NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Should Alabama Be Disqualified from the CFP .......

.....for scheduling a game with Mercer (???) in week 12? C’mon man.

Will an 83-0 win by the Tide impress anyone?

Years ago when schedules were lengthened to include more out of conference games, one could make a case perhaps for starting the season with a couple of cream puffs to fine tune the offense or defense and look at some of the younger players in live game situations, but scheduling Mercer in week 12 is indefensible.

I realize that schedules are completed years in advance, but I’m not aware of any predictions in the last decade suggesting that Mercer would be a ranked team in 2017.

I also do not understand why anyone in their right mind would want to attend such a game. Even the frat boys who celebrate each touchdown with a round of beer will either be gone or unconscious by halftime.

I would like to congratulate all the Alabama fans on their victory today before the opening kickoff. Roll Tide.

I also realize that Appalachian State beat Michigan in one of these mismatch games a few years ago, but then again it was only Michigan. Right Peter.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-18-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Totally agree!
Just like Clemson playing Citadel as well!!!!
These teams could play teams like Ga Southern, South Alabama, Troy etc.
that ARE in the division.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

The thinking is that with all the tough games at the end of the extended season, especially for Alabama which counts on going all the way to the championship game, a game like Mercer allows for fine-tuning and rest of some players.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The thinking is that with all the tough games at the end of the extended season, especially for Alabama which counts on going all the way to the championship game, a game like Mercer allows for fine-tuning and rest of some players.
Tough $#%!.

These big schools have ZERO cojones. They schedule games like this in week 12, and refuse to play smaller schools away from the comforts of their own stadium. Ridiculous. There needs to be penalties for crap like this.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 11-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

56-0

Tide only needs 27 more in the last 11 minutes.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:46 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

In defence of scheduling cupcakes, I think there are a limited number of good teams you pick from, plus the schedules are often make a number of years ahead and a particular year may have been solid at the time. Whether or not they are horrid now, teams such as Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are actually ranked and go to bowls once in while.

Last edited by drcy; 11-18-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
In defence of scheduling cupcakes, I think there are a limited number of good teams you pick from, plus the schedules are often make a number of years ahead and a particular year may have been solid at the time. Whether or not they are horrid now, teams such as Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are actually ranked and go to bowls once in while.
Alabama couldn't do better Mercer. C'mon man.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Why not play these "cupcakes" away from their home stadium? Home/Away is affected by being scheduled out 3-4 years in advance.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 11-18-2017, 01:23 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Catalogue it as a defence in cases, not an umbrella defence.

I think Mercer has a good basketball team sometimes. Of course, so does Marquette and I don't think they have a football team.

I'm a Wisconsin Badgers fan and and miffed they schedule patsies such as Michigan and Iowa

Last edited by drcy; 11-18-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Nick Barnes

The little schools come begging for this as they might make more $$$ in one game against a powerhouse than they will the entire rest of the season combined.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
The little schools come begging for this as they might make more $$$ in one game against a powerhouse than they will the entire rest of the season combined.
This is what I was going to say. It is a big boon to the small school, and they couldn't do this at the home of the small school, they probably don't have the resources to host a game like this. My college's football stadium wasn't much different than my high school's.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 11-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yep, that's what it really is, a nice "present" to the smaller school. Both to the program financially, and in some ways to the players. The players from the small school get to maybe play against some really top talent, and that's usually a cool experience.

I think a certain number of games like that should be required for all the upper division schools.

Dad didn't play football, but ran track. He qualified for a major meet that included some world class runners. In at least some of the heats the barely qualifying runners raced against the world class runners. Except there was a handicap for the better runners. He said it was amazing, and he ran his best time trying to not get overtaken despite the handicap.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:57 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Bama plays in SEC and plays the SEC championship..

every team guns for them and gives them their best.....playing mercer is fine given their whole schedule..
Old 11-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Final Score (and nobody cares):

Florida State 77
Delaware State 6

(if their quarterback had not gotten hurt against Alabama and the team had stayed in contention throughout the season, just imagine how many folks would care about THIS cupcake game.)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-18-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: puncuation error
Old 11-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Yes, multiple reasons for playing these games, and no reason not to other than non-Alabama fan anger.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Todd Schultz

never mind
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-19-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Yes, multiple reasons for playing these games, and no reason not to other than non-Alabama fan anger.
Alabama was just an example this week. Non-competitive games to fill the coffers of small schools can legitimately be challenged regardless of the participants and all the big schools participate in this endeavor. I like competitive college football, but watching a game that is 63-0 in the third quarter just doesn't turn me on.

So I love college football, but according to Runscott I hate Alabama and all the other teams that play in these games, which includes all the top 25 Division ! schools and more.

Therefore, I love college football and I hate all the teams that play it.

Boy am I a weird dude?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Not a big issue. It used to be that cupcakes were player during the first two weeks of a season. Several schools are now scheduling them toward the end to rest players. I think it's smart and not a big deal. Alabama's current strength of schedule is 22 and will raise once they play Auburn and in the SEC Title game.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Alabama was just an example this week. Non-competitive games to fill the coffers of small schools can legitimately be challenged regardless of the participants and all the big schools participate in this endeavor. I like competitive college football, but watching a game that is 63-0 in the third quarter just doesn't turn me on.

So I love college football, but according to Runscott I hate Alabama and all the other teams that play in these games, which includes all the top 25 Division ! schools and more.

Therefore, I love college football and I hate all the teams that play it.

Boy am I a weird dude?
Your straw man logic is certainly weird, but par for the internet.

I agree with your second sentence; however, you used Alabama as your example and that's what I responded to. A final-4 contender scheduling a cupcake right before the tough stretch at the end of the season is very different from a non-contender scheduling cupcakes at the beginning of the season. Also, scheduling such games at the beginning of the season can hurt a team's rankings, as I'm sure you know.

I understand the appeal of using a straw man when someone disagrees with you, but I probably agree with your thoughts on how teams use these games early in the season. If you want more back-patting, express your outrage over teams like Wisconsin complaining about being undefeated and ranked fifth, while scheduling cupcake games early in their schedule.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Frank, I wanted to add that I would probably be considered an 'Alabama hater' - I root against them every game, even when it would help my own team out. I can't help it. I also hate the weeks when there is no good football to watch because of all the cupcake games. I really wish they wouldn't schedule such games.

As a college student, I hated the home games where we played these terrible teams; however, our school tradition dictated that we kiss our date after each score, so it all worked out.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Express your outrage over teams like Wisconsin complaining about being undefeated and ranked fifth, while scheduling cupcake games early in their schedule.

Wisconsin is definitely known for cupcakes but Florida Atlantic is a decent team and who could have known that BYU would be so terrible? Regardless, they are on the outside looking in right now.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 PM
bobby

Default Bama

They opened the season as they have for the past 7 years . against FS it was at the time the game of the year. winner is in. Bama opens every year against a top ranked team out of conference. most of the SEC does.
just for a discussion the SEC is down this year. do you really believe that any other team in the country could play a SEC schedule and go undefeated?.
injuries are the reason every team has some cup cake games.
Either way I love collage football. it will work out. ROLE TIDE ROLE.
Don't hate the teams love the games that you are about to watch for the remainder of the season. I hope your team wins as long as they don't play BAMA.

Last edited by minibatsman; 11-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I would certainly put Wisconsin in the same basket with Alabama, Ohio State and all the other big schools that have cupcakes. A few years back Wisconsin played mighty Wofford. These games are really a scrimmage rather than a contest.

A few coaches however seem more obsessed than others and exhibit this tendency in the cupcake games when they seem to feel they will be considered more favorably if the winning margin is 80 rather than 60. Urban and Nick come to mind, but there are others.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 AM
bobby

Default 2nd string

I cant argue the 60 point games against whoever. its a big deal for these small programs financially and for the players to play in these games. and as I said larger teams need these games. also To heal up and tune up for lets say the IRON BOWL but when the second and third string get a chance to play . there going to do as much as they can. if it wasn't for these leads they wouldn't play a single down the entire year. 30 of the 60 points were from the second string.
I think this is how big programs build years of success instead of like AUBURNs one and done seasons. WAR EAGLE.

last weekend there was some good games. Miami was a good one . there is like 50 games change the channel.

Last edited by minibatsman; 11-22-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:54 PM

I sure wouldn't want to be on that committee now...

that both #1 and #2 have lost...

and they almost have to have a 2-loss team ( Auburn) in the top 4...assuming they beat 10-1 Georgia again next week in the SEC championship.

or does UCF have a chance, since they, along with Wisconsin are the only unbeaten teams left?

If Ohio State, another 2-loss team, beats Wisconsin in their championship game....do they get in?

Assuming Clemson wins tonight, they would likely become #1 with Oklahoma #2.

How far do 11-1 Alabama and 10-1 Miami drop?

What a nightmare!

Isn't it a great thing that we now have the playoffs to straighten every thing out? LOL

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I sure wouldn't want to be on that committee now...

that both #1 and #2 have lost...

and they almost have to have a 2-loss team ( Auburn) in the top 4...assuming they beat 10-1 Georgia again next week in the SEC championship.

or does UCF have a chance, since they, along with Wisconsin are the only unbeaten teams left?

If Ohio State, another 2-loss team, beats Wisconsin in their championship game....do they get in?

Assuming Clemson wins tonight, they would likely become #1 with Oklahoma #2.

How far do 11-1 Alabama and 10-1 Miami drop?

What a nightmare!

Isn't it a great thing that we now have the playoffs to straighten every thing out? LOL

A case could be made for bringing that old computer out of the closet. I'm not a big fan of AI running my life, but is a human committee really any better at picking the best four teams to go forward? If we go to 8 teams and another round, is picking the eighth team going to be any easier than picking the fourth? NO!

Whoever makes the selections, man or HAL, there is going to be a lot of criticism and unhappy folks.

I like Wisconsin over UCF in the national finals and I'll cover the spread.

Going back to the original post in this thread, I guess Alabama's schedule leading up to the Auburn game was just too tough. I underestimated the Mercer effect.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Bleacher Reports is projecting this:
•1. Clemson (Last week: 2)
•T-1. Oklahoma (3)
•3. Auburn (6)
•4. Wisconsin (5)
•5. Alabama (1)
•6. Georgia (7)
•7. Miami (4)
•8. UCF (9)
•9. Ohio State (8)
•10. Penn State (12)
•11. TCU (11)
•12. USC (13)
•13. Washington (15)
•14. Stanford (14)
•15. Oklahoma State (23)
•16. LSU (18)
•17. Michigan State (22)
•18. Notre Dame (10)
•19. Memphis (17)
•20. Northwestern (19)
•21. Washington State (16)
•22. Virginia Tech (NR)
•23. Mississippi State (20)
•24. Florida Atlantic (NR)
•25. San Diego State (25)

I was expecting Alabama behind UGA, since they were ranked ahead of Bama before losing to Auburn, but assume they are looking how both teams faced Auburn.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 11-26-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Nick Barnes

It's gonna break down like this :

winner of Clemson and Miami- IN

winner of Wisconsin and Ohio State- In

winner of Georgia and Auburn- In

Oklahoma- IN

I mean I could see a scenario where Miami ,Ohio State and Georgia all win and Miami or Ohio State is left out for Bama... but that's probably unlikely to happen
Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

Oklahoma- IN

I mean I could see a scenario where Miami ,Ohio State and Georgia all win and Miami or Ohio State is left out for Bama... but that's probably unlikely to happen

Nick Saban said it best....it's a shame that the ONE game is gonna decide Alabama's fate......the committee has a mess on their hands.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Nick Saban said it best....it's a shame that the ONE game is gonna decide Alabama's fate......the committee has a mess on their hands.
IMO, if you lose your division and don't even play for your conference championship you should be eliminated from consideration.

I'd prefer if they went to 8 conferences and took the conference champions into an 8 team tournament. No voting, no committee, no polls.

I mean, how could Bama argue they deserve to be there if Clemson, Ohio State , Oklahoma all win (obviously the SEC winner is going to be in) when they didn't even have to play the extra championship game?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Bill Gregory

Every team plays an occasional cupcake. In the last three years, Wisconsin has played LSU twice, and Alabama, out of conference. And for those of you complaining about Wisconsin's strength of schedule this year, when BYU was scheduled, they were a 10-3 team. They've beaten two top 25 teams, and to get to the National Championship, they'll have to knock off a strong #7 Ohio State team.

Last year, Wisconsin was 11-3. Six of their fourteen games were against top 10 ranked opponents (#5 LSU, #8 Michigan State, #4 Michigan, #2 Ohio State, #7 Nebraska, #8 Penn State), and they beat #12 Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl. Hardly a cupcake schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Wisconsin is definitely known for cupcakes but Florida Atlantic is a decent team and who could have known that BYU would be so terrible? Regardless, they are on the outside looking in right now.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 11-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

OSU beats Wisconsin easily.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
IMO, if you lose your division and don't even play for your conference championship you should be eliminated from consideration.

I'd prefer if they went to 8 conferences and took the conference champions into an 8 team tournament. No voting, no committee, no polls.

I mean, how could Bama argue they deserve to be there if Clemson, Ohio State , Oklahoma all win (obviously the SEC winner is going to be in) when they didn't even have to play the extra championship game?
Agreed..Alabama's loss couldn't have come at a worse time...but still....It is only ONE LOSS....to the #6 ranked team.....While Clemson lost to unranked Syracuse.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

It depends where they place Bama....if its ahead of UGA,,they might get in ahead of Ohio St (if they beat Wisky)
If they are placed a tad lower, might as well say bye-bye-bye Bama.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 11-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Put your cards where your mouth is.

The Badgers are already soliciting photographers to man the OSU sidelines to injure their stars.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-27-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Oklahoma- IN

You're right, Nick. It could be as simple as that. It would be hard to argue against it. IMO

Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
You're right, Nick. It could be as simple as that. It would be hard to argue against it. IMO

Alabama picked the worst possible time to lose.....and their lone loss is against the highest ranked opponent they have faced. Meanwhile Clemson loses to Syracuse and gets in...go figure.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I can't believe that most are okay with Ohio State potentially getting in as a 2 loss team. They weren't close losses either.

I'm good with Bama in as a 1 loss team. It's hard to go undefeated, and it doesn't matter to me when a loss occurs.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Bill Gregory

We shall see. Wisconsin's defense is no joke, and if JT Barrett isn't 100%, things could get ugly.

Any given Sun...er, Saturday. Wisconsin beat the snot out of an Iowa team that embarrassed OSU. Stranger things have happened, and this is not the team that OSU spanked in the BiG10 Championship in '14.

I would give a year of my life to see the Badgers destroy Ohio State. There are three teams I literally hate: the Minnesota Vikings, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Plus, I don't like the Michigan Wolverines, or the Miami Hurricanes much.

If the most beautiful woman I've ever seen wanted to marry me, and she was an Ohio State fan, I'd tell her to take a hike!

Quote:

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

removed.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-28-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Bill Gregory

Bama shouldn't be in, regardless. They've had a really easy schedule, and they haven't looked as good as they have in years past. Plus, playing Mercer in week 11? Come on. Talk about cake walks.

But the committee has a stiffy for the SEC.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Bama shouldn't be in, regardless. They've had a really easy schedule, and they haven't looked as good as they have in years past. Plus, playing Mercer in week 11? Come on. Talk about cake walks.

Okay, I'll delete my post. Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 AM
Bill Gregory

Scott, I'm just providing my opinion. It just happens to differ from yours, though I respect it. No need to delete what you posted.

If it came across as know-it-all-esque, my apologies. I've had a rough few days here, and my fuse has been a bit short. It's all good.

Quote:
Okay, I'll delete my post. Thanks for enlightening me.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:

Alabama's SoS is open for debate, however the SEC East is down this year ( as is the conference ) and each team does not play each other in the division each year. That's just scheduling and how the conference breaks it down.

I'm not going to penalize a team for playing a cupcake at the end of the season or reward them playing the same team at the beginning of the season. Nor will I penalize them for not " looking as good " as they have in previous years. They are still an 11-1 team, not 10-2 or 9-3, records of teams everyone seems to love.

Not a Bama homer here, MIZZOU thru and thru.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Alabama's SoS is open for debate, however the SEC East is down this year ( as is the conference ) and each team does not play each other in the division each year. That's just scheduling and how the conference breaks it down.

I'm not going to penalize a team for playing a cupcake at the end of the season or reward them playing the same team at the beginning of the season. Nor will I penalize them for not " looking as good " as they have in previous years. They are still an 11-1 team, not 10-2 or 9-3, records of teams everyone seems to love.

Not a Bama homer here, MIZZOU thru and thru.
I also think with all things being equal. If i a team was ranked top 3 or whatever for a longer period of time versus another team with the exactly the same everything else, that the team ranked in top 3 or so gets the edge over the other team.

The reason being they were facing the best effort for a longer period of time from their opponents then the other team. This year Alabama every game was facing the best efforts of the season from many or all of their opponents.

The same cant be said for u. of miami/ UCF etc. Again, i just using this as a tiebreaker in the event everything else is even. I think Miami faced that with Pitt last week. If Miami plays Pitt 5 weeks ago, i dont think the pitt effort is the same. Bama deals with super effort against them every week.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
We shall see. Wisconsin's defense is no joke, and if JT Barrett isn't 100%, things could get ugly.

Any given Sun...er, Saturday. Wisconsin beat the snot out of an Iowa team that embarrassed OSU. Stranger things have happened, and this is not the team that OSU spanked in the BiG10 Championship in '14.

I would give a year of my life to see the Badgers destroy Ohio State. There are three teams I literally hate: the Minnesota Vikings, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Plus, I don't like the Michigan Wolverines, or the Miami Hurricanes much.

If the most beautiful woman I've ever seen wanted to marry me, and she was an Ohio State fan, I'd tell her to take a hike!
I think it's highly unlikely any beautiful women are Ohio State fans.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I think it's highly unlikely any beautiful women are Ohio State fans.
In Wisconsin bucks have buckeyes and nice racks.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Now that Clemson, Okie, UGA & Ohio St (that's how I rank/put them)
That BAMA is left OUT!!!!!
Should be NO DOUBTS!!!!
Look back at last yr when Ohio St was left out and Penn St got in.
Cant eat your cake and toot the milk....rooty toot toot!!!
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Just go back to bcs or expand the playoffs...the committee cant help being sec bias since half the members have sec background.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Al Wright

Unless my memory has vapor locked (a distinct possibility) Ohio State was hoisted over a higher ranked Penn State last year on the grounds that the committee felt they were the better team.

For my 2 cents Alabama should be in over Ohio State. We shall see.

A local sports radio big shot here in NY claimed during the week that on a neutral field Alabama would be favored over any other contenders. I think he's correct. They lost at a bad time. That doesn't translate to them necessarily being excluded in my opinion.

I'm a big UGA fan anyway. Been so only since 2012. Superstorm Sandy had walloped us in NJ and the power was out for 8 days by me. Was getting real chilly at night in the old farmhouse. Was sitting in the car at a local supermarket that somehow had power when a huge convoy of enormous white power utility trucks came rumbling down the street. Large black letters on the side GEORGIA POWER. Electric was back on with 30 minutes. The cavalry!
Go Dawgs.