NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Quick RR question

Does RR use hidden reserves? I ask because an item that was in the February auction is back in the March auction. It had bids in February and no reserve specified, so I can only assume that they bid on their own auctions if the bids are too low, thus creating a hidden reserve.

Is that what's going on? I asked an RR employee about this and got an evasive response, so I thought I'd put it out there for the autograph guys here to respond to.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

In the past I have found RR pretty good actually, as opposed to say-Iconic. Possible winner did not pay.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
In the past I have found RR pretty good actually, as opposed to say-Iconic. Possible winner did not pay.
I love them and have bought loads of stuff from them over the last twenty years. But if an auction has a hidden reserve I want to know about it in advance. Many of their auctions clearly do not, as I've gotten great deals.

RR sends a 'curated list' via email that is tailored pretty much exactly to what I've bid on or tracked in the past. It's a great idea that other AH's should try. The problem with it is that when an item is being sold multiple times it is more exposed. And then when I do a search of past auctions and it is nowhere to be found, my assumption is that there was a hidden reserve the first time and that it is a waste of time to bid on it the second time around, as there certainly isn't a deal to be had.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:52 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Impossible to tell without knowing (You don't know without knowing ). Could be the winner didn't pay. Even if there was a reserve, that doesn't necessarilly mean there is one the second time.

In general, a consignment auction house wants all the stuff to sell. So I would think they're want as few of reserves as possible, preferably none. I assume they have them when they own the stuff or the consigner insists.

Last edited by drcy; 04-23-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Impossible to tell without knowing (You don't know without knowing ). Could be the winner didn't pay. Even if there was a reserve, that doesn't necessarilly mean there is one the second time.

In general, a consignment auction house wants all the stuff to sell. So I would think they're want as few of reserves as possible, preferably none. I assume they have them when they own the stuff or the consigner insists.
You gave me the same net amount of information that RR did when they responded to me

I hope you are doing well. Say 'Hi' to your Mom. Bailey says he sure would like to taste your wrist. I've been sick with a mysterious virus and am now almost completely well, but can't go out in public. I'll give you some plasma this Summer.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:22 PM
Mike Navarro

I can't speak to their current practices, but I used to consign a lot of stuff there including a complete Presidential run before.

On a couple occasions, we contractually agreed to a reserve. In practice, that did not mean that was going to be the starting bid price, so if thats what you mean by hidden reserves, I can 100% say with zero doubt, yes, they used to do that. If an item did not meet my reserve, it would not show in the completed results and would be returned to me per my request. Not sure about now as I pretty much just sell on my facebook site in my sig line and with the proliferation of the internet audience and facebook groups to sell in, I am able to put the commissions and premiums that I used to lose to the auction houses for the most part back into my own pocket. (Exceptions being non-routine items that I need a bigger market to move or that I don't really know the market value of)

Mike

Last edited by thenavarro; 04-23-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-23-2020, 09:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Mike. That lines up with what I've been seeing. If I had just gotten a straight-up response when I asked about it, all would be good. I'll still do business with them, as Bob is one of the best. But if you have a business practice that requires that your employees have to do a tap dance when asked about practices that are an integral part of your business, then you've got a problem.

The problem with our hobby is that no one seems to be squeaky clean. We're almost as bad as politicians.