NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Suggestion/Request for this board

Posted By: Joann

On the baseball cards side, one of the things that is constantly said by newbies and lurkers is that they learn so much from reading the board.

I don't know jack about memorabilia, but think it is cool as heck. Is there any way this board could have something like a weekly tutorial on some of the different types of memorabilia? What came when in terms of historical changes? What is valued by collectors for rarity, monetary value, historical vaue, etc? What makes it cool - to you and to the world?

Obviously, I think the equipment kind of comes to mind first. I know what a lemon peel ball is, but don't know the other kinds of baseballs from early days. And I have no clue at all what a ring bat is. Does that mean just that it has a ring of color about half way up?

After equipment there are all kinds of other things - tickets, advertising media, books, trophy/presentation pieces, heck - I probably am not intelligent enough here to name categories!

Anyways, as someone that is both fascinated and ignorant when it comes to memorabilia, I would just love to be able to learn from this forum. How cool to have a bats thread one week, books thread the next (or a few days later), and then gloves, etc etc etc. And maybe in a way that is more organized than the "pick it up as you go" on the baseball side, but also less structured than sites devoted to education (read: include why you love the pieces and post scan after scan!)

Just my thinking on it.

Joann

ETA "cards" to the first sentence, so it doesn't read "on the baseball side". Duh. We are all on the baseball side!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Harrell

Joann,

I think, for the most part, that's what you will see, although not necessarily organized. There's already a bunch of very nice bats shown and some nice old baseball photos. If you want some info about specific pieces of equipment, I'll bet this bunch won't be shy about posting.

John

Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I think Joann's got the right idea. She's talking about educative topics to try to get more lurkers involved, not just specific information for her. I would also enjoy learning more about some of the diverse areas of memorabilia.

Come on everybody. Don't be shy...start a new informative post about what you know!

Rob M.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

That is a very good idea. The topics are limitless, so someone would need to either request a topic or just start typing. I would also like to see a want list section added or a profile section where we can post our collecting interests for others to view. This could facilitate discussions regarding areas people would like information, help folks acquire new pieces (help each other out), and make interesting reading.

You are pointing out exactly why I went into memorabilia and away from cards. The diversity of options, lack of structured pricing, and lack of grading company involvement...ha ha.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it would be easier if someone posed a question, and then the experts in that field answered it in some detail. I feel I know books and early photography really well, but I know virtually nothing about equipment.

I also recommend getting as many back issues of VCBC as you can (Leon has a bunch of them on his site). That magazine had a greater focus on memorabilia than Old Cardboard, which is almost exclusively devoted to baseball cards.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Excellent suggestion !!!

The short version is that there is so much to what "memorabilia" can be such as

equipment (bats, balls, gloves, etc,...)
uniforms
autographs
programs
media guides
publications
ticket stubs
pennants
books
photographs
etc,.........................
the list goes on & on........

Alan

Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One thing is that a single subject, such as pins or tickets, can be the subject of an entire book(s). Baseball glove expert Joe Phillips has published books and has a quarterly newsletter-- all about store bought gloves. Not game used gloves, just store bought gloves. So one should not expect a subject to be covered in total in a thread. I get the newsletter and one thing I learned is there's such a thing as a forged store bought glove.