NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-08-2017, 07:56 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default 2002 Topps 206 Odds and Oddities - Joey Votto

I have been looking for the Votto mini from the 2002 Topps 206 for a while even though I was getting out. I have a UZIT, Sweet Caporal Red, and the common Polar Bear. I have not been able to find a Blue and Black Sweet Caporal. I also couldn't find any good information on the odds of these backs.

So today I decided to open a box of Series three I had. I had planned to keep it closed, but I finally got tempted to look. This information may not matter to most people and may not be exact from box to box, but since I couldn't find any help online I thought I would post my findings here for others if they are searching for the same answer.

Here is the mini backs break down of the Series 3 box:

20 Packs, 1 mini/pack:
13 Polar Bear
3 Sweet Caporal Red
2 Sweet Caporal Blue
1 Sweet Caporal Black
1 Uzit

I also had a Series 1 box. I know these don't carry the Votto card, but had fun opening boxes so I did this one also.

mini breakdown Series 1 box:
12 Polar Bear
4 Tolstoi Black
2 Tolstoi Red
1 Cycle
1 Blank Back - This is the oddity promised in the title since I have not seen that a blank back is suppose to exist. I assume this should be a Tolstoi Red based off the findings listed below for Series 2.

A few months back I did open a Series 2 box and kept cards together. I pulled that box out today to add the odds to the other series.

mini breakdown Series 2 Box:
12 Polar Bear
4 Black Piedmont
3 Piedmont Red
1 Carolina Brights

I also watched some box breaks on youtube for series 2:
Box 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkxcugm169g
11 Polar Bear*
5 Piedmont black**
1 Pied Red
1 Carolina Brights
1 pack missing mini

*didn't mention the back on one card, but I assumed it was PB since he made a point to mention the other backs.

**Didn't mention the colors of one of the Piedmonts and it wasn't on screen, but he was excited by the red Piedmont, and even mentioned his 1 red Piedmont and 1 CB at the end of the video leading me to believe the one he didn't mention the color of off screen was black

Youtube box 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpKRCTcbqu0:

14 Polar Bear
4 Piedmont Black
1 Piedmont Red
1 Carolina Brights

Also just another bit of fun:
I did also pull an original t205 from the series 1 box. What is great about that it was a Hoffman Piedmont Second base white. Hoffman t205s were cards I was studying because there were a few variations I noticed and brought up in another thread.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192728

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-08-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:01 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Nice Hoffman: I'd give it a 2.5 Good +.

The odds weren't on the pack or box?
Some of the odds are listed here:
http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/ind...2002_Topps_206
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:06 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Nice Hoffman: I'd give it a 2.5 Good +.

The odds weren't on the pack or box?
Some of the odds are listed here:
http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/ind...2002_Topps_206
The mini back odds aren't listed anywhere, other than the Bazooka, Drum, Lenox, and AB as those were limited to 30 or less. Though based on these numbers we can assume there were approx. 371,100 packs distributed for Series 3 (Since Votto is in Series 3 and started this off in the fist place).

If we go off that approximate number of packs with one mini per pack there should be 371,100 minis. Subtract out the 625 Baz, Drum, Lenox and AB and you are left with 370,475 distributed over the other brand backs. If my box pull was typical the distribution should look like this:

240,809 Polar Bear
55,571 Sweet Cap Red
37,048 Sweet Cap Blue
18,524 Sweet Cap Black
18,524 Uzit

There were 165 subjects so for any particular subject I would think it is close to these numbers:
1459 PB
337 SC Red
225 SC Blue
112 SC Black
112 UZIT

Of course this is based off the small sample size of one box and expecting the BAZ, Drum, Lenox odds are correct (The AB odds worked out to more packs).

This should still be helpful for people like myself when it comes to looking for any particular backs.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

For what it's worth, there were three red back ones on COMC with the one listed in March 2016 selling for $41. There hasn't been a blue back Votto on COMC since 2013 and that one sold for $26, highest of the four that were on site.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:16 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
For what it's worth, there were three red back ones on COMC with the one listed in March 2016 selling for $41. There hasn't been a blue back Votto on COMC since 2013 and that one sold for $26, highest of the four that were on site.
I do remember that red one. I didn't purchase it and found mine on ebay. The blue one's were before I was looking and before I was on COMC, but would have been willing to pay the $26 for one.

I will state another reason I am sure these are hard to find isn't just the low print runs, it is the fact that there was 6 years between their printing and his 2008 Rookie season causing these to be forgotten about in common boxes in storage.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-09-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Hi Andy,

That blank back is cool, I bought quite a few boxes of these back in
2002 and I've never seen one. After reading this thread I looked
and found two series three boxes that I had opened but kept
the cards in the box. Here's the mini breakdown of the two boxes.

13 Polar Bear
3 Sweet Caporal Red
2 Sweet Caporal Blue
1 Sweet Caporal Black
1 Uzit

12 Polar Bear
4 Sweet Caporal Red
2 Sweet Caporal Blue
1 Sweet Caporal Black
1 Uzit

One of them was a Votto but it's a Red Sweet Caporal.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:57 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Hi Andy,

That blank back is cool, I bought quite a few boxes of these back in
2002 and I've never seen one. After reading this thread I looked
and found two series three boxes that I had opened but kept
the cards in the box. Here's the mini breakdown of the two boxes.

13 Polar Bear
3 Sweet Caporal Red
2 Sweet Caporal Blue
1 Sweet Caporal Black
1 Uzit

12 Polar Bear
4 Sweet Caporal Red
2 Sweet Caporal Blue
1 Sweet Caporal Black
1 Uzit

One of them was a Votto but it's a Red Sweet Caporal.
So it shows that there was a very similar break down (with only a variance in 1 PB to SC Red). Also you alluded to my other theory of difficulty since these came out so many years prior to Votto's MLB appearance his cards weren't sorted out.

I wouldn't mind having another sweet caporal red, but believe you could do well ($20-$40) with it in auction, you may be able to hold out for more in a straight sale because as I mentioned I don't see any for sale currently and Votto Master collectors seem to still need them. Could also just be a card to hold onto if he ever gets out of this current slump.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Andy,

I found one box of mini's and I'm pretty sure I have more somewhere.
If I find them and I have an extra Votto you can have it.

I pulled this Wagner from a pack. I also have a Bonds Bazooka somewhere.
img231.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 04-16-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Andy,

I found one box of mini's and I'm pretty sure I have more somewhere.
If I find them and I have an extra Votto you can have it.

I pulled this Wagner from a pack. I also have a Bonds Bazooka somewhere.
Attachment 269698
I certainly wouldn't mind some more Vottos. I really think the Topps 206 sets were fun when they first came out. I was already into vintage, but loved the vintage "feel" being introduced to modern cards.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 AM

I was really into the 2002 Topps 206 set. I have four blank backs, which I grossly overpaid for back then, before it became apparent (or at least I think so) that they weren't an unannounced parallel but instead probably a regular blank back, where one or two sheets slipped through without a back. Pretty neat you found another after all this time.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:44 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapdi View Post
I was really into the 2002 Topps 206 set. I have four blank backs, which I grossly overpaid for back then, before it became apparent (or at least I think so) that they weren't an unannounced parallel but instead probably a regular blank back, where one or two sheets slipped through without a back. Pretty neat you found another after all this time.
Yeah, too bad it was no one that anyone would pay a premium for. I assumed it was just an error, but I still thought it was pretty cool. Thanks for confirming that there were more of them out there (I assumed, but had never heard of them).
Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I just received these 2002 Topps 206 Minis back today from a group submission.

Uzit -Not only is this Uzit a PSA 10 POP 1 - It is the only one graded by PSA at all.
2002 TOPPS 206 VOTTO UZIT - PSA 10 - 3761 by andy neubert, on Flickr

Red Sweet Caporal - Pop 1, out of 5 graded with the next highest being a couple 8s.
2002 TOPPS 206 VOTTO SC RED - PSA 10 - 3764 by andy neubert, on Flickr

Blue Sweet Caporal - Not a POP1, but a POP 2 and they are both here. The next highest grades are 8. I actually had just pulled one of these within the last month from box that I had planned on saving, but got bored.
2002 TOPPS 206 VOTTO SC BLUE - PSA 10 - 3763 by andy neubert, on Flickr
2002 TOPPS 206 VOTTO SC BLUE - PSA 10 - 3762 by andy neubert, on Flickr

Polar Bear - My only miss. There is a POP1 10 out there somewhere, but I don't have it. This has a POP 3 with the single 10 and a single 6, 7, and an 8.
2002 TOPPS 206 VOTTO POLAR BEAR - PSA 9 by andy neubert, on Flickr
Old 05-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default 2002 Topps 206

Hello All,
I got a late start on collecting this set. It is the only one I am building. Might be a long time to complete but still plugging away. If there is any one out there that can help me complete the sets I would be grateful.

I removed my want list from this thread and added it to the buy sell trade forum.

Thanks to the following folks for help toward completing this set:
bn2cardz
swarmee

Last edited by Aj-hman; 05-28-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: posted want list to Buy Sell Trade forum
Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Really big set, and a lot of image variation SPs. Make sure you check COMC and make offers, put cards on your watch list, watch them go on sale, etc. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default 2002 Topps 206

Yes, a really big set. I have been building it since it has released in 2002 and am finally in a place where it is ok to spend some money on its completion.
I search daily on ebay and monthly on Comc. As some of you may know I send out notes to sellers on ebay trying to find more. I was recently successful and have to give a shoutout to Ebay seller stonehead123 for gifting me Uzit #423 Bankston. Stonehead123 is currently selling 1909 Evers Piedmont on Ebay.

Cold calling/ messaging is a slow way to go. Fortunately, I found this site through a google search and found the link through this Votto thread, thanks again bn2cardz! So far this forum has been great and provided me with sold feedback and some cards to help move this project forward. I am still looking for any leads to help me complete so thanks again for the tips on the websites that is the type of information that will get the set build.
The most notable accomplishment from this set building project has been the completing the Polar Bear set; not the completion itself but the quality of the set. By my estimate PSA 9 and 10 selected from thousands duplicates. Also there is also a combination of 75 Base and Mini autograph cards outside the original autograph release. When there is a lul in product availability the new auto cards keep it moving forward.
Thanks again for the feedback. Aaron
Quote:
Really big set, and a lot of image variation SPs. Make sure you check COMC and make offers, put cards on your watch list, watch them go on sale, etc. Good luck.

Last edited by Aj-hman; 07-25-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Default Topps T206

One of my favorites. Loved that it came in series. These are a few that I enjoyed the most. Always liked Olberman when he was on ESPN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.0 KB, 344 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 01:49 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Also check sportslots.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default 2002 Topps 206 Relic Variations

I have noticed over there years that there are mutiple jersey swatch variations from this set. Attached below is the Series 3 Todd Helton the most common are the white jersey and the white jersey with purple stripe. Less common is the purple swatch and the swatch I call the white jersey purple stripe w/ blood. Probably not blood and just a stain. LOL. Anyway there are many more of these varaiations some are listed here. To date 24 swatch variations mostly with or without a stripe.
Three players are true variations with different color jersey relics*.
Series 1:
Cliff Floyd White Jersey and White Jersey w/Turquoise Stripe
Carlos Lee White Jersey, White Jersey w/ Black Stripe and white jersey with stripe and lettering (only one I’ve seen)
Larry Walker Grey Jersey and Grey Jersey w/ Purple Stripe
Magglio Ordonez White Jersey(not common) and White Jersey w/ stripe
Paul Oniell White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Black Stripe
Randy Johnson White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Purple Stripe
Tino Martinez White Jersey w/stripe and White Jersey.. White Jersey confirmed 07/05/2019

Series 2:
Brandon Duckworth White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Red Stripe
Barry Larkin White Jersey and White Jersey with Red Stripe
Christian Guzman White Jersey and White Jersey with Blue Stripe
Darin Erstad White Jersey*, White Jersey with Blue Stripe and Purple Jersey*
Frank Thomas White Jersey White and White Jersey w/ Black Stripe
Matt Williams Grey Jersey and Grey Jersey w/Stripe
Tony Gwynn White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Blue Stripe

Series 3:
Louis Gonzalez Grey Jeresy and Grey Jersey w/Stripe
Mike Piazza White Jersey and White Jersey w/Stripe(not common) white w/ stripe confirmed 7/28/19
Randy Johnson Grey Jersey*and White Jersey*(not common)
Todd Helton White Jersey*, Purple Jersey*, White Jersey w/stripe and discoloration and White Jersey w/ Stripe

scan.jpg

Last edited by Aj-hman; 01-14-2022 at 11:21 PM. Reason: updated listed information
Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default The Missing Autographs

Just curious if anyone has ever seen any of these Series 1&3 Autographs: Series 1- Boone, Soriano, Floyd, Backsmeyer, Giambi and Series 3- Hinske, Lowell, Hunter, Soriano, Thome, LoDuca. These are on the checklists but I do not see them for sale. In 2002 when the set first released I believe I saw a Boone but that was a long time ago so I may be mistaken.

Last edited by Aj-hman; 06-08-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 06-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Wow! Sports lots came trough. Found a Sosa Lenox Back #'d to 10 for $25. Best Buy in a loooooong time. Thanks a ton.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:14 AM

Informative thread.
I do not collect the set but really admire the passion that goes into projects like this.
Continued good luck.
RayB
Old 12-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default 5 Card Stud

Finally got them all! It took some years; the chase was fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 Card Stud.jpg (87.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 5 Card Stud 1.jpg (87.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-29-2020, 04:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Congrats! Always nice to complete a goal.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default Tris Speaker Corked Bat Relic

Oddity for sure.
Odds: Possible 1/1
Only Corked Bat Relic I have seen from this set!
Topps certification #3474073.
Ebay item auction ended Nov 04, 2020.
BIN $495,500.00.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (29.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 12-29-2020, 11:22 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Quote:
Congrats! Always nice to complete a goal.
Thanks John- Just 100 to go for the all backs mini sets!
Old 08-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default 2003 Topps 206- Larger Sample Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
The mini back odds aren't listed anywhere, other than the Bazooka, Drum, Lenox, and AB as those were limited to 30 or less. Though based on these numbers we can assume there were approx. 371,100 packs distributed for Series 3 (Since Votto is in Series 3 and started this off in the fist place).

If we go off that approximate number of packs with one mini per pack there should be 371,100 minis. Subtract out the 625 Baz, Drum, Lenox and AB and you are left with 370,475 distributed over the other brand backs. If my box pull was typical the distribution should look like this:

240,809 Polar Bear
55,571 Sweet Cap Red
37,048 Sweet Cap Blue
18,524 Sweet Cap Black
18,524 Uzit

There were 165 subjects so for any particular subject I would think it is close to these numbers:
1459 PB
337 SC Red
225 SC Blue
112 SC Black
112 UZIT

Of course this is based off the small sample size of one box and expecting the BAZ, Drum, Lenox odds are correct (The AB odds worked out to more packs).

This should still be helpful for people like myself when it comes to looking for any particular backs.
Here is a larger sample size from this release. It may change the Sweet Caporal Black numbers. I am not a stats guy but thought I would put it out there if anyone wanted to crunch some numbers.

2003 Topps 206 Case Break 9/10 boxes

Box1
13 PB
3 SCR
2 SCB
1 SCBlk Roberts
1 Uzit Carter
GU Palmerio
GU Garciparra

Box 2
13 PB
3 SCR
1 SCB
2 SCBlk
1 Uzit
GU Johnson
GU Menkwitch
GU Gwynn

Box 3
13 PB
3 SCR
2 SCB
1 SCBLK
1 Uzit
GU Vaughn
GU Rodriguez
Auto Bradley

Box 4
13 PB
3 SCR
1 SCB
2 SCBLK
1 Uzit A. Rodriguez Blue Jersey
GU Gonzalez
GU Tejada
Buyback T206 Weimer SOV 150

Box 5
13 PB
3 SCR
2 SCB
1 SCBLK
1 Uzit

Box 6
13 PB
3 SCR
2 SCB
1 SCBLK Upton
1 Uzit
GU Dunn
GU Schilling
GU Palmerio

Box 7
13 PB
3 SCR
2 SCB
1 SCBLK
1 Uzit
GU Piazza
GU Edmonds
Buyback T206 Lennox Piedmont 350

Box 8
12 PB
4 SCR
1 SCB
1 SCBLK
1 Uzit
*1 Lenox Alex Rodriguez
GU Tejada
Auto Thames

Box 9
13 PB
3 SCR
1 SCB
2 SCBLK
1 Uzit Halladay
GU Dunn
GU Palmerio
Auto Lopez

Additional Box Break Not from Case
13 PB
3 SCR
2 SCB
1 SCBLK
1 Uzit Meyers
GU Piazza
GU Patterson

Last edited by Aj-hman; 01-14-2022 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-11-2022, 10:13 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Default New Jersey Swatch Variation

Carlos Lee white swatch with stripe and lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj-hman View Post
I have noticed over there years that there are mutiple jersey swatch variations from this set. Attached below is the Series 3 Todd Helton the most common are the white jersey and the white jersey with purple stripe. Less common is the purple swatch and the swatch I call the white jersey purple stripe w/ blood. Probably not blood and just a stain. LOL. Anyway there are many more of these varaiations some are listed here. To date 24 swatch variations mostly with or without a stripe.
Three players are true variations with different color jersey relics*.
Series 1:
Cliff Floyd White Jersey and White Jersey w/Turquoise Stripe
Carlos Lee White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Black Stripe
Magglio Ordonez White Jersey(not common) and White Jersey w/ stripe
Paul Oniell White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Black Stripe
Tino Martinez White Jersey w/stripe and White Jersey.. White Jersey confirmed 07/05/2019

Series 2:
Brandon Duckworth White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Red Stripe
Barry Larkin White Jersey and White Jersey with Red Stripe
Christian Guzman White Jersey and White Jersey with Blue Stripe
Darin Erstad White Jersey*, White Jersey with Blue Stripe and Purple Jersey*
Matt Williams Grey Jersey and Grey Jersey w/Stripe
Tony Gwynn White Jersey and White Jersey w/ Blue Stripe

Series 3:
Louis Gonzalez Grey Jeresy and Grey Jersey w/Stripe
Mike Piazza White Jersey and White Jersey w/Stripe(not common) white w/ stripe confirmed 7/28/19
Randy Johnson Grey Jersey*and White Jersey*(not common)
Todd Helton White Jersey*, Purple Jersey*, White Jersey w/stripe and discoloration and White Jersey w/ Stripe

Attachment 354789
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CE61AF8-271E-4A06-83FB-B6C37BA9AEE6.jpg (13.1 KB, 48 views)