NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Default Beware... Moser cards apparently in Mile High Auction

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1302127
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Bad not shocking....so sad..... next nothing to see here
Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Bye bye Brenty, or is it Brent trying to change the dialogue. I'd be curious who consigned them.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Are they suggesting that the Boston Store Ruth was messed with?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Are they suggesting that the Boston Store Ruth was messed with?
That is Manny who was Set Builder here. He claims it is bleached. The Blowout guys did not identify that one and one objected.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-24-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

delete

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-24-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Who are the Blowout Guys? I've never done business with anyone on this forum. Why are they getting recognition for this stuff?
Because they deserve it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Who are the Blowout Guys? I've never done business with anyone on this forum. Why are they getting recognition for this stuff?
Because they found it.... most are experienced collectors just like over here. Just like they refer to us as Net54’s...etc... how do u know u haven’t done business with any one over there? There are 10s of thousands of members there.... that is if you’re Dixiedog over there?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Why does it matter that none of them will buy your cards?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That is Manny who was Set Builder here. He claims it is bleached. The Blowout guys did not identify that one and one objected.
So someone would bleach a $132,000 card? Sounds crazy to me.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

What a stunning miscalculation he made not to take down the 52T Mantle. All that bullshit about it being conserved. It's so fitting that his arrogance and misplaced sense of invulnerability led to all this.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-24-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

[QUOTE=bnorth;1892523]Why does it matter that none of them will buy your cards?[/QUOT
delete

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-24-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think it's a stretch, myself, and likely a scan thing.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Also, if one were to bleach a $132,000 card, and I'm not convinced anyone did, it should be a more common one.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
It seems as if there is a lot of crazy going on right now, but yeah, that would be pretty crazy.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:34 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

312 just posted a few more... he said the volume he is seeing in the auction is staggering and he wouldn’t be surprised if nearly every card in the auction has been altered. This is not a good look for MileHigh... whether it’s malicious or not...
Old 06-24-2019, 07:40 PM
pete ullman

I just got home to find my mile high catalog in my mailbox I immediately sent them a message asking to be removed and told them why.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I just got home to find my mile high catalog in my mailbox I immediately sent them a message asking to be removed and told them why.
You sound like all those parents who after the swimsuit issue canceled their son's SI subscription.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-24-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
You sound like all those parents who after the swimsuit issue canceled their son's SI subscription.
Seriously??? The swimsuit edition is the only reason to have a subscription to sports illustrated !!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 PM
David Peck

I am confused. I thought if one avoided PWCC suctions they were safe and the chances of buying an altered card were much lower.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I am confused. I thought if one avoided PWCC suctions they were safe and the chances of buying an altered card were much lower.
The sky is falling.

We’re surtounded by communist sympathizers

There are many people with varied interests in seeing this situation play out in different ways. There is very little fact and quite a lot of speculation still circulating. The BO folks have identified some significant number of potentially altered cards and adopted a guilt-by-association mentality toward any cards submitted with them. That is prudent but who knows if it will turn out to be the exception or the rule?

Bottom line is that it’s going to take quite a while for all of this to be looked into and sorted out. Is it possible that some bad slabs made it into the MH auction or any other major auction house? Sure. Is it likely to be practically every card? That seems to be a bit of a reach without evidence to back up such a comprehensive assertion. The latter seems more like an attempt to induce panic.

Last edited by 70ToppsFanatic; 06-24-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Since when does PWCC have a monopoly on being good for the hobby?

Perhaps because their vault is bigger than the rest.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:30 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Safe to say you have sarcasm face on right now?

Just in case you don’t, you don’t feel like this is a big deal? I did my early bidding today and saw a lot of the cards that are now being called out, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is 25% to a third of the auction that’s now “suspect”. There were already a few lots withdrawn as of mid-day today, I would imagine there are dozens more coming soon.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Never been real fond of auction houses that have unmarked reserve pieces as well as lots that they themselves have financial interests in. It's on page 1 under 2.d) in their current catalog if you want to take a look.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
The sky is falling.

We’re surtounded by communist sympathizers

There are many people with varied interests in seeing this situation play out in different ways. There is very little fact and quite a lot of speculation still circulating. The BO folks have identified some significant number of potentially altered cards and adopted a guilt-by-association mentality toward any cards submitted with them. That is prudent but who knows if it will turn out to be the exception or the rule?

Bottom line is that it’s going to take quite a while for all of this to be looked into and sorted out. Is it possible that some bad slabs made it into the MH auction or any other major auction house? Sure. Is it likely to be practically every card? That seems to be a bit of a reach without evidence to back up such a comprehensive assertion. The latter seems more like an attempt to induce panic.
I have no interest other than that the truth about this blight on the hobby finally come to light whatever its extent is. And that there be consequences for those who have created it and enabled it, I should add. I am sure many feel the same way, whatever the consequences. I hope for the best and fear the worst. As for looking into it and sorting it out, the only ones who are going to do that are those of us motivated to do so. If you think TPGs or AHs are going to do it, I respectfully disagree, their interest is to minimize and contain.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-24-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
There's evidence that Brent participated in the fraud. That's the best reason to avoid PWCC auctions.

The Mile High auction could be an attempt at a large inventory dump.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:38 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ToppsFanatic View Post
There is very little fact and quite a lot of speculation still circulating. The BO folks have identified some significant number of potentially altered cards and adopted a guilt-by-association mentality toward any cards submitted with them. That is prudent but who knows if it will turn out to be the exception or the rule?

Is it possible that some bad slabs made it into the MH auction or any other major auction house? Sure. Is it likely to be practically every card? That seems to be a bit of a reach without evidence to back up such a comprehensive assertion.
So for the record, you’d be cool winning these cards then?

It Wouldn’t change your mind at all if you knew who consigned them, you would bid the same regardless?

And you’d have zero problem bidding in their auctions again after finding out they were accepting consignments from someone who was actively seeking to get altered cards past the TPGs?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Blowout reports many of the cards have been taken down, but the guy running the show says many more altered cards remain. Stay tuned I guess to see how it plays out. I am glad Brian is responding.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM
J@son C@rter

Default Withdrawn Lots

At first glance there are 12 lots that have been withdrawn, much more than the 1-2 per auction. I would not be surprised if Brian found out that they were Moser's work and promptly withdrew them. Having dealt with Brian I have complete faith that he would do the right thing as he is a stand up guy.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Good Job By AH pulling these...
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Brian has a lot more sense than Brent.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Brian has a lot more sense than Brent.
Agree +1
Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 AM
Brian

Very good the reported lots were pulled. This fraud that has come to light has done serious damage to my faith in all the TPGs. Anything of value and greater than say a graded VG/EX will have me question whether the card has been altered or not.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 AM

a

Last edited by dabbuu; 06-25-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: a
Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Safe to say you have sarcasm face on right now?

Just in case you don’t, you don’t feel like this is a big deal? I did my early bidding today and saw a lot of the cards that are now being called out, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is 25% to a third of the auction that’s now “suspect”. There were already a few lots withdrawn as of mid-day today, I would imagine there are dozens more coming soon.
Yes of course I was joking.

In a thread last week on this forum we had some spirited back and forth and I was on the side that you would see cards surface in other auction houses just as easily.

No surprise here whatsoever.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I have been following all the "stories" on altered cards and a thought came to me. I haven't looked at all the cards that have been called out but are they all higher dollar cards? What about the, say T206's that have PSA grades but are commons like a Steinfeldt Sweet Caporal I have graded PSA 1.5 or his T205 Piedmont graded PSA 4 with a value of about $40 each?

Not fueling the fire but just curious.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 AM
Troy Rambo

For what it’s worth, I also believe the MHCC guys will do the right thing if there are suspect cards. I bought a lot of t205’s from them & had 8 with cracked cases that weren’t shown in the auction. Called them and they took care of the reholdering. No doubt in my mind they’ll do what’s right in this situation, too.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes of course I was joking.

In a thread last week on this forum we had some spirited back and forth and I was on the side that you would see cards surface in other auction houses just as easily.

No surprise here whatsoever.
Like the old ad for Converse sneakers, they're everywhere.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Awesome job by MH to remove these cards.

And I’m sure that these cards weren’t consigned directly by Moser and that MH never took consignments from Moser over the years when everyone knew that Moser was a card doctor.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Who Submitted

MH now has the submitter of the cards. It wouldn't take much for the AH to get together and create a list of 'straw submitters'...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What if Moser has submitted openly to MH for years?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Awesome job by MH to remove these cards.

And I’m sure that these cards weren’t consigned directly by Moser and that MH never took consignments from Moser over the years when everyone knew that Moser was a card doctor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What if Moser has submitted openly to MH for years?
Didn't you just say you're sure he hadn't?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-25-2019, 10:08 AM

sarcasm

/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
sarcasm

/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
Cough. Thank you, Mike.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Scott Russell

I'm from Jersey, I usually don't miss sarcasm, I just assume it, sorry!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Agree +1
+1
Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I'm from Jersey, I usually don't miss sarcasm, I just assume it, sorry!
Jersey? Really? What exit?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

At first glance there are 12 lots that have been withdrawn, much more than the 1-2 per auction. I would not be surprised if Brian found out that they were Moser's work and promptly withdrew them. Having dealt with Brian I have complete faith that he would do the right thing as he is a stand up guy.

To the attorneys on the site . . . If MH had a bona fide reason to believe they were being defrauded, could they turn these cards over directly to law enforcement?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post

To the attorneys on the site . . . If MH had a bona fide reason to believe they were being defrauded, could they turn these cards over directly to law enforcement?
That wouldn't be good for business. I wouldn't want to be known as the auction house that will send your cards to law enforcement because some anonymous guy on a forum says they may be altered. Pulling the auction and sending them back seems like the correct response.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Jersey? Really? What exit?
I was off of 80 not the Parkway.