NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Todd

Default Sports Conventions - Dealers - Questions

Hello all,

I am relatively new here and to the vintage hobby (just won a few B-L lots!). If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, and please feel free to move it.

Currently, I am employed at a local sports facility as a youth hockey director, coach, instructor, and I also run a summer rec. camp. In addition, I plan other events such as open houses, the annual Halloween Bash, ect. We've done work with the New York Rangers, as well as the New York Islanders. They keep me busy all year long!

As part of the management team, we are looking to expand the use of one of our rinks/floors in the warm-weather months. We are a 2-rink facility, and we melt down one rink at the end of March for roller hockey, rec. camps, a motorcycle show, food show, and open house.

We also used to house a computer show and we also hold mixed-martial arts events. We have also consdered a local concert series.

One thing that we may be interested in would be a Sports Card, Memorabilia, and (maybe)Comic Convention. The floor is the size of an NHL rink (roughly 200' by 85'). We could probably fit 160-175 tables (8' each). We're trying to find a weekend where we have both a Saturday and Sunday available for such an event.

We are in a pretty decent location (kind of a northeast crossroads, if you will). We're just off I-84 in Newburgh, NY. New Jersey, Connecticuit, and Pennsylvania are pretty much right around the corner as well. There are shopping malls, department stores, and many restaurants nearby. Our facility also has a cencession stand, restaurant, and pro-shop (and ATM on-site).

I do have a small list of dealers in New York, but I don't want to limit it just to New York. My main question is, would be how to contact a large number of dealers that might be interested in such an event? I know large convnetions are popular, but smaller shows (like they used to have in the malls) have gone by the wayside (a lot, I'm sure, has to do with the internet).

I should have a date within the next week or so. We have begun getting quotes for table rentals, ect. Of course, we need to find dealers of sports cards, memorabilia, comics, toys/collectibles. We're pretty much in the "feeler" stage, and I thought that many of you have plenty of experience in this area. Lots of work would need to be done in a short period of time: finding dealers, getting tables, security, advertising, pricing, ect.

Would dealers be interested in such an event? Would people be interested in attending? Should it be a one-day thing or two days? These are some of the questions we need to answer before we move forward.

Any information (or thoughts) would help and would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Todd
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Sgc?

Hey Todd,

Parsippany, NJ is roughly an hour and a half south of you, and the headquarters of SGC, one of the leading third party grading companies out there. If you can get them to swing a visit, set up shop, accept submissions, etc... that would greatly help you out.

I've read of several board members who also live in the area who could also give you an idea if a show could be successful. It really comes down to local interest on the hobby. Do some research on area card shops, etc... and see how business is. Pull them in, market to their existing customers and I'm sure you could make a success out of it.

Good luck,
-Kyle
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Todd,

I live very close to you and know which facility you are talking about. I have been in the hobby for more than 25 years and would be happy to answer some of your questions. I tried to PM you, but your account is not set up to receive messages. You can PM me back if you would like.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM

If you have that sporting facility, organizing experience and promotional ability, I think you could have a good show. I would make sure you give your self more than enough time to organize, get word around and gather. Perhaps have it next year. Just a thought.

I live in Seattle and the annual show is organized by a Net54 collector and it's held in an elementary school-- and it's a top notch show, with good material and attendance. Interestingly, the elementary building is a great facility for a show, though the drinking fountains are really short.

As was mentioned, I would talk to someone at SGC, as they'll know names of dealers and might participate themselves. If you can get SGC to attend, that would be great.

As I said, giving yourself enough time to organize and get the word out is a good idea. You shouldn't schedule the show for this Sunday, for example.

Good luck.

Last edited by drc; 03-11-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Todd

Thanks for the input, guys!

Jeff, a PM has been sent...I think. lol I'm still trying to figure out my account.

Todd
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 AM

You should post on the PSA board (psacard.com), as there are lots of dealers and collectors there. I'd think you might get some good input there. They talk about shows there with some regularity.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Johnny S

Sounds like you have a great opportunity to have something successful. To get things going smoothly I would have the tables as low priced as possible. Remember many of the dealers will have to stay in hotels, food , ect. So a small fee would give them more room to wheel and deal with the collectors. And even if they don't, collectors will have some good stuff to look at. From what I have read about the Philly shows they used to be great but now charge so much for tables many dealers don't even go. By charging a small admission fee you could try to make some money on concessions. If you make it a reasonble and friendly experience it could go well and grow. I just moved to the area and am not that far away, I hope it works out I would love to attend and hopefully pick up a few nice cards !
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Sounds like it would be a great show...too bad I dont live anywhere near there!!

I just wanted to say that the number of tables you have mentioned might be a bit ambitious for the exibition space you have. I used to organize card shows for many years back in the day and the last thing you want to do is cram as many tables into your space with little regard for traffic flow. You will want to allow for the show attendees to move freely between tables and you also want to give your dealers enough space behind their tables as to not feel cramped. I know hockey rinks are very large but it just seems to me that any more than 100-110 tables might cramp everyone which will cause dealers and attendees to remember that and not return. I know the shows I always knew would be cramped I stayed away from unless it was a show that was so good I could not miss it.

Good luck on your venture and please feel free to pm me with any questions you have!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Jim VB

Todd,

Here's a thought. Rather than try to organize the show from scratch yourself, perhaps you can find a promoter who has the necessary contacts to fill the building with dealers and customers.

Most parts of the country have dealers who organized shows years ago. Many stopped because of dwindling attendance and rising site rental rates. If your rental rate is decent, you may be able to talk one into trying again.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Todd,

To make this successful, you need to make contact with many of the high end dealers, auction houses, grading companies. If the "clients" (collectors) see that these big name dealers are setting up at a particular show, it will entice them to attend.

If you want this done in the next couple of months, go to the Phiily show this weekend & talk to these dealers, auction houses, and grading companies. If you don't need to have it done before August, then go to the National & talk with them there.

Good Luck,
Alan
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Tony Gordon

From a dealer's perspective you need to be able to guarantee that there will be customers. I set up at 60-table shows most every weekend in the Chicago/Milwaukee area. I've tried new shows in the past and didn't make table fees. So I now stick to the shows where I know there will be people in the door. For a new show, you will have to do some hefty advertising to lure dealers away from the establshed shows. Even with advertising, I think you are going to have a tough time getting dealers.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Jon Canfield

Your show location is also pretty close to the White Plains show so you will have to make sure you coordinate properly and not run a competing show on the same weekend. While the White Plains show are nothing compared to how they used to be, if you run your event the same weekend, you will be competing for an already limited amount of dealers.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Todd,

Here's a thought. Rather than try to organize the show from scratch yourself, perhaps you can find a promoter who has the necessary contacts to fill the building with dealers and customers.

Most parts of the country have dealers who organized shows years ago. Many stopped because of dwindling attendance and rising site rental rates. If your rental rate is decent, you may be able to talk one into trying again.
As I started reading through this, I had the same thought.

Without the established contacts and reputation, successfully putting on a decent size show is probably a much larger task than you think.

An established promoter/organizer can bring in the dealers that you would need for a success, and knows exaclty how everything has to go.

You get to rent out your space, make money on food and drink, and introduce potential customers to your facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Your show location is also pretty close to the White Plains show so you will have to make sure you coordinate properly and not run a competing show on the same weekend. While the White Plains show are nothing compared to how they used to be, if you run your event the same weekend, you will be competing for an already limited amount of dealers.
That would be the promoter I would go to. They know the business, and they know the area market. They would get dealers and companies that someone with no history wouldn't be able to.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 AM

One thing not to forget is having a local sports facility that already holds games and concerts and leagues and such is a great start. No doubt this facility is well known locally for having community events and is experienced at pr, promotion and advertising of such events. That Todd works at the facility, and has experience hosting events there, makes it that much better. Having a good facility and knowing how to run it is at at least 1/3 the battle.

Last edited by drc; 03-12-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Paul Hawk

Just something to think about:

Offer SGC free table(s) as the event to draw a big name. Since you are as close as you say you are, offer the same to James Spence Auth. Two big names in the hobby (if you like them or not).

You mentioned having connections with the New York Rangers. Maybe try contacting some of the players to do autographs for their charity/money to draw a crowd.

If you have some big names like that, and have time to promote your event with vendors, you might draw a crowd.

Just an opinion from an idiot.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Todd

I just wanted to let those who have offered their help, that I am not ignoring your advice. This event is something that we may not be able to put together this season, but possibly next year. There's a lot going on and I don't think we would have a reasonable amount of time to plan an event like this.

It certainly is something we would consider for the future!

Thanks again,

Todd