NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Lou Gehrig ball on Ebay

Is this the same seller that several people have complained about on other autographs? The Ebay # is 381511964142. This signature is a joke....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-16-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Here's the link for everyone:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/381511964142

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2016, 07:26 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

How is this guy getting these COA's? Some of these autographs look like Stevie Wonder signed them....
Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
How is this guy getting these COA's? Some of these autographs look like Stevie Wonder signed them....

I def noticed that as well on a few...

Old 01-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Why I will never buy an autograph. Particularly off eBay. Way too much fraud.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Why I will never buy an autograph. Particularly off eBay. Way too much fraud.

Sucks because that's my medium, but I'd be lying if I never thought of getting an auto again...

Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Is this the same seller that several people have complained about on other autographs? The Ebay # is 381511964142. This signature is a joke....Who is this seller?? How are these balls getting COA's?

Comes with full LOA from JSA with no clubhouse, removals or trace overs.

This autograph is guaranteed authentic and has been certified by JSA, the authority on autograph authentication.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:36 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

This autograph is guaranteed authentic and has been certified by JSA, the authority on autograph authentication.
Peter, I know that. Having said that, do you think this autograph is legit?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, I know that. Having said that, do you think this autograph is legit?
Well beyond my expertise. Why do you think it isn't?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

delete..

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-17-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:34 PM

The Gehrig signature is perfectly fine.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The Gehrig signature is perfectly fine.
David, You have seen Gehrig sigs like this?
Old 01-16-2016, 10:23 PM

Absolutely. It's a late career signature.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:28 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Are you joking or what? Look at this guys listings on Ebay. He has Jimmie Foxx and Ty Cobb balls that look like a second grader signed them. Do you mind sending me a copy of a late career Gehrig that looks badly like this? thanks...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-16-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Please give me your opinion on this joke of a ball. JSAY37206, this is the authentication number, Jimmie Foxx ball that this guy has on Ebay right now, absolutely ridiculous....Ebay number is 381256028101, this ball is almost comical..."Jimmy Foxx"? Absolutely unbelievable, and I'm really surprised that more people have not commented on it...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-17-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm far from an autograph expert but it seems you have a strong opinion about the Gehrig and Foxx balls. I looked up the listings. Do you mind sharing what gives them away as obvious fakes?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:58 AM

What does that mean, "with no clubhouse?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Are you joking or what? Look at this guys listings on Ebay. He has Jimmie Foxx and Ty Cobb balls that look like a second grader signed them. Do you mind sending me a copy of a late career Gehrig that looks badly like this? thanks...
No, I'm not joking. The Gehrig is good. But, as I've got no dog in this fight, I really don't care what you think of the signature, or what you think of my opinion of the signature, for that matter. But let me give you a little tip. If you really want someone to help you out by providing exemplars, don't get nasty first.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 AM
Brock

I'm not a expert, but that Foxx looks like all other Foxx autos that I have seen. Not sure were you get it looks like a second grader wrote it.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:20 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I will say one thing, it's hard not to believe that Jimmie Foxx hasn't been heavily traced over.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Brock

Never mind I was looking at another foxx ball.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
No, I'm not joking. The Gehrig is good. But, as I've got no dog in this fight, I really don't care what you think of the signature, or what you think of my opinion of the signature, for that matter. But let me give you a little tip. If you really want someone to help you out by providing exemplars, don't get nasty first.
I did not mean to be nasty with you. My point was only that some of these autographs are a joke, and how in the Hell did they get COA's? I know you know autographs and I asked you about the Gehrig ball because I have never seen it with this much difference. The Foxx ball is a joke, and yes, it has the worthless COA...What's your opinion on that ball? Second time I've asked it. There is no way in Hell PSA certified this piece of garbage. If they did, where there's smoke there's normally fire and a lot of questions need to be answered....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-17-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Do you mean the 1920s Foxx ball? I don't like it. But I am not knowledgable at all regarding Foxx's signature.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:37 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

David- Do you mean to tell me that you're not sure of this autograph? Come on, I don't buy that at all. You know the hobby. Why are people hiding from this guy and James Spence's bullshit? Even if you didn't know Foxx's sig, look at the boldness of the ink of the signatures. It looks like it was signed yesterday with a black sharpie. Also, Jimmy, not Jimmie? The members on this board need to know when they can get constructive help pertaining the hobby...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-17-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 PM

What do you want me to say? I don't like it. At all. But I don't know Foxx. (I like to think that when I offer my opinion, it's an educated opinion. I'm not educated about Foxx.)

You think I'm "protecting" JSA and PSA? Then you don't know me at all. I've been against TPAs from the get go. And I find their "expertise" laughable.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
What do you want me to say? I don't like it. At all. But I don't know Foxx. (I like to think that when I offer my opinion, it's an educated opinion. I'm not educated about Foxx.)

You think I'm "protecting" JSA and PSA? Then you don't know me at all. I've been against TPAs from the get go. And I find their "expertise" laughable.
David... No, I didn't mean you at all. But whoever this seller is has some super strong connections, or so it would seem. I was only hoping that more people would come forward and speak up about some of these bullshit autographs..
Old 01-17-2016, 06:56 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I'm not sure how the Foxx ball dates to the 1920's. Bob Johnson's career didn't start until 1933. Assuming this was signed while they were teammates, it would date to 1933-1935.

Tom C
Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm only chiming in because a board member asked me about this, and because this is exactly the kind of thread that I think we need to see more of in this sub-forum - we're talking about vintage autographs and we've got people participating who have expertise.

...but I'm not one of them But I can say that a very similar situation came up for me when I was looking for a Gehrig autograph. I asked David A about it, thinking it was an absurdly ugly Gehrig, and David educated me on the fact that Gehrig's autographs changed over time and that there were idiosyncrasies with Gehrig's autograph within a time period as well, depending on various factors. I had complete faith in David's assessment at that time, and no reason to change my thinking now.

So, with Gehrig there are some ugly ones that are real. On the other hand, there are plenty of Gehrig autographs out there that are obviously real - beautiful signatures in ink - so there's no reason to consider one that you aren't very confident in.

I never did buy a Gehrig, because I never felt personally confident enough in my own ability to authenticate them. I still feel that when it comes to high-end autographs, if you aren't willing to do the research and learn enough to feel more confident in your own opinion than in JSA's or PSA's, then you should keep your money in your pocket.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm only chiming in because a board member asked me about this, and because this is exactly the kind of thread that I think we need to see more of in this sub-forum - we're talking about vintage autographs and we've got people participating who have expertise.

...but I'm not one of them But I can say that a very similar situation came up for me when I was looking for a Gehrig autograph. I asked David A about it, thinking it was an absurdly ugly Gehrig, and David educated me on the fact that Gehrig's autographs changed over time and that there were idiosyncrasies with Gehrig's autograph within a time period as well, depending on various factors. I had complete faith in David's assessment at that time, and no reason to change my thinking now.

So, with Gehrig there are some ugly ones that are real. On the other hand, there are plenty of Gehrig autographs out there that are obviously real - beautiful signatures in ink - so there's no reason to consider one that you aren't very confident in.

I never did buy a Gehrig, because I never felt personally confident enough in my own ability to authenticate them. I still feel that when it comes to high-end autographs, if you aren't willing to do the research and learn enough to feel more confident in your own opinion than in JSA's or PSA's, then you should keep your money in your pocket.
Scott- Great input, thanks for your opinion and experience...
Old 01-17-2016, 07:02 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I'm not sure how the Foxx ball dates to the 1920's. Bob Johnson's career didn't start until 1933. Assuming this was signed while they were teammates, it would date to 1933-1935.

Tom C
Thanks Tom, you are exactly right..
Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott- Great input, thanks for your opinion and experience...
Thanks Kevin - there is also some contextual research you can do on the Gehrig ball. You've got autographs of Combs, McCarthy, etc., that you can compare to exemplars. If the others are real, you would expect the sweet spot autograph to be real;i.e-why would a ball be filled up with real autographs, and have the sweet spot left empty (a forger taking advantage of the situation years later to add a Gehrig)?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:13 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Thanks Tom, you are exactly right..
I have seen a few Foxx signatures where he curved the end of the "e" in a downward fashion where there is some slight similarity with a "y", but this to me is clearly a "y".

No way I would touch this ball with a ten foot pole.

Tom C
Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I guess this thread will just die but I hope it at least raises people's awareness to this. These autographs are just ridiculous but I guess he'll just keep laughing all the way to the bank... I still want to know, HOW AND WHY did these get COA's???

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-17-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedski_TX View Post
What does that mean, "with no clubhouse?"
They are claiming the ball has no clubhouse signatures. Clubhouse sigs are not from the players themselves, rather an employee of the ballclub like a trainer or bat boy who mimics the actual player's signature.