NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey / Basketball / Tennis Cards Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,245
Default 9600 for a 6.5 West Rookie????

https://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball...Auction-120115
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM
BLongley's Avatar
BLongley BLongley is offline
Brian
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yeah! I saw that....crazy!! It's a nice 6.5, and great centering, but that's a bit crazy.

It seems some cards with amazing centering are going for record prices based on their assigned grade. In the same Heritage auction a PSA 8 61 Topps Mantle sold for over $4k and it was very well centered...but that's double what a 61 PSA 8 would normally sell for....

Last edited by BLongley; 07-21-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:13 AM
HasselhoffsCheeseburger's Avatar
HasselhoffsCheeseburger HasselhoffsCheeseburger is offline
Arthur
Al Fri.ch
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 421
Default

No, no, no, no, no, no. Don't start this in basketball yet. I need just a few more cards then this bananas malarkey can get started.

Arthur
__________________
"A lot of those guys don't seem to be having as much fun as they should be."

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2018, 10:19 AM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,271
Default

All vintage basketball tides seem to be rising in my mind, at least that's what my ebay watch list keeps showing me. Anything higher than a 7 and a star player is getting plenty of bids.

This shows it's trickling down. The mid-grade bigs like Wilt and Russell are ridiculous.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-24-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
All vintage basketball tides seem to be rising in my mind, at least that's what my ebay watch list keeps showing me. Anything higher than a 7 and a star player is getting plenty of bids.

This shows it's trickling down. The mid-grade bigs like Wilt and Russell are ridiculous.
I disagree on the significance of this. It sold for 10x. That's not a trickle down, it's an aberration.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1
Posts: 4,382
Default

again it 'sold' Did money change hands...was something up with this... will get it regraded....manipulate market on other cards etc....lots of other factors perhaps than just one normal regular guy paying that amount and planning on keeping it unchanged for the next 2-3 years..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
again it 'sold' Did money change hands...was something up with this... will get it regraded....manipulate market on other cards etc....lots of other factors perhaps than just one normal regular guy paying that amount and planning on keeping it unchanged for the next 2-3 years..
I don't think anyone would use an SGC 6.5 as a vehicle to manipulate the market. Either something is up or it's a card that guys thought they could alter favorably.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 PM
aro13 aro13 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Default West 9600

Quote:
Either something is up or it's a card that guys thought they could alter favorably.
Given the centering and colour I would vote for the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 PM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think anyone would use an SGC 6.5 as a vehicle to manipulate the market. Either something is up or it's a card that guys thought they could alter favorably.
I could see that train of thought of a crack out. That centering for a 61 is a damn good start.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2018, 02:35 PM
samosa4u's Avatar
samosa4u samosa4u is offline
Ran.jh D.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 405
Default

It's just amazing the way PSA has changed our tastes. For decades collectors mostly focused on corners, surfaces, edges, etc. and didn't even care about centering. Then PSA came along and started giving out OC qualifiers to cards. In other words, the company said "all these cards that you thought were good, aren't good." Collectors then started to pay a premium for better centered cards. However, over the past few years, it looks like they've gone crazy over this.
__________________
Always looking to buy or trade for vintage hockey, soccer, boxing and non-sports.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Anish's Avatar
Anish Anish is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
It's just amazing the way PSA has changed our tastes. For decades collectors mostly focused on corners, surfaces, edges, etc. and didn't even care about centering. Then PSA came along and started giving out OC qualifiers to cards. In other words, the company said "all these cards that you thought were good, aren't good." Collectors then started to pay a premium for better centered cards. However, over the past few years, it looks like they've gone crazy over this.
Umm...anyone looking at something contained within a frame is going to find it more attractive if it is framed properly rather than being cut off. What does that have to do with PSA?

Centering is the first thing I notice when I see a card and I imagine thats the same for anyone with normal visual processing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
Umm...anyone looking at something contained within a frame is going to find it more attractive if it is framed properly rather than being cut off. What does that have to do with PSA?

Centering is the first thing I notice when I see a card and I imagine thats the same for anyone with normal visual processing.
Historically Samosa is right, it was not all that important back in the day. Hell, as I posted elsewhere, early SGC barely paid attention to it. There certainly wasn't the fetish there is today.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
It's just amazing the way PSA has changed our tastes. For decades collectors mostly focused on corners, surfaces, edges, etc. and didn't even care about centering. Then PSA came along and started giving out OC qualifiers to cards. In other words, the company said "all these cards that you thought were good, aren't good." Collectors then started to pay a premium for better centered cards. However, over the past few years, it looks like they've gone crazy over this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Historically Samosa is right, it was not all that important back in the day. Hell, as I posted elsewhere, early SGC barely paid attention to it. There certainly wasn't the fetish there is today.
I agree, I even see it with commons I am trying to collect for my 52 Topps set.

My thought was, back when I first joined the site, that if cards like that came from the factory then they were good to go, but after a relatively short time on here, I quickly learned that centering is viewed as critically (almost) to creases and dinged corners to many.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.


ebay GSB