NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Back damage--and grading craziness

We tend to focus on odd ways grading companies judge condition--on the front of cards. But at least there are posted standards to refer to and "errors" that seem clear. Yet the back--and wildly different ways they seem to get judged--get little attention. Stains, paper loss, dirt marks etc. all produce varying impact on grades--and equally scare some people off while not bothering many at all. Wonder how others feel and judge them personally--or can describe what you THINK the grading company standards are. Sometimes it seems that almost anything goes for a "4" or under...
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

One of the more discouraging issues concerning grading is that there seems to be the same weight put on minor paper loss on a blank back as there is paper loss on an important part of the front of a card. I am not sure there is a solution that is fair. Grading by different graders, even at the same company, is very subjective by (human) nature.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM

For the purposes of grading I think paper loss in all forms should result in the lowest grade, either a 1 or a 1.5 at the most.

Even though it seems crazy a blank backed card with paper loss is killed the same way any other card is, I think collecting as a whole should be moving away from number grades anyway.

I say only two grade should be given to all cards: Authentic and Altered. Then let bidders decide what makes a card valuable. It will cease to be a number and begin to be eye appeal, which is all cards should be valued on anyway. Altered cards will still be labeled as such and everyone I think benefits, especially when you consider how much card doctoring is going on now.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Only eye appeal?

I could not disagree more. I feel cards value within a grade should be determined by eye appeal. But pretending a card with striking colors and beauty but a major flaw should be valued at more than an uncirculated example with slightly muted colors is laughable. The hobby has never been that way and never should. Value though for a lower technical grade graded card can and sometimes does outsell a higher grade lower eye appeal as it should. But all flaws are relevant to me. Relying strictly on eye appeal is akin to relying strictly on the number grade. Value should be determined by all factors of the card. Under that criteria a pin hole would be almost irrelevant to value if it were tough to see. I find that logic highly flawed.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-30-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM

I don't think it's laughable. How many Old Judges with faded images grade out at a 7 or 8? A LOT. Would you rather have them or a pristine image with some album removal damage? Under my proposition both types would be graded the same: Authentic, and you can decide what they're worth independently of a number.

My main point is that grading should move away from a number game and toward collector driven interest, which I would argue has a lot to do with eye appeal. Right now cards sell because of their grade. Whether or not they deserve that grade is an argument Board members get into all the time. So what's laughable about eliminating that mine field and moving towards collector interest in the card itself?

Last edited by packs; 06-30-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Greg Mitchell

Appreciate replies but remember that this started with focus strictly on backs...

Yes, paper loss on backs--sometimes, but not always--gets treated like on front. But stains? A lot more leeway if just on backs. It seems minor staining on back on a nice card will still allow a "4" easily. If same small stain on front--no way. And so on.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

What about the 'pin hole' 1? I think it is good because it is an undectable flaw, at least in scan or at first glance

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Alex

Graders need to keep hammering cards with back damage - that keeps them in my price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Greg Mitchell

Would still like to get some comments on what graders seem to be considering in judging back stains or damage or flaws. I would think one of most maddening subjects and therefore some informed speculation welcome.

Last edited by GregMitch34; 07-01-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM

I would think they are considering any and all back damage to mean that a piece of the original card has been removed. In the world of grading as it is this type of damage should result in the lowest grade. You can't grade a card as though it were complete if it is not, no matter how small the loss may be.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Graders need to keep hammering cards with back damage - that keeps them in my price range.
Precisely! Esp. the blank backs.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM

On the subject of paper loss, I just saw this Gehrig PSA 1.5 on eBay:

Paper loss on the front of the card but it is graded 1.5. I'd sent my PSA 1 Gehrig into PSA twice for a regrade and it was refused both times. Nothing against PSA but it's confusing:

Last edited by packs; 07-02-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Ken

I can't tell how the graders grade, but they seem to put more emphasis on some paper loss or stain on a blank or generic back and on things like corners than on the gloss and eye appeal of the picture. As a collector, I am often willing to trade problems with the back for a glossy front, even if the corners are rounded. Some company used to grade different aspects of the card, corners, front, back, centering etc. and then do an overall grade. While I don't prefer that method, it might lead to more thoughtful grading by the service companies.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Greg Mitchell

I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that up to VG-Ex the graders let a lot go in terms of a little dirt or stain on the reverse, but from Ex on up much tougher. I have a couple nice card that are easily "5s" but PSA gave them a 4 due to very slight stains. But they probably would not have docked a slightly weaker card.