NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default White Plains Show (Best Dealer Nominee)

Posted By: T206Collector

I went to the White Plains show yesterday (last day is today, Sunday) and had a transaction with "Chet D." that was the best transaction with a dealer I have ever had. I needed the T206 Cy Young for my set and he had one for $300. I told him that I wanted to spend under $200 for it. He said he could do $200, but not less than $200 -- a strong offer to be sure -- but still I did not want to pay $200. So, I picked out a number of other T206 cards, the price tag value of which was about $600 (including the Cobb) and was prepared to pick one or two $15 cards out of the lot and offer $200 for the Young and those cards when he said that I should just take the pile, pay him $200 at the show, and pay him another $200 when I see him next time. As I was doing the math in my head, stopped me to tell me what I was coming to the realization of: this was a terrific deal. So, I walked out of the show with about $600 in T206 cards, but I only had to leave $200 short. The next White Plains show isn't until January, which gives me an interest free loan of $200 for two months, but what struck me most was his trust in me to show up without knowing my name or where to reach me with another $200 in a couple of months; putting aside the fact that his original asking price on the lot of cards I selected was, again, about $600. So....

If you are in the Westchester County area today, I highly recommend getting yourself to the White Plains show. While you are there, you should stop by Chet's table (in the middle of the room, he's got blondish/gray hair and glasses, I believe, in his late 30's or early 40's, I'd guess). He recently purchased a 200+ lot of T206 cards, many of them in very nice condition with affordable prices, but also a nice assortment of lower condition cards in the $20 or less range. He is extremely generous, and a pleasure to bargain with. If you go, please tell him that Paul (the guy who bought the Cy Young card for his set yesterday and owes him $200) sent you! He'll get a kick out of that.

In any event, I wanted to nominate Chet D. as my favorite dealer.

Paul (aka T206Collector)

Old 11-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Nice!! sounds like you did well. I have not been to a WP show in years.

Steve

Old 11-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jonathan Perry

Chet and I have been friends for several years and it is nice to see others realizing what a stand up guy he is. Chet always has fresh material, is very knowledgeable, and offers fair deals.-Jon

Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

This is Chet Woods. He is one of the absolute greatest dealers on earth, and one of the nicest people I've met in the hobby.

Chet has done similar things with me, time and time again, on 38 Goudeys and Diamond Stars. He will remember you, and your name, the next time he sees you. He will remember what you collect. He will shake your hand and look you in the eye, offer you a great deal, and the next time you go to a show, you'll buy twice as much stuff from him.

A friend of mine saw Chet at a show in California, and saw some nice 38 Goudeys at his table. He called me from the show, and went through them, card by card. I asked my friend to ask Chet to pull a few aside for the next time I saw him, and he did it immediately. He could have sold those cards in California, but packed them away and waited until he got back to New York, where he then offered me a nice price on them.

Chet has a fantastic assortment of tobacco cards, and is one of the most trustworthy dealers I've ever met.

When I go to a show, I don't buy a thing until I see Chet first.

-Al

Old 11-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Chet RULES!!!! He has helped me out so many times!!! I was at the Boston show and i was buying some beater Cubby T206's from him. He and i went through all of his T206's and pulled out all the cubs. Then i sorted them by player, pose, etc... i picked out three that were sixty. I asked him if he'd do $55. He said NO! He would do fifty though! What an awesome guy. Made the other transaction i did there seem a little bit easier to swallow! Speaking of Chet...does he ever check his email? If not could someone shoot me his phone number. I owe him a big thanks.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I would like to agree with everyone on here about Chet, and share my own story.
I first met Chet last March at the Sun-Times show in Chicago. I was going through his stack of '33 Goudeys, and we talked for a few minutes about the set, vintage cards, and what other stuff he had. I bought about $200.00 worth of cards, and I noticed a Carl Hubbell that I wanted, but did not have the cash with me at the time. I took his business card and emailed him a few days after the show, asking if he still had the card. He asked for my address, and within 4 days, I received the Hubbell, with a note saying "Is $150.00 fair?" I was amazed, like the previous poster, at his trust in someone he just met not even a week ago, let alone sending a card in the mail. I sent him a check the same day, and I've looked forward to seeing him at the Sun-Times show ever since.
A side note, he lost his '33 Goudeys on the plane coming to Chicago in June, and he said the TSA was jerkin' him around. He really is a good guy, and the best dealer to work with. Glad to see others posting about him. I think the name of his company is "Big Red Machine collectibles" which is out of New York, ironically!

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

hey josh, if you have it could you shoot me his contact info?

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jonathan Perry

Chet Woods
cell phone: 804-590-2697
e-mail: chetwoods01@spynet.com
For those interested I believe he will be at the Ft. Washington Show in December.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Has anyone else emailed chet recently? Just wondering if i should call him. I usually hesitate to call people who don't expect a call from me however!

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RP60

John Goodman is also outstanding. Gives his regulars good prices.