NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Matt

JB, trust me: you absolutely KILLED it with that Aaron. And for UNDER VCP? That don't make no sense. That's a card that gets a mad premium at auction. Major score for your collection bro.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Spent a bit more on this than I'd have liked but I did want one for my Aaron collection:

Since I got rid of the slabs and started trying to have fun again I can't resist these 'silver age' Topps HOFers in decent shape when the price is very right:

I don't think I ever had one of these when I was a kid:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-10-2014, 06:56 PM
C@rl P@rk

Default One more for the personal HOF

Pretty happy with this one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965 LuisTiant.jpg (78.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:24 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

Nice El Tiante!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

Default Whale Ho!

Finally after a long search: a nicely centered, tilt-free '52 Topps Mick to pair with the rookie! Thanks Sean1125 for an amazing deal. This is a keeper forever.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Nice cards all. MattyC - always solid eye on those pick ups. jb67 - that Aaron rookie is ridiculous. Very envious.

Mail today today - received a '53 Bowman color Eddie Mathews to (basically - that '52 Topps remains outside my budget; if anyone has one and is looking to deal, please let me know) complete my entire basic Mathews run. Always a favorite of mine and, in my opinion, an extremely overshadowed/undervalued player.

Would love to post my entire run at some point, if anyone would be interested.

On that subject, can anyone recommend a solid scanner for my collection? Nothing too fancy as I would probably just utilize for my cards. If I need to start a different thread, I can.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Matt

Yoss-- I got a very cheap Epson Perfection V300 (I think that's the model number). Ran me like $75 and works great.

And yes, you gotta post the Mathews run! I think he is almost tragically under appreciated, but the secret is kind of out on his 52T. I know lots of guys who want one of those centered. It's a real monster in that regard.

Congrats on the 53B. I don't know if there's one card in that set that's not beautiful. Whoever took and decided on what photos to use just killed it.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Bill Gregory

There are several good discussions on the forum about scanners, with members posting information about price, operating system, etc.

Here are a few:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=scanner
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1148653

I have been using a Canon Canoscan 8400F which I picked up off of eBay for about $45 total. It was used, but it has served me well for about a year and a half. You absolutely want a scanner with a CCD scanning element, which stands for charge-coupled device. Your average office scanner has a CIS element. Avoid those, because they're awful for scanning graded cards. The reason? The elements are unable to scan anything with depth. Obviously, a graded card is slabbed in plastic. A CCD element takes care of that problem. It also has a cold cathode fluorescent lamp, which is great for scanning highly reflective cards (no streaks). I think some of the second generation led lighting elements have gotten better about this. They use less energy, and the scanner is just faster. But I love the scans I get. I leave the scanner top up, and either scan with no backing (for some graded cards), or I use black or white construction paper as my backing. Sometimes, I use the back of a steno pad for cards needing a neutral background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
On that subject, can anyone recommend a solid scanner for my collection? Nothing too fancy as I would probably just utilize for my cards. If I need to start a different thread, I can.

Thanks

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default 52 Mantle RC

Holy Moly! Greg
Awesomeness...thats the version i been looking to get and about the grade area i been looking around. I would give a arm and a leg for that. You certainly had to be very proud when you finally opened the package and saw it for the first time in hand. When i got my (B var.) I was thrilled and overjoyed with excitement. It immedialtly went into my safe and eventally found the right spot for it. It is the most $$ i ever spent on a card or perhaps anything besides a car. How are you going to 'stash' the icon away? Keep in mind, i also dont show my collection or talk about but here, but i be more vigilant in letting people know i got one.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:37 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Congrats on the Mick Rookie! Presents much better than the grade.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:57 AM
J.O.N

Thanks to a board member I have another card toward my Roberto collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Low grade = inexpensive
Old 10-11-2014, 11:50 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Very nice looking 52 Mays for PSA 1. Congrats. Not sure why it is a PSA 1. How does the back look? You might be able to get a bump up of .5 grade or 1.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Matt

That may very well be the best 1.5 Mantle out there. Cannot envision a better combination of centering, lack of tilt, and with his face still being clean enough to appreciate.

eBay been berry berry good to me today...

The 59 Mick compared favorably to the centering of all the 6s I could see on VCP. Meanwhile I suspect the #250 Ted may be bump worthy. The 59 Sandy is the best centering I've seen in a long while of searching. There's something about that card that makes me smile. The Bench could 9 on a crack resub down the line, and I have always loved those AS Rookie trophy cards since I was a kid.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-11-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:37 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

MattyC,
Unless the 69 (PSA 8.5) Bench has some issue on the back that is a sure 9. I have an 8.5 and a 9 your card presents better than any 8.5 I have seen and better than a lot of 9's I have seen. That is a very nice score. Was that an Ebay purchase? The Ted Williams is another outstanding find for the grade. You never cease to amaze me with your ability to find under-graded cards.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Matt

Thx, my friend. They all popped up on ebay in the last 24 hrs or so; the Ted was an auction. The Bench was listed by BBCExchange; I called them to buy direct and they worked with me on price. Always perfect customer service there and reasonable prices, too.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Jerry

MattyC,

Nice pickups. I was going after that 54 Ted on ebay. Glad it went to you. Love the centering on it.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM
John €ffenheim

Default 1953 R.G. Dun Cigars Milwaukee Braves

I haven't looked lately, but as of 2008 these were the only two listed in the SCD.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Ad@m Be11

After watching his terrible announcing during the ALDS, I decided to pull the trigger on his card.

E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

That Brett is outstanding. No smudge marks and centered. That needs to find it's way into a 9 holder at minimum.

Thanks for the the kind words on the Mantle pick up. Can't wait to get it in hand and introduce him to the rest of the Mantle Family!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Matt

Word up on Brett. Never found a Reggie with centering I liked until this, except for 9s and I just can't spent 6k on this card. Hoping for a 7.5 on this one, but 8 would be ideal. Name is not well registered and in a big scan makes me feel drunk (not a bad thing) but the centering was far too exceptional to let that get in the way. In hand will be less of an issue as well.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:46 PM
$teve O.

Got an upgrade for my Furillo collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cf 001.jpg (70.9 KB, 220 views)
Old 10-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

That is such a great shot of the Reading Rifle. Nice card!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
Got an upgrade for my Furillo collection.
Nice '57 Furillo. If you upgraded from a nicely centered 80 I'm interested...
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM

MattyC and Bill - thanks for the comments/pointers on a suitable scanner. I will add one to my short list.

Speaking of which, now that I have completed my Eddie Mathews basic run, I am thinking of turning to that other criminally undervalued/non-appreciated teammate of his - Warren Spahn. Don't believe me? Check his career stats - yikes! I already have his '52 Topps, so the heaviest lifting is already behind me. Any other Spahn collectors out there? Any particularly difficult cards?

Greg - that '52 Mantle is awesome. Presents super fine for the grade. Well done, sir.

Those '76s (Eck and Brett) are both smoking. Interesting set with some oddly tough cards (Johnny Briggs comes to mind - supposedly one of the absolute hardest cards of the '70s. Anyone confirm? Anyone have in high grade?)
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Matt

I think his 48B has such flavor with the big schnoz profile.

And his high leg kick 50 and 51B are awesome baseball cards-- will get one of those one of these days.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Patrick N.

Default 65

Picked up this '65 Clemente as an upgrade for my collection. Always reassuring when you get the card in hand and it looks as good as the scan...which is why I prefer and will a little more when I buy cards in person....

Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 AM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Picked up this '65 Clemente as an upgrade for my collection. Always reassuring when you get the card in hand and it looks as good as the scan...which is why I prefer and will a little more when I buy cards in person....

http://<a href="http://s434.photobuc...[/IMG]</a>

Nice card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Thx, my friend. They all popped up on ebay in the last 24 hrs or so; the Ted was an auction. The Bench was listed by BBCExchange; I called them to buy direct and they worked with me on price. Always perfect customer service there and reasonable prices, too.
That's great. It's cool that BBC Exchange worked with ya on the price. I'm also not surprised. I've not had the pleasure of doing business with Steve yet, but I will be soon. I didn't know until a few weeks ago that he even dealt in individual cards. I stumbled across a 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson PSA 8.5, and I must have look at the card front for 30 minutes. I don't know if it sold or not, it was a real beauty. The left to right centering was about 45/55 from memory, and that was the only thing I could find that would warrant a sub 9 grade. The price was pretty good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
MattyC and Bill - thanks for the comments/pointers on a suitable scanner. I will add one to my short list.

Speaking of which, now that I have completed my Eddie Mathews basic run, I am thinking of turning to that other criminally undervalued/non-appreciated teammate of his - Warren Spahn. Don't believe me? Check his career stats - yikes! I already have his '52 Topps, so the heaviest lifting is already behind me. Any other Spahn collectors out there? Any particularly difficult cards?

Those '76s (Eck and Brett) are both smoking. Interesting set with some oddly tough cards (Johnny Briggs comes to mind - supposedly one of the absolute hardest cards of the '70s. Anyone confirm? Anyone have in high grade?)
You're welcome

I was born in Milwaukee, and lived in Waukesha until I was 18. I'm one of the biggest Milwaukee Braves/Brewers fans you'll find. Spahn is criminally undervalued in the hobby, imho. That's a good thing for now, as I haven't started buying his cards yet. If they could hold off for another year or so, it would be appreciated. Why that is, I don't know. I mean, look at his career stats. 363 wins and a career 3.09 ERA. That's spectacular, especially when you consider that he pitched in 750 games, starting 665 of them. He won only one Cy Young Award, even though he led the league in strikeouts four times, ERA three times, and wins a whopping eight times. He was a 20 game winner thirteen times! In 1963 at age 42, he won 23 games with a 2.60 ERA. Unfortunately, when the Cy Young Award came around in 1956, Spahn only had ten seasons left. And there was only one award for all of baseball until 1966, the year after he retired. Knowing that, and knowing, too, that he was 35 years old when the award was introduced, he finished in the Cy Young top 5 voting five times. He also finished in the MVP top 5 four times.

Have you uploaded your Mathews run yet? Did you go with strictly Topps cards, or did you include Bowman, too? I only have the one Eddie thus far, a nice mid grade '61 Topps.

Spahn spearheaded one hell of a rotation with Lew Burdette and Bob Buhl. That trio won 56 games in 1957 when we beat the Yankees for Milwaukee's only World Series win. The next season, we lost the Series. They really missed Buhl. He'd won 18 games in both 1956 and 1957 as our #3 starter, and in 1959 and 1960 he won 16 and 15. But he only started 11 games in 1958, going 5-2. I don't remember what happened. He didn't pitch in the post season, unfortunately. It was hard enough beating the Yankees. Losing a starter that would end up going 85-46 with a 3.07 ERA between 1955 and 1960. Without him, and a slight drop in power numbers from the season before (the Braves hit 199 home runs in 1957), we just couldn't drop them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post

That's a beautiful Clemente, Patrick! I'm reinstalling Windows on my desktop computer, and looking at you card on my 22 inch screen, which is a rare thing for me, as I'm usually in bed because of my back. Great pick up!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Bill - all trenchant points. Glad to know Spahn has some other collecting fans out there. Spahn's durability and longevity are simply unmatched in the modern era. That '57 team had an outstanding roster. Other than his early Bowmans and that '52 Topps, his cards are extremely reasonable. I will be uploading as I go. As usual, I will just be shooting for a mid-grade set.

Re: Mathews - I will get him uploaded once I actually purchase a scanner.
I did both his Topps (except the '52) and all his Bowmans (only 3 of those). The run ranges in grade from PSA 5-PSA 8 (later year cards). I think I paid the most for his '53 Bowman, which is fine - it is just about my favorite of the entire run.

I will definitely share when I get uploaded.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Word up on Brett. Never found a Reggie with centering I liked until this, except for 9s and I just can't spent 6k on this card. Hoping for a 7.5 on this one, but 8 would be ideal. Name is not well registered and in a big scan makes me feel drunk (not a bad thing) but the centering was far too exceptional to let that get in the way. In hand will be less of an issue as well.

Matty, that's a sweet jax RC. I don't collect high grade or slabbed but I got very lucky and pulled this from a collection I purchased from the original collector:

My scan doesn't look as good as the card. I'd call it ex-mt but pretty well centered for the issue. Not bad for a few bucks...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Matt

Adam, Reggies centered like that are quite uncommon. The 69s in general have a huge tilt problem. Great score. The deep color on yours is just outstanding.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

October has been a really strong month around here. Great picks ups all around.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Matt

Some nice low grades and the raw that popped now in slabs. Also, that raw Reggie came in the mail and is now at PSA. The color in hand was way better than the scan. Looks like a solid 7 with outside shot at a 7.5 or 8, depending on the luck.

This little 65 Mick PSA 3 is actually one of my favorite cards in my collection, alongside the PSA 2.5 53B. I found it raw at my local shop and the centering just blew me away. Love that card. I just can't find 65 Micks with that centering.

The Ricky is a real misgrade; should be am 8.5 or 9 but they killed it on that one glaring PD in the black. The corners are real sharp and centering's nice. Overall a nice card.

Sean laced me with the Yogi and Bob mad cheap so could not resist.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-18-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 AM
Bill Gregory

I just got these in, my first auction win from Brockelman & Luckey (hi Leon). Super fast delivery. Thanks to Scott and Leon both.

These are real beauties, and well centered. These are absolutely beautiful, imo.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Great pickup on those 53 Bowmans. I don't think I could tire of looking at any card in that set. Remarkable. Good job!
Drew
Old 10-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Matt

When 53B's are centered like that they are as beautiful to look at as any set ever made.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A trio of variations…

cards1018.jpg

1962 Babe green tint, a tough '69 white letter in vg and a particularly nice '71 Nashy blob.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:32 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Bill congrats on winning the 53 Bowmans. Very nice looking cards for the grades.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
When 53B's are centered like that they are as beautiful to look at as any set ever made.
Right on!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

After a long drought it seems, I am very, very, very, pleased to add a prized piece to my RC collection. It is not in great shape, but there are very few around. This is his 'true rookie' card.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Matt

Congrats; awesome piece. Don't see those in every collection, that's for sure. Really happy for you!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

img326.jpg

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
After a long drought it seems, I am very, very, very, pleased to add a prized piece to my RC collection. It is not in great shape, but there are very few around. This is his 'true rookie' card.

Chris what a way to end a drought! Congrats on the Dimaggio rookie.

Last edited by jb67; 10-20-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-19-2014, 11:44 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Very nice pick up Chris!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Finally picked up an iconic card from 1962.

photo image_zpsceb8c68c.jpg
Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Derek Granger

Default Zeenut DiMaggio

Nice "DeMaggio" (sic) Zeenut, Chris! I had my eye on that one to see how it would do at auction. Not a bad price for that card with no obnoxious creases and wioth such great registration.

Congrats!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Bi11..R0berts

This was the last card I needed for my basic '61 set. Two more remaining for the master set. Centering is a bit off from my normal tolerance, but I'm happy with this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '61 #290 Musial PSA 6.5.jpg (77.4 KB, 166 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

img328.jpg

Last edited by gregr2; 10-20-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Nice "DeMaggio" (sic) Zeenut, Chris! I had my eye on that one to see how it would do at auction. Not a bad price for that card with no obnoxious creases and wioth such great registration.

Congrats!
Thanks man, I guess Xmas came early for me, I was not totally sure if i would grab it. What kept me in was the pure fact H&S sold one last week (sgc10) for 3k (which i was a underbidder on)..so i relaized what price range i needed to be in, and i was right at it, knowing it reach 2k, another reason i had bumped it that afternoon. It wil be one of the key cards to my RC collection and a nice investment indeed.
Ian(our prewar board member) bumped the price a few times later on and had a good shot. I consider myself lucky. So today i bought lottery tickets (Mega Million and PowerBall) one for 110 mill and the other for 200 mill.

BTW @Gregr2: Nice 55 Ted, i been searching for a RC Koufax as well.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 10-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.