NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
And, don't forget, Mantle could sign his name so that you could read it.
Not arguing that, but when grown men are literally climbing over people (specifically kids) to get his autograph, I can see why there is a rush for him to sign a few and get out of there.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:51 PM

And you don't think that was happening with Mantle, too?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
And you don't think that was happening with Mantle, too?
No I don't. Was a different time then. I highly doubt autograph hounds were shoving kids around to get his autograph, so no.

I wasn't around in the 50's or 60's, but that's my opinion.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

I don't think that major league baseball players quit signing legibly because of volume. I think it has more to do with looking 'cool'.

David, please correct me or elaborate, but my understanding is that while Mantle's signature was always nice and legible, it changed a lot over the years as he tried to come up with something that had more flare to it. Perhaps 'cool' in Mantle's day still required readability, but it no longer does.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 PM

It did change a lot, but it was basically only the "Ms" that he played with. I agree with your idea of "coolness." (That, and the fact that kids aren't taught to write anymore. And very little of anything else, for that matter.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 09-11-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i don't think anyone associate "cool" with having a chicken scratch signature. they're just lazy and don't put in the effort.

felix hernandez has a "cool" auto:

Old 09-12-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
It did change a lot, but it was basically only the "Ms" that he played with. I agree with your idea of "coolness." (That, and the fact that kids aren't taught to write anymore. And very little of anything else, for that matter.)
I would add that the domination of the tech world (computers, tablets, smartphones) has eliminated the repetition of actually having to physically "write" anything.

I've often mused over how bad my own penmanship has become over time. I believe that the decay in quality is due to not actually "writing" anything anymore.

If you're a young athlete born in the computer age, to David's point, they probably have never been taught, or ever practiced, writing with good penmanship. Both of my kids are academically smart, but both share poor penmanship, IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-12-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i don't think anyone associate "cool" with having a chicken scratch signature. they're just lazy and don't put in the effort.

Quan,
I agree with you completely. King Felix has one of the cooler signatures of the younger baseball superstars.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I would add that the domination of the tech world (computers, tablets, smartphones) has eliminated the repetition of actually having to physically "write" anything.

I've often mused over how bad my own penmanship has become over time. I believe that the decay in quality is due to not actually "writing" anything anymore.

If you're a young athlete born in the computer age, to David's point, they probably have never been taught, or ever practiced, writing with good penmanship. Both of my kids are academically smart, but both share poor penmanship, IMHO.
You are right about penmanship, but there are (and always have been) people who could write very well, but who had illegible crap signatures.

But my guess would be that Derek Jeter can't write anything that's readable.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
You are right about penmanship, but there are (and always have been) people who could write very well, but who had illegible crap signatures.

But my guess would be that Derek Jeter can't write anything that's readable.
I think he could if the price was right!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I think he could if the price was right!
Mike,
We don't have that much money!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post

It is an interesting signature. I have a question about the card. What is the word under 'Gallery"? Is it supposed to be penmanship? It looks more like Pennian to me. If it is in fact penmanship the font is horrendous.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
He truly is a spectacle to watch. I'm sorry it's not pre-war, but having seen this kid play about 7+ games in person, he's the real deal. My generation's Mantle (no, I am not saying he's as good or ever will be as good as Mantle, but has VERY similar tools and playing style), and I am hoping he stays healthy and has a long successful career, he's a young exciting player with a hell of a future.

Got these Monday night at Target Field, believe he signed about 10 cards for me, and have about close to 50 in-person auto's of Trout now. I have to thank his uncle for living in MN and standing by him
Someone honestly tell me that both of those cards are going to be graded authentic. (Not saying they aren't, not saying they need to be authenticated.) They are totally different!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
It is an interesting signature. I have a question about the card. What is the word under 'Gallery"? Is it supposed to be penmanship? It looks more like Pennian to me. If it is in fact penmanship the font is horrendous.
That is the cleanest I have ever seen his signature

here is an in-person auto from 2.5 years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hernandez.jpg (91.4 KB, 209 views)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Default Claude Hendrix signed photo

I recently picked up this vintage signed photo of no-hit pitcher Claude Hendrix. Hendrix is another challenging name I have been looking for forever.
Note: The inscription and sig has been enhanced at some point along the way, but I'm still happy to own it due to its scarcity regardless...

Claude Hendrix made history on May 15, 1915 when he no-hit the Pittsburgh Rebels (Federal League) 5-0 while he was pitching for the Chicago Whales (Feds).

The photo is an early image of Hendrix when he was a pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Love the image!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Claude Hendrix signed photo 001.jpg (72.1 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-13-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Wow great pickup Scott. Where do you find those wonderful sigs? (Channeling my inner Joker)
Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

That's a fantastic pic, Scott!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I just picked up this autograph album. It belonged to a woman who ran the dining hall used by the U.S. team during the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne, Australia. Not only is it filled with about 75 signatures of U.S. athletes including several nice full page signatures with nothing on the back. The book itself is one of the nicest I have seen or owned. The cover is made of kid glove leather, still nice and soft with no cracks for over 55 years old.

1) Paul Anderson (1932-94), considered by many to be the strongest man that ever lived. Gold medalist in 1956 and also world champ that year. He went into powerlifting. He did a 3 rep squat of 900lbs and did a back lift off of trestles of 6,270 lbs. the greatest weight ever lifted by a human.

2) Jim Boyd (1930-97) - gold medal in boxing. Had a short pro career. The first one I have seen of his.

3) Jesse Owens - everyone knows about him. Very similar to the signature he was still signing when he died, but fancier than his signature in the 1930's.

4) James Smith - not a big name, but one of 6 Olympians born in my hometown. Five are still living, but he would be the toughest to find due to the common name.

5)
&
6) The gold medal baskeball team. Includes Hall of Famers Bill Russell, K.C. Jones and Bruce Drake. All of the signatures on the first page are legitimate. The second page includes at least 3 non-malicious 'signed by others' signatures. The Gib Ford on the second page is not his signature, 1st page is. I have a letter out to Ron Tomsic (2nd signature) asking if that is his writing. The Bob "Jeanjerard" is misspelled. His last name is Jeangerard, but pronounced like it is signed. The second Bill Evans is not his signature and is signed 'Bll'. The Jim Walsh signature is rarer than a vintage Bill Russell as he died in 1976. The second page also includes two of the three amatuer male double gold medalists in basketball Burdette Haldorson (1956 & 1960) and Bill Hougland (1952 & 1956) though I suspect the Hougland may be signed by another as his name appears to be misspelled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anderson.jpg (77.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg boyd.jpg (74.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg owens.jpg (90.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Smith, James M. (b. 1931) (1956).jpg (41.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg basketball 1.jpg (72.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg basketball 2.jpg (78.6 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by Michael B; 09-12-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Charlie

Quote:
Except playing video games and programing our electronic devices
I know I bother my son at least twice a week about my damn phone
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I just picked up this autograph album. It belonged to a woman who ran the dining hall used by the U.S. team during the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne, Australia. Not only is it filled with about 75 signatures of U.S. athletes including several nice full page signatures with nothing on the back. The book itself is one of the nicest I have seen or owned. The cover is made of kid glove leather, still nice and soft with no cracks for over 55 years old.

1) Paul Anderson (1932-94), considered by many to be the strongest man that ever lived. Gold medalist in 1956 and also world champ that year. He went into powerlifting. He did a 3 rep squat of 900lbs and did a back lift off of trestles of 6,270 lbs. the greatest weight ever lifted by a human.

2) Jim Boyd (1930-97) - gold medal in boxing. Had a short pro career. The first one I have seen of his.

3) Jesse Owens - everyone knows about him. Very similar to the signature he was still signing when he died, but fancier than his signature in the 1930's.

4) James Smith - not a big name, but one of 6 Olympians born in my hometown. Five are still living, but he would be the toughest to find due to the common name.

5)
&
6) The gold medal baskeball team. Includes Hall of Famers Bill Russell, K.C. Jones and Bruce Drake. All of the signatures on the first page are legitimate. The second page includes at least 3 non-malicious 'signed by others' signatures. The Gib Ford on the second page is not his signature, 1st page is. I have a letter out to Ron Tomsic (2nd signature) asking if that is his writing. The Bob "Jeanjerard" is misspelled. His last name is Jeangerard, but pronounced like it is signed. The second Bill Evans is not his signature and is signed 'Bll'. The Jim Walsh signature is rarer than a vintage Bill Russell as he died in 1976. The second page also includes two of the three amatuer male double gold medalists in basketball Burdette Haldorson (1956 & 1960) and Bill Hougland (1952 & 1956) though I suspect the Hougland may be signed by another as his name appears to be misspelled.
Michael,
I agree with you that this is quite an exceptional autograph album. Wow!
The Jesse Owens sig is beautiful. The poem by the boxer is a classic.
Congrats on your pickup.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Wow great pickup Scott. Where do you find those wonderful sigs? (Channeling my inner Joker)
Thanks Mark! I suppose tenacious networking and good timing are allowing me to have a great 2013 for finding rare early no-hit pitcher sigs.

It's funny though, but when it rains it definitely pours. It's very unusual for me to find 3 exceptionally hard names off of my list in such short order. I haven't even chosen to share my most amazing find of the year thanks to this year's National...
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
That's a fantastic pic, Scott!
Thanks Ken!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:30 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Thanks Mark! I suppose tenacious networking and good timing are allowing me to have a great 2013 for finding rare early no-hit pitcher sigs.

It's funny though, but when it rains it definitely pours. It's very unusual for me to find 3 exceptionally hard names off of my list in such short order. I haven't even chosen to share my most amazing find of the year thanks to this year's National...
Great pickup Scott. Well?...are you gonna leave us hanging? What's the amazing pickup from the National? C'mon, you can tell us!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Great pickup Scott. Well?...are you gonna leave us hanging? What's the amazing pickup from the National? C'mon, you can tell us!
Well Mike, since you asked...

At the National I picked up a true Holy Grail item for my collection.
The only known example of no-hit pitcher George W. Bradley's signature.

"Grin" Bradley is credited with throwing the first ever National League (and ML) no-hitter in 1867. It's important to note that Bradley threw the no-hitter from the initial mound distance of 50', not the current standard of 60' 6" that was adopted in 1893.

Bradley also is credited with being the 1st pitcher in either the NL or AL (established in 1901) to throw a shutout. Bradley's 1876 season was also special for the fact that he actually threw 16 shutouts, which is a ML record that he still shares with HOF'er Grover Cleveland Alexander. Bradley pitched approximately 65 times in 1876 and actually won 45 of those games, leading the NL with an ERA of about 1.23.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geo W Bradley 001.jpg (56.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Geo W Bradley picture 001.jpg (69.9 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-14-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Holy guacamole Batman, that's incredible!!! Is that Bradley from a letter, or legal document? Were you actually looking for it, or did you just happen to see it and freak out?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Holy guacamole Batman, that's incredible!!! Is that Bradley from a letter, or legal document? Were you actually looking for it, or did you just happen to see it and freak out?
Mike,
Thanks! It's from an entire letter. Provenance is exceptional.

BTW, the person that sold it to me knows exactly what I collect and asked that stop by to see him at the National.

It's truly an amazing piece that's absolutely right up my alley!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Mike,
Thanks! It's from an entire letter. Provenance is exceptional.

BTW, the person that sold it to me knows exactly what I collect and asked that stop by to see him at the National.

It's truly an amazing piece that's absolutely right up my alley!
Wow, really amazing. According to B-R.com, he actually had 16 shutouts in 1876. The year of the Centennial of the US...hard to fathom that.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Wow, really amazing. According to B-R.com, he actually had 16 shutouts in 1876. The year of the Centennial of the US...hard to fathom that.
Mark, thanks for correcting me on how many shutouts Bradley had in 1876. I made the change in my 1st post.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Someone honestly tell me that both of those cards are going to be graded authentic. (Not saying they aren't, not saying they need to be authenticated.) They are totally different!
They most likely wouldn't pass any authentication, but I don't care, I witnessed them being signed in front of my eyes and didn't plan on selling them, but yes, way different.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Well Mike, since you asked...

At the National I picked up a true Holy Grail item for my collection.
The only known example of no-hit pitcher George W. Bradley's signature.

"Grin" Bradley is credited with throwing the first ever National League no-hitter in 1867. It's important to note that Bradley threw the no-hitter from the initial mound distance of 50', not the current standard of 60' 6" that was adopted in 1893.

Bradley also is credited with being the 1st pitcher in either the NL or AL (established in 1901) to throw a shutout. Bradley's 1876 season was also special for the fact that he actually threw 16 shutouts, which is a ML record that he still shares with HOF'er Grover Cleveland Alexander. Bradley pitched approximately 65 times in 1876 and actually won 45 of those games, leading the NL with an ERA of about 1.23.
That's great - congratulations.

Do you have a publicly-viewable list of your no-hitter autographs? or better still, pics?

Last edited by Runscott; 09-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
That's great - congratulations.

Do you have a publicly-viewable list of your no-hitter autographs? or better still, pics?
Thanks Scott! Not at this time on either.
This is one of several larger projects I would like to tackle at some point...
Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Thanks Scott! Not at this time on either.
This is one of several larger projects I would like to tackle at some point...
After seeing your last two pick-ups, I figured there must be some real eye-openers in your collection. I'm not an autograph collector, but there are a few I keep my eyes open for.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Scott,
WOW. It really has been a banner year so far. Awesome stuff.
I'm with Scott. Hopefully you get a site posted to show all these beauties off.
Congrats on all of them.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Mike Navarro

Added this one to my Presidential collection today. A signed check from the 6th President of the United States, John Quincy Adams.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Signed twice, no less!
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Added this one to my Presidential collection today. A signed check from the 6th President of the United States, John Quincy Adams.

Great check, Mike!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Sean Brennan

Finally got the majority of my custom dawn of the dead set autographed. 20130914_203745.jpg

20130914_203731.jpg
Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Giovanni N.

1951 Willie Mays Bowman Rookie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (78.1 KB, 289 views)
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post
Scott, the layout looks good but (IMO) you are going to be alittle challenged to get those end panels to lay nice and flat. I have a couple of panel "cuts" I purchased and those darn things just will not flatten nicely so as to display through a postcard size top-loader. Perhaps framing with glass would do the trick. Best of luck to you. Lood forward to seeing your end result.
Got the '56 Yankees ball yesterday and unfortunately, I think Vincent is right - the leather isn't going to lay flat without some work, and there's no way I'm taking chances on messing up the Mantle/Berra panel.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Take it to a shoemaker and show him your planes. You might be surprised.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Okay Shelly, but if he makes it into a shoe I am going to be pissed.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Found a Mays autograph I can actually read, plus Stengel when he was managing the Yankees and an early Hoppe.

I like that Stengel and Hoppe each added dates. My best guess on the Mays is 1952. Thoughts?

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Mike Navarro

That's a cool looking Mays.

Here's one I picked up tonight.

A signed gift tag from Prince Charles and Princess Diana

Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM

And I won these two:

Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

cool, David.

There was such a smorgasbord of autographs tonight - I had a hard time passing up some of them (Helen Keller, Amelia Earhart, great boxers, various Presidents) - but I'm happy with the few I got.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
cool, David.

There was such a smorgasbord of autographs tonight - I had a hard time passing up some of them (Helen Keller, Amelia Earhart, great boxers, various Presidents) - but I'm happy with the few I got.
I was on them too.. Great collection. I forgot it ended tonight. Great pickups at great prices!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Kenny

Picked up this letter to Zach Wheat and letter back to the fan with envelope. Thanks James Graham.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheat letter steen back.jpg (73.5 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg wheat letter steen.jpg (71.2 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg wheat letter steen envelope.jpg (74.5 KB, 248 views)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 AM
M@tt Schw@de

This is somewhat of a fantasy piece for me, glad to add it to my collection! Huge Yankees fan, grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. The reason I am a Yankees fan though is my grandma, who loved The Mick! I'll get this framed and matted and have it hanging in my Yankees den so it will always remind me of my grandma and I!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
This is somewhat of a fantasy piece for me, glad to add it to my collection! Huge Yankees fan, grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. The reason I am a Yankees fan though is my grandma, who loved The Mick! I'll get this framed and matted and have it hanging in my Yankees den so it will always remind me of my grandma and I!

You should get the matting thick enough to cover that sticker... make the piece look better

great piece though!!!

Last edited by isaac2004; 09-20-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Not vintage, but I just picked up a signed 1969 topps Joe Niekro for my 69 Cubs project. It's a fun project that I work on when other projects come to a halt. This will be one of the first projects that I'll mat that will include some baseballs as well as cards, cuts and one of my favorite pictures of Ron Santo with the black cat going across the field.