NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Alex

Default A Note About Civility

There have been a few threads lately where members have been especially rude and vulgar to each other. Often times the comments don't have anything to do with the thread topic or baseball in general. This got me to thinking.

One of the good things about the internet is that it allows us to interact with people that we would never meet in our everyday lives. On the other hand it also allows people to say some pretty terrible and hurtful things without having to look the other person in the eye. I think this sense of anonymity can be a bad thing because it appears that it causes some people to make comments that I doubt they would make in their every day life. I would challenge everyone to consider that before posting something out of anger - would you say that to someone's face in front of a group of people?

Personally, I come to the board as a stress reliever. I am passionate collector and there is something relaxing about talking cards. I have met several people on this board who I consider friends and I am grateful for those relationships. When I see people act so vitriolic it detracts from that experience.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Luke Lyon

I agree with you that personal attacks can detract from the experience, but I think we have a lot less of the internet anonymity problem here than just about any other forum. The fact that many people list their real name does a lot to take that problem away. Also, reputation is very important here if you want to do any kind of business with fellow members. I feel like most of the time when people get into it, they are just arguing their point passionately. Probably no different than if we were all hanging out in a bar discussing our preferred color schemes for the borders of the tags in the plastic holders for our baseball cards (lol).
Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Anthony

I imagine you are talking about this Joey character. Although I don't know him and never had any conversations with him I can understand the attacks on someone that has done a lot of bad, but you still need to have some trust. I came on here thinking I wouldn't buy any cards on Net 54 but there is so much good stuff so I bought my first one from Luke Lyon, went great, since I bought a Bill Terry Goudey and waiting on a Bill Dineen T206 I just paid for yesterday.
2013 Topps Autograph Set: 84/660 12.72% Complete
2014 Topps Heritage W/SP's: 393/500 78.6% Complete
Old 05-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

unnecessary venting on my part

Last edited by Runscott; 05-23-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Pau.l C

Civility---good !

Last edited by chernieto; 05-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think a little bit of license is inevitable, but I have no use for the really vulgar stuff that is usually people's ticket out.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Alex makes a good point. Next time a repeat fraudster calls me a douche on the board after I pointed out his latest fraud, maybe he'll ask that he be banned instead of supporting him remaining here -- where he can continue to call me a douche and send me vile PMs.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-23-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Do morons come up to you when you are discussing baseball cards with friends, and interject their lunacy? Do teenagers walk up to you at the coffee shop and flame you verbally for the way you order your coffee? Do otherwise intelligent people curse you to your face in public when you disagree with them? If any of the above are true, you need to move away from New York City.

No offense Alex, but the internet is different. Fortunately, we have a moderator, as do most internet forums, who has to set up his own rules, and when the lines get crossed, we get warned or banned. That's good enough for me.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
One of the good things about the internet is that it allows us to interact with people that we would never meet in our everyday lives.
Yeah, I also had that in my 'bad thing' column. If we were only interacting with people who we would choose to interact with in real life, following your suggested decorum would not be a problem.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM
J.O.N

Just act like your mom's standing there watching you. Don't say or do anything you wouldn't if she was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.