NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Default Best way to sell Mantle auto ball

Posted By: Jim T

I have an autographed Mantle ball that I have considered selling to fund the purchase of t206 cards. I had hoped to work out a trade but nothing ever materialized. The ball was purchased from Kit Young Collectibles back when Mantle was still signing actively (about 1-2 years before his death). It has not been authenticated by a 3rd party but does come with a COA from Kit Young (don't know if that means much).

So what is the best way for me to sell it? Getting it authenticated and graded seems like it would maybe double what the ball would fetch. I have watched the bay lately and unauthenticed balls are in the 300 range. High grade authenticated balls may get 800.

I guess I answered my own question, but who should I use to authenticate it? How much should I expect to pay for that service? Should I sell it on ebay (I have 100% feedback but all for buying)? Can I consign it to a trusted ebayer an how much will that cost me?

Thanks for the input.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Kit Young is one of the biggest and best known dealers in the country and has run many shows, so it's possible the autograph was in person at one of his shows or a private signing. If the COA was from such an in person signing, I don't forsee a problem. In fact, many people would prefer an in person signing COA to a later PSA or JSA LOA.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Here are what I consider the two best ways to go with this...

1. Sell on Ebay, and use the PSA Quick Opinion service. This will only cost you a few extra bucks. The quick opinion will be far less costly (and far more timely) than sending it in for a full-blown LOA.

You can also mention in your listing that it has the Kit Young Certificate. This does carry some weight with long-time collectors. He has been a reputable dealer for years, and has been a trusted name in the hobby.

2. Consign to an auction like Vintage Authentics, Premier, Huggins & Scott, or AMI. The big prestigious Auction houses won't take this type of material, but the 3 mentioned above will (and they will normally cover the cost of a Spence or PSA LOA). You will likely pay them a 15% consignment fee, but will realize a bit more $$ for your ball.

The downside... it will take a total of 3 months or more to be paid. This is the time frame between when you send it in, when the auction actually runs, and at least 30 days after the auction has ended. AMI takes the longest to pay... I would recommend Vintage Authentics or maybe one of Heritage's weekly Internet Auctions for this type of piece. Hope this helps!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I agree with Mark that a positive PSA/DNA Quick Opinion along with the Kit Young COA would probably work fine.

Kit is best known as a baseball card guy, but, at the very least, the COA shows that the ball came via a respectable hobby guy. That's known as good provenance, and, while not definitive proof of authenticity, good provenance is always considered a good thing.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

unless you are in a hurry, i'd just send it in...it wont cost $500 for the LOA...what is it now, $100??? thats still a $400 difference...i'm no expert but that looks like a very nice signature, he must of been sober that day.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

No big auction house will make a single lot of it usually and sending it in is such a pain and expensive. Quick opinion and you can save $93. Throw it on eBay and the people who know what they are doing will spend $400-500 for it and those who don't buy up all the fakes for $100-150. That's usually how it works.

DJ

Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Or, you might want to consider refraining from selling a bad piece.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Interesting, Jodi...

The few autographed pieces I obtained from Kit Young were all verified good by PSA, with no issues. Wonder how this one made its way through? I know Kit Young is based in SD, where the Marinos and lots of the "Operation Bullpen" stuff originated.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Jim -

Just find a buyer. That's all you have to do. No more, No less. This sums up everything

Good luck !!!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Jodi, what makes you believe this is a bad piece?

Thanks for all the input. I didn't realize that the Kit Young COA would carry any weight. So much emphasis is put on the big time authenticators these days. I love Kit Young, most of my first pre-war cards were ordered through his catalog 15 years ago. I always enjoyed getting his catalog and seeing all the different types of cards. Anyone know if he still does a catalog in the ebay/internet age.

Jim

PS. This is the COA that came with the ball and I don't want to turn this into a BST thread but I am really more interested in trading for some T206's if anyone has an interest. Otherwise I may put a price on it and put it in the BST section before trying one of the other options.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick G

Im no expert but those M's look very shaky, slow and deliberate.

Kit's a legend, but not an autograph expert. Im sure he just bought it from someone

Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

It looks just like the ones he signed shortly before his death in 1994 & 95. Anything with a Kit Young cert. is good.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Interesting side note to the ball which my future wife bought me for my birthday. We went to Cooperstown on our honeymoon and arrived in town almost to the minute of the time The Mick passed. It was of course a sad day for baseball and on his plaque was hung a wreath of flowers.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

Jim

IMO - if ya can get this authenticated by PSA/DNA, for 100 bucks, it's worth the investment with the return on ebay.

The one above is at 1100 bucks right now with a day to go.
The ball and auto are both graded a 9.

Good luck
mike

Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Nick is correct in what he says. There are other detracting factors which I won't expand upon ad nauseum.

Anyhow, if you want my advice, just chalk this one up to bad luck. Neither JSA or PSA would cert that ball. You said that it was purchased before the Mick's demise. Chances are, that means that you paid under $60 for it. It would cost you at least $75 to have this authenticated by the aforementioned companies. You'd end up losing money on this, even if you were to be issued a refund from the original seller.

I normally stay out of these types of discussions, but, then again, wouldn't want to see someone lose even more money on something like this.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I almost said something right after this was posted but did not because I am not an authenticator, but since Jodi has chimed in and knows more than me on the authentication subject, I will second his opinion that this signature is not authentic. Mantle signed his "M" very fluidly on authentic balls and the one in the scan is very labored and does not flow.

To the best of my knowledge, Kit Young did not ever place stamps or holograms on his items so is there any chance someone bought a real Mantle from Kit, then sold it without the cert and then sold you a fake ball with the real certificate or something?

Rhys

Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I noticed the shakiness of the M's too but had always attributed it to his likely age and health when he signed it. The rest of the signature does look right compared to other signatures.

The ball was purchased directly from Kit Young so the chance of someone swapping the ball is ruled out. I also believe him to be a reputable dealer and think the ball is likely authentic.

However, among the autographs I have, it is the only one I did not get in person. It sounds like anyway I look at it, I should get it authenticated first. Either it won't be authenticated and I have a nice ball to play catch with or it is authenticated and fetches a better sale price.

The irony is that about 6 to 8 months before he died, there was a show in Chicago that I could have gone to and gotten his auto in person. For whatever reason, I did not go. So my wife bought this ball for me in April and he died that August. If I had gotten it in person and was certain it was real, chances are I would not sell it. Nothing to do with knowing it is authentic but more of having a connection to a baseball legend.

I have a Warren Spahn auto that I love because I got it in person and he was easily the best autograph experience that I ever had. It would be hard to part with that regardless of value.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

As stated, SAVE YOUR MONEY.

I'll dust off my catcher's mitt.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

I can tell you this is real. Mickey signed it right in front of me . I was one of the directors.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

Just would like to add to the exemplars - from his book - "The Mick."

Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shelly jaffe

I love Kit Young but he is not an autograph dealer.The ball will not pass Psa quick opinion.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

I will submit it for autentication at some point in the near future. So, assuming it doesn't pass, what do I do then? Will Kit Young back up the gaurantee? I believe my wife paid about $120 for it 12-13 years ago and naturally I don't have a receipt. I can't help but think that not only would I be out any appreciation in value but without a receipt or proof that it is the ball they sent me I will also be out the initial 120 bucks. Not the end of the world I guess, but it would be extremely disappointing to have purchased this ball from a reputable dealer and assumed all these years that it was the real deal only to find out that it isn't and then that I am stuck with it.

I don't know that Kit Young would not take it back, I guess I am just assuming the worst case scenario. Anyone have any experience with returning something to Kit Young so long after the fact?

Jim

Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Maybe they will give you a $120 credit (for merchandise). Since most dealers have a 100% markup (and pay 50 cents on the dollar for what they re-sell), it would be the equivalent of him shelling out about $60. This was the going rate for a Mantle Ball at the time, anyway...

I bet they will work with you, if not that way, then in some similar fashion. With no receipt (and the amount of time that has lapsed), I would be surprised to see you get back $120 in cash.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Thierfelder

A follow up to the questionable Mantle ball...

I took it to the National last week to have it authenticated and it was deemed likely not authentic (you were right Jodi, I should have saved my money).

In any case, Kit Young Collectibles has offered to refund the purchase price of the ball. As dissapointed as I am in having held this ball so long assuming it was the real deal only to find out it is likely not genuine and not worth what it could have been, I appreciate the fact that Kit Young Collectibles will stand behind their guarantee after so much time has passed.

Lesson learned... I will stick to cards.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shelly jaffe

It would sell for about four hundred if it where authentic. I know kit had some Dimaggios and Willams and Mantles. I think they came from a trade with Horwards or B an J. None of them are authentic.

Shelly