NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

The Dubs couldn't have gotten this close to the record without this thread.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The Dubs couldn't have gotten this close to the record without this thread.
Great layup, Frank.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 PM
John

Default Thank You

Dub Nation

An Historic Season and Magical Night.

Most wins in a NBA Season, 73-9.
Steph with 400 plus threes.

it's been a pleasure running this thread, thanks so much.

Frank, it's all yours now.
Enjoy the playoffs.

John

Last edited by talkinbaseball; 04-14-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am reluctant to dismiss what the Warriors have done the past two seasons with a "Back in my day..." hand wave. That isn't to say they are better than the great dynasties of NBA past, but they also have a superstar doing things no one else in the history of the game has ever done. The Warriors use the three-point shot like no other dynasty in the history of the league.

Curry is the first player ever to shoot 50% from the field, 40% on three pointers, 90% from the line and lead the league in scoring. Curry was the first player ever to hit 300 three pointers in league history, and be broke the 400 mark before any other player in the history of the league ever got to 300 three pointers in a season. I am old enough to remember prime Larry Bird and what a feared, deadly three-pointer shooter he was. In Bird's greatest three-point shooting season, he still made less than 25 percent of the three-pointers Curry made this season. Curry has made more three-pointers over the past two seasons than Larry Bird made in his entire career. That's how the game has evolved, and the Warriors take advantage of that better than anyone else.

The four greatest seasons in terms of three-point field goals made in a season are three seasons by Steph Curry and one by Klay Thompson. IMO, it is difficult to justify that the current Warriors team would not belong on the court with any of the great teams of the past when they are so proficient at perfecting the modern NBA game of an offense that exploits the three-point shot.

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-14-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Bill Gregory

Curry is phenomenal. Best pure outside shooter I can remember since Reggie Miller. Congratulations on winning 73! I'll be pulling for you guys in the playoffs.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
... Curry has made more three-pointers over the past two seasons than Larry Bird made in his entire career. That's how the game has evolved, and the Warriors take advantage of that better than anyone else.

The four greatest seasons in terms of three-point field goals made in a season are three seasons by Steph Curry and one by Klay Thompson. IMO, it is difficult to justify that the current Warriors team would not belong on the court with any of the great teams of the past when they are so proficient at perfecting the modern NBA game of an offense that exploits the three-point shot.
What an amazing season! And now the real fun begins.

Re- comments about how they play, and have taken advantage of the 3 (among other great things they do-- pass unselfishly, rebound, play strong D) like no other team before them... I've heard the suggestion that the NBA move the 3 point line out further to balance things out. Funny thing is, if they did so, it would probably just benefit the Warriors more. At one point this season, Steph was hitting over 60% of his shots from 28 feet or more, including half courters. I don't think Klay minds shooting from 30 feet either. Unreal.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Can you name without looking the major league baseball record for wins in a season?
I think I could, at least from 1900 on. I'd guess Ed Walsh, as I know he had 40. I think Jack Chesbro also had 40.

Pre 1800? I would have no idea. Pud Galvin?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Bill Gregory

73 wins is incredible, no matter how you cut it. But for this season to be truly "one for the ages", they need to carry that dominance over to the playoffs, and win it all. The '95-'96 Bulls that won 72 games only lost one game in the first three rounds of the playoffs, and went 15-3 overall in winning the NBA Championship.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I think I could, at least from 1900 on. I'd guess Ed Walsh, as I know he had 40. I think Jack Chesbro also had 40.

Pretty sure he's talking about team wins which are the Cubs and Mariners (think 116?).. Think been mentioned earlier in this thread too)

... But pitching yes, is Chesbro for post 1900, Old Hoss Radbourn has pre-1900 mark. I'm pretty sure I've seen Hoss's listed anywhere from 61 down to 58. Think it's officially 59 now. Old Hoss also liked to flip the bird whenever he got the shot. Seemed quite the character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Team wins.