NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
BJ Cunningham

Default War and Baseball

Usually when I think of baseball in wartime, I think of the Civil War, or the end of WWII, like in the final scenes in HBOs Band of Brothers. Civil War has its Abner Doubledays and WWII had Ted Williams and Bob Feller, leaving teams to fight overseas. Cobb and Mathewson and Alexander and Branch Rickey get the marque billing in WWI, but there were quite a few other MLB players fighting, like HOFers Herb Pennock and George Sisler. Eddie Grant was a war hero. From the T206 cards, Gabby Street served as well. In any case, I had never really thought of WWI as a war where there was an easy downtime (ie, trench warfare) or easy access to equipment to actually play a game. (Though, I have seen some photos of a Navy vs Army pick up game in Rome.)

Picked this up this week as a reminder of those veterans. Nobody of note, I suspect, but looks like they had some equipment and the leisure time to spend outside. I think it was created in France, as the back reads, "Carte Postale". Please share if you have similar memorabilia.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Default Vandy in Guam WWII

Not WWI, but here is a photo of Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer and some of his other fellow navy mates/ teammates in Guam 1944.
Several of these players were ML baseball players including Joe Becker, Del Ennes, Red Quillen and Connie Ryan. Thanks again to fellow net54 member Clint, KSfarmboy for giving this to me a few months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vandameer.jpg (77.6 KB, 679 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
BJ Cunningham

Default Indeed, any war and baseball

Thanks Scott. To clarify, I was curious for any military and ballplayer type memorabilia, not necessarily WWI. Very nice photo.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Here is a book sent to soldiers and how about a gas mask game of baseball.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Chris Wood

Default Eddie Collins model YMCA bat - WWI from France

Picked this up from an ebayer in France. Not in the best condition...

Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Jonathan

Default WWI Era Baseball Goods

WWI military/baseball memorabilia is a major focus area of our collection and one of our longest standing collecting interests. We are vintage equipment enthusiasts and collecting gloves, bats, balls, etc., marked for use by American servicemen during WWI has been of the most enjoyable, educational, historical, and challenging of hobby pursuits.

Although we have items pertaining to baseball during WWII, we really try to focus on the very high grade, professional model equipment that was widely sent to France by the YMCA and K of C and used by troops in 1918.

Given that the vast majority of such items were in fact shipped overseas, picking them up now, 93 years after the fact is always exciting.

I am adding some images of our WWI era baseball goods and would be very much interested in seeing what everyone else out there might have. We are very much interested in buying/trading for YMCA marked bats, balls, and gloves.

1. YMCA postcard dated 1918 on the reverse.
2. 1917 Spalding ONL Ball with Box.
3. WWi era Alex Taylor glove, Spalding Ball, and Louisville Slugger bat marked w/ YMCA.
4. Circa 1918 Louisville Slugger Indoor Bat stamped with the YMCA logo.

Thanks for the opportunity to post and share this niche in our collection,

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YMCACard.jpg (31.9 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg YMCABall.jpg (31.2 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg YMCA_Collage.jpg (76.2 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg Playground2.jpg (31.7 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg Playground1.jpg (34.1 KB, 617 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Jonathan

Default WWI Era Baseball Goods

Over the years we have been fortunate enough to pick up several professional model, Louisville Slugger bats with significant endorsers that have been stamped with the YMCA logo. These bats are pro grade and were shipped right from the Louisville Slugger factory to the YMCA to the Lorraine sector of France in 1918. These YMCA stamped bats can be found with some of the most sought after endorsements to include Tris Speaker, Eddie Collins, Joe Jackson, and Nap Lajoie among others.

Here are a couple of our YMCA bats….the first is a 36” pro model 125 Tris Speaker, the second a 36” Jake Daubert, and the third is a pro model 125 with no endorsement at all. Although I don’t yet have images of it, we just acquired a Spalding Autograph model endorsed by Bennie Kauff that is also marked with the YMCA stamp…the first Spalding bat that we’ve ever seen marked in this way and most definitely WWI era given the model of bat and player endorsement.

www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tris_Speaker1.jpg (77.5 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg Tris Speaker 2.jpg (49.2 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg Daubert1.jpg (40.8 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg Daubert2.jpg (26.3 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg YMCA_Bat_1.jpg (34.1 KB, 604 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Jonathan

Default Baseball/Military Crossover Collectibles

Rounding out this portion of our collection is printed materials and photographic images of military ball teams dating back to the 19th century.

Attached are some Draper and Maynard sporting goods items that clearly support the WWI war effort, and image of a circa 1918 Reach “Liberty League” ball and glove, and two photos of ball teams from the 19th century…a USMC club and the 1893 US Military Academy team.

Additionally, here is one shot of some of our WWII related equipment and a recent war crossover collectible, a baseball signed by a unit from the 82nd Airborne Division that participated in the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liberty League.jpg (51.2 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg Uncle_Sam.jpg (39.8 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg USMC_pic.jpg (58.1 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg WestPoint.jpg (35.7 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg WWII collage.jpg (60.1 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg Iraq Ball.jpg (51.8 KB, 602 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Chris Counts

Here are a couple Reds from the late 1930s who did their part ... in two wars. When I picked up the snapshot of Ted Kleinhans, I was struck by the haunted look on his face and I immediately thought of a war veteran. I looked him up and discovered he was sergeant in WWI, was wounded in the trenches in France, where he no doubt witnessed many horrors, and learned to pitch in the Army. Yet he didn't start his pro career for another decade and he's 38 in this 1937 snapshot.

During WWII, Kleinhans was tasked with reducing food waste at military hospitals in Europe and pitched for Army teams as well. He came back to pitch one more year in the minors in 1946 (he was 47) before becoming the Syracuse University baseball coach for nearly two decades. What a life! "He was a superb gentleman, great leader, and an inspiration to anyone who was associated with him," said a doctor who served with him.

Hank Gowdy, meanwhile, is best known for leading the Miracle Braves victory in the 1914 World Series. He also saw heavy fighting in the trenches during WWI. “Every outfit ought to have somebody like Hank,” said Colonel B. W. Hough, commander of the 166th Infantry Regiment. “The boys idolize him and he gets them all stirred up with his baseball stories. He helps ‘em forget about the terror of war. He carried the flag and . . . he was one of them who heaved gas bombs at the enemy . . . he was fantastic!”

After being refused for battle in WWII, Gowdy became a physical education instuctor at Ft. Benning, where the baseball field today bears his name ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss37kleinhans.jpg (42.9 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg gowdyphoto.jpg (63.1 KB, 598 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Clint

Great stuff everyone. Can't pin down a specific year on this bat but it was definitely around the WW1 time frame. This is one of my favorite bats. Weighing a whopping 55oz and the only one like it I've seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized-UVWZV.jpg (11.1 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg Resized-QMCMS.jpg (12.7 KB, 601 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Archive

I picked up this photo at the 2010 National. A T206 player & military related, had to have it.

Shag Shaughnessy (on horse) with the Canadian Artillery

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 02-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Here is a Mel Ott and others signed Belgium note. The players/writer were on a USO tour during WW2, more specifically during the Battle of the Bulge. Purchased it from the son of the guy who originally obtained the signatures.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
$cotty @.utin

As a military guy, I love this thread

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Ben L

As a collector of vintage military items and baseball memorabilia I am enjoying this thread. Those WWI items are fantastic!

Here are a few items -

Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
ThreadKiller

Default WWII-era Program

August 21, 1943 benefit game to fund the purchase of sports equipment for US servicemen
living / fighting at offshore bases in the Pacific.

U.S. Service All-Stars (inc. Joe DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Ted Lyons, Red Ruffing and others)
vs team of players combined from the PCL Los Angeles Angels and Hollywood Stars rosters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWIIProgram030.jpg (62.8 KB, 513 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Matt

Default 1919 France....

Guys...........Here's a nice 5x7 I've had for years depicting the 'winning ball team. Cannes vs. Nice. July 16, 1919' as noted on the back in pencil.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay 052.jpg (73.2 KB, 494 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Jonathan

Great image..no doubt that these troopers were using some of that YMCA marked equip. that I posted on the first page of this spread...note the burnished finish on the bats and the full web gloves they've got on their hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daubert2.jpg (26.3 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg YMCA_Collage.jpg (76.2 KB, 489 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Default "Black Jack" Pershing Signed Ball

Here's an unique ball that was signed by General Pershing and given to John Evers. It is inscribed "Souvenir of an old general, young baseball amateur to his teacher, the champion John Evers".

Pershing Evers Baseball.jpg
Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Default Bob Feller in WWII

I know he was mentioned in the very first thread, but folks like Rapid Robert Feller gave some of their best years to the war effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1942 True Comics Bob Feller pages.jpg (77.3 KB, 482 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default WW II V Mail & Army Of Cuban Pacification

The hard to scan V Mail is from Zeke Bonura while in North Africa. The mounted photo is from Camp R.S. Mackenzie near Puerto Principe Cuba. The photographer's mark is not readable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vmail.jpg (65.4 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg vmail2.jpg (76.5 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (72.3 KB, 475 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Great items, everyone! I'm always fascinated by the military/baseball connection over the decades. Wars over the years affected the sport, slicing years off of many great players' careers. Likewise, baseball was a great diversion and pastime for those heroes who served overseas.

I was expecting to see Richard Simon's great letter from Capt. Hank Greenberg in this fine thread, but he must've missed it up to this point (I might have to shoot him a PM or post his letter myself ).
Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTBB View Post
Here's an unique ball that was signed by General Pershing and given to John Evers. It is inscribed "Souvenir of an old general, young baseball amateur to his teacher, the champion John Evers".

Attachment 56790
Awesome ball!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Richard Simon

CW did shoot me a PM, so here, once again, is my Hank Greenberg ALS, written during WWII. Read this letter, it is a great item and one of the favorites of my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenberg-als.jpg (67.6 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg greenberg-envel.jpg (59.1 KB, 493 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1919 Inter-Allied games

1919 Inter-Allied games....

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

"I am now stationed in China, helping to bring this war to a speedy, successful conclusion, so that when boys like yourself grow up, you can play baseball instead of going to war"

Wow. That is a really great letter and by far the best Hank Greenberg memorabilia I have ever seen on this board.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Dan Bretta

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Dan Bretta

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs in this one...1953 Elliott News Service Photo poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tedandjoe.jpg (62.6 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg tedandjoe2.jpg (64.2 KB, 486 views)
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
$cotty @.utin

This is my favorite thread, please post more. Have you wondered why organized unit sports were more prevalent in WW1 (meaning units in theater sponsored more championship games) while the sports/war connectin for WW2 is more about fundraising on the home front?

KJJAVIC has a beautiful unit football trophy from WW1, I'll see if I can get him to post a picture

Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Default three of a kind Ty, Eddie, and Matty - 1918

I think I may have posted these before.

Cobb 1918.jpg

Collins 1918.jpg

Mathewson 1918.jpg
Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Default WWI trophy

Here is a trophy I own that was awarded by the YMCA to a Stevedores baseball team, that was undefeated in an AEF baseball tournament in Paris in 1918.

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 02-14-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
JeR@Me

Default War & Ball...

BJ - You mentioned Gabby and the war, so I thought I would share this T206 that shows what year Gabby left ball and returned... (1918 - Army) - The reverse of the T206 reads left to right... (Some ole time collector seem to write Gabby's career from beginning to end starting with Hopkinsville, Ky. in 1903 and ending in St. Louis in 1938.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gabby-Hopkinsville-Nashville_0001.jpg (75.9 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Gabby-Hopkinsville-Nashville_0002.jpg (69.6 KB, 470 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 02-14-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 AM
BJ Cunningham

Default Gabby

Thanks Jeremy; there was a Heritage Auction in '08 that featured some WWI articles from Gabby Street:

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=710&lotNo=19691

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Mike Dugan

I don't have any photos but my Dad was with the Marines sitting in the bay as the Japanese surrendered on the Missouri, they went on shore immediately to gather arms.

I asked him how cooperative the people were and he said they were very helpful with no problems. He added that "They wore us out. Every time we would stop for a break they would pull out gloves and want us to play catch."
Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Cecil Travis Washington Senators shortstop suffered severe frostbite during the Battle of the Bulge that may have cost him HOF honors.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcunningham View Post
Thanks Jeremy; there was a Heritage Auction in '08 that featured some WWI articles from Gabby Street:

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=710&lotNo=19691

BJ - Thanks for sharing -
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 AM
ThreadKiller

Default WWI-era Score Counter

w/original envelope

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Military Scorer155.jpg (51.0 KB, 401 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Here are a new batch of service team BB uniforms that I just purchased.

I've posted Jack Phillip's Navy uniform and GU service balls used by Red Evans and Bob Feller before. Judging by some items I see posted here, I now know who is outbidding me on some of this WWII memorabilia!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valentine's day 2012 055.jpg (70.2 KB, 373 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
$cotty @.utin

That is amazing. Any engineer units in those jerseys?

Old 08-19-2023, 01:02 PM
Tim Odeen

reviving a dead thread. Please add more, I'm sure more items exist!

(Cross posted): I just found this among my father's items. He and my grandmother passed away close to two years ago. A photo album of my fathers time serving in Korea (June 1972 - June 1973) was among my grandmother's stuff; my aunt gave it to me a year ago but I never really looked at it. I don't know who the others are, but my father is kneeling bottom left. The gentleman in the middle is wearing a shirt that says Korea, 122 Signal Battalion, in which my father was an officer (ROTC Eastern WA University 1966 - 1970). I would love to find one of those flannels! The Bayonets. No writing on the back, sadly.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 08-21-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:19 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Not sure how I never saw this thread before. I've been collecting WWII baseball items for quite a few years.

Here are a couple of WWII-era baseball related original newspaper drawings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7812.jpg (196.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7981.jpg (186.4 KB, 277 views)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:09 PM

Earlier this summer I bought the attached WWI era RPPC. On the back is was printed "Carte Postal" and in pencil someone had written Dinard, France.

It did not take me long to find the location of this beach in Dinard, France (2nd image).

After finding this website (https://www.ghtbl.org/anderson/), I am fairly certain this photo is of Harry N. Anderson (at center, next to woman in black) and at least some of the 26th Infantry baseball team. Note the baseball equipment and gloves with the men squatting in the foreground. The 3rd image is copied from the website above. Very grainy but same location and even some light colored gloves...

"While in France, Anderson spent most of his time stationed in the province of Brittany at the coastal town of Dinard. It was a place of rest and relaxation for weary soldiers and sailors. Anderson arrived in Dinard during February of 1919, and he quickly became known for his continuous program of baseball games on the beach, boxing bouts, stunt nights, concerts and comedy routines promoted on the bulletin of the Grand Casino. Anderson mailed a game-used baseball back to Hartford from a contest won by the 26th Infantry 'Yankee Division.'"

Anderson founded the Hartford Twilight Baseball League, which is still in existence - when I found the Bristol Greeners logo (4th image), I thought it was too cool with the WWI tie in.

Was really hoping the couple at center of my original RPPC was somehow Ty Cobb and wife, but I think I've talked myself out of that possibility

If it is indeed Harry N. Anderson, the photo would date to 1919.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWI Dinard France.jpg (198.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Dinard.present.jpg (183.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 26thInfBaseball.jpg (194.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol.jpg (6.5 KB, 247 views)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:35 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Loved reading you alls posts so far!
Here is my contribution.

USS California and USS Birmingham baseball team RPPCS.

The California PC is really stunning in its quality. Ca.1916-1918 based on the stamp box. So very early into the ships life.

The Birmingham one reads:

Dear Walt this is the picture of the Birmingham team. Can you find me(?)
Bomb the Bay
-Splink?

Another super cool fact about this one-
The Birmingham became known for the first airplane takeoff from a ship in history in 1910, the same year as the postcard.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 08-21-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:42 AM
Jim

I have a few cool early military cabinets to add to the thread.

- 104th Co. vs. 119th Co. Base Ball Game April 2, 1910
- 114th Infantry Base Ball Team
- Base Ball Team Boys Bible Class YMCA Parklake July 8, 1893
- Base Ball Team With Flag in Background 1913
- Military Academy PMA
- Smithland Base Ball Team

JD
Old 08-25-2023, 07:02 PM
Chris Counts

Here are a few WWII snapshots from my collection, including a great shot of the ballpark on Guadalcanal, and another of a General Oscar Griswold throwing out the first pitch of a game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWII Guam ss.jpg (179.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg WW2.jpg (194.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Guadacanal.jpg (194.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 44 general griswold ss.jpg (143.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 09-09-2023, 01:17 AM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Here are a new batch of service team BB uniforms that I just purchased.

I've posted Jack Phillip's Navy uniform and GU service balls used by Red Evans and Bob Feller before. Judging by some items I see posted here, I now know who is outbidding me on some of this WWII memorabilia!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
It has been a number of years since this thread has seen movement. Do you still have these jerseys/uniforms?

Chevrons and Diamonds
Old 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Michael

Being a Greenberg collector I have to agree that is one of the finest letters of Hanks I have seen.....just amazing!