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:28 PM

I could watch that video over and over! Thanks for posting! The "Dec 7, 1929 - Driving Through Broadway At Daytime, NYC" is great, too.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Mike

The outfield dimensions are great . Left Field is very short ( under 300 ft ?) , left center was a Mile ! and Center Field is about 500 feet. I believe Right Field was under 300 feet but I didn't see it in the video. Anyone know the dimensions in 1931 ?

Great Video, thanks.

Interesting seeing a fielder picking up his glove at 12:52 for the next inning. Back in the day they didn't take their gloves back with them to the dugout but left them in the field.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 03-21-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 PM
David

Default Game Film

That was awesome....

I noticed the flag at half staff (why?)
I loved how the train stopped during anthem
Never see this again - hats and wool suits
and what a huge ball park from that 1st base vantage point

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by OldSchoolBaseball; 03-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wow wow wow. Just incredible.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
The outfield dimensions are great . Left Field is very short ( under 300 ft ?) , left center was a Mile ! and Center Field is about 500 feet. I believe Right Field was under 300 feet but I didn't see it in the video. Anyone know the dimensions in 1931 ?

Great Video, thanks.

Interesting seeing a fielder picking up his glove at 12:52 for the next inning. Back in the day they didn't take their gloves back with them to the dugout but left them in the field.
Mike I also noticed the dimensions, wow, todays players would whine if they had to hit in that stadium--and yet Babe and Lou hit shots there---left/center and center field was deep and huge.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Great stuff. I might have to start watching more footage of old games.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Jerry

Thanks for posting the link to this 1931 film (I love the banter between the Babe and Claire :-) ... plus the link to the USC video archive. Some cool film in there!

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/
Old 03-24-2018, 07:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Great video, thanks for sharing.

I noticed, at the 7:50 mark, the cameraman (seemed?) focused on 2 black gentlemen in the stands. The cameraman didn't move/pan away until the one black gentleman began to stare at the cameraman.

With Jackie not debuting until 1946, I also thought blacks had to sit in their own segregated areas while attending ball games and a whole other bunch of stuff. (back of the bus, etc)

I assume this was only certain states/ball diamonds?

History is funny, and I guess it all depends on who tells it, but I did find that surprising, those 2 gentlemen sitting there, among white people, all the way back in 1931.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:49 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

When was the last time any of us attended a game where almost every man wore a suit and tie?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 AM

I love this. Reminds me of the stories that my grandfather would tell me about going to games. I could close my eyes and smell the mix of cigarettes, cracker jack, and grass.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Don

Outstanding film. Always love watching these. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I noticed, at the 7:50 mark, the cameraman (seemed?) focused on 2 black gentlemen in the stands. The cameraman didn't move/pan away until the one black gentleman began to stare at the cameraman.
I didn't think the camera was focusing on them. Didn't even notice them. Just a couple of faces in the crowd to me.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 AM
S Gross

Fans in the bleacher seats:

"Pay less, cheer louder, and know more about Baseball than anyone else in the park .......... yet sit farthest away from home plate."

Old 03-25-2018, 09:43 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Great video, thanks for sharing.

With Jackie not debuting until 1946, I also thought blacks had to sit in their own segregated areas while attending ball games and a whole other bunch of stuff. (back of the bus, etc)

I assume this was only certain states/ball diamonds?

History is funny, and I guess it all depends on who tells it, but I did find that surprising, those 2 gentlemen sitting there, among white people, all the way back in 1931.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I didn't think the camera was focusing on them. Didn't even notice them. Just a couple of faces in the crowd to me.
That's why I wrote seemed?

All that aside, I was just looking for a history lesson on what I asked. With Jackie not debuting until 1946, which was 15 years after this film was shot, it just struck me seeing these black gentlemen siting among whites.

I am glad to see it, don't get me wrong. It was just surprising for me to see them when I didn't think it was allowed/open like that back in 1931?

Last edited by irv; 03-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 AM

got me charged up for the new season!

Ricky Y