NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Default Unfortunately, considering getting completely 100% out. Advice/thoughts?

Hello everyone,
I hate to say it, but after contemplating getting completely out of collecting numerous times over the years, I'm almost 100% sure its for real this time. The decision (as it always is with me) is financially driven as its been a little tough recently and with me just finding out the other day that I was let go from a side job I was doing which really helped bring in extra money, was the final nail in the coffin. The last time I contemplated getting out I ended up just getting out of prospecting (been clean for 1 1/2 years now!) and where I could once tell you just about every minor league player from rookie ball to AAA, I now only know those I once invested in who are still in the minors and to be honest, I don't have any regrets (except the rare times I look on ebay for the cards I once invested in just to see how much was left on the table). Unfortunately, getting 100% completely out after having collected since I was 10 y.o over 20 years ago is a very difficult decision to make as I never loved the newer cards as much I do vintage and even at age 10, there was nothing like owning a card from one of the greats. I know if I don't get completely out and even just keep only my favorite card (my signed 1907 AC Dietsche Ty Cobb), eventually that would be enough to bring me back in alot sooner than would be good for me and I just can't afford for that to happen as once I get into something I go all in. As for how I plan on liquidating everything, I'm not sure yet but I do know that I can't stand ebay and will try to sell as little as I can on there by just selling all the smaller items there and maybe consigning the larger items which is basically all my signed HOF R.C's. Ideally, I would love to just dump everything all at once and be rid of it all at the same time instead of going slowly but that will never happen with my luck. So the long road begins......

sorry for the long and prob. boring read but I needed to get it off my chest as this forum is easily my favorite of the bunch as there are some really good members here,

Thanks Everyone,
Dan
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 PM
N
Banned

Bummer! Sometimes, things are necessary though in order to have enough funds to actually live. I wish you the best of luck on your sale if you do decide to go that route. Always sad to see a collector leave, but I know it's for a good reason.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Life

In the scheme of things this is just a hobby and most of us when we really need income to live or take care of family it really becomes an easier decision. We all really need to have the correct priorities in life and it sounds like you've come to a decision on that aspect in regard to your particular situation.

Thanks for sharing your plan and I hope all goes well when you do decide to sell.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Normally, I would say, wait a few months, don't buy anything, but just see if you really are certain that you do not have any more interest in your collection anymore. However, if you need the funds, you need the funds, and it looks like you've thought out the scenarios of even keeping your favorite few cards. Good luck in your sales, you have a lot of great cards. Hopefully you'll still pop in on this board every now and then even after your collection is sold.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Dan,

I wouldn't blame you one bit. If you look at what has happened with Mastro and Legendary and the ripple effect it has had along with Lifson retiring and the fact that shill bidding is still going on........As I said, I wouldn't blame you a bit.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Mark Medlin

The shill bidding is depressing but the fact remains that the item was purchased at a price the buyer was willing to pay. I am more concerned about the fraud, forgeries and the like. When those happen you are not getting a product you had bid on. I'm not condoning the shilling, it is appalling. But to me the articles about the product deceptions are much bigger issue. I wouldn't buy an autograph or a piece of memorabilia from my own grandmother. As a whole the hobby has taken a turn for the worse with the grading and certification companies and employees being actively involved in the buying and selling of the same materials they grade and certify. It's quite a disservice to a hobby we all love.

Mark Medlin
Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
I wouldn't blame you one bit. If you look at what has happened with Mastro and Legendary and the ripple effect it has had along with Lifson retiring and the fact that shill bidding is still going on........As I said, I wouldn't blame you a bit.
Are you leaving the hobby, Brian? Are you advocating that collectors like the OP get out because of "Mastro and Legendary"? I'm guessing not, but it doesn't stop you from being disingenuous, per usual.

Rob Lifson retiring is a "ripple effect"? I thought he was retiring because he wanted to, as he very clearly stated. You've decided that it's something nefarious, but perhaps you don't know what you're talking about.

Bill
Old 02-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Glyn Parson

Default What Bill Said

+1.

The OP clearly stated it is financially driven. Prices continue to be on the rise on great material, most of those shilled on killer items can actually make a nice profit even though they may have overpaid at the time (not excusing the crimes just stating facts). PS I do not think Rob leaving has anything to do with Mastro as I am taking Rob at his word.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 AM
Phil Garry

Dan:

Sorry to see a fellow BB HOF RC collector getting out of the game but I totally understand. I had to make the same decision a couple of years ago. The only difference was that, in addition to the financial aspect of my situation, I had also reached a point where I was rarely able to pick up a "needed" item any longer as my collection had reached about 85% complete and the remaining items were either too expensive or too rare or oftentimes both. The thrill of the constant buying and selling was mostly gone and a downturn in my health which caused a lot of missed work and ultimately forced me to sell off my collection just to keep paying the bills every month was the final nail in the coffin for my BB HOF RC collection. I was able to keep a few of my favorite Negro League pieces but everything else is now gone, although I was able to buy some property with some of the monies, which has turned out to be a good investment for me. Unfortunately, my greatly reduced workload has resulted in a much lower income level and no discretionary income is left over to afford the kind of vintage baseball items that I enjoyed collecting so much over the years. I am thankful though that my health has returned to near 100% again after nearly two years.

Anyways, Dan, I wish you the best in the future and hope you find happiness with whatever you decide to do.

Phil

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-19-2016 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Are you leaving the hobby, Brian? Are you advocating that collectors like the OP get out because of "Mastro and Legendary"? I'm guessing not, but it doesn't stop you from being disingenuous, per usual.

Rob Lifson retiring is a "ripple effect"? I thought he was retiring because he wanted to, as he very clearly stated. You've decided that it's something nefarious, but perhaps you don't know what you're talking about.

Bill
Bill,

"Disingenuous?"
I don't know what I did to upset you. I stated the ripple effect of Mastro and Legendary and then I mentioned Lifson retiring in the sentence.

Here is the quote:

"If you look at what has happened with Mastro and Legendary and the ripple effect it has had along with Lifson retiring and the fact that shill bidding is still going on........As I said, I wouldn't blame you a bit."

I have stated before I thought of getting out and a board member asked in that thread if fraud was part of the reason? I replied that it was hard to ignore the elephant in the room.

Thank you,

Brian Van Horn
Old 02-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Depends

I think your liquidation plans will depend a lot on how large your collection is and the type of cards that are in your collection. You may be able to sell many of the vintage cards right here on the BST. It is pretty easy and there aren't any fees.

The higher end items may be better off going into an auction.

The tough part is getting rid of lower end modern items and bulk lots, even bulk lots from the 70's. You may have to resign yourself to blowing them out and taking a loss. You might want to set up at a card show. Possibly another dealer will take the whole low end part of your collection.

A few years ago I wanted to get rid of 30-40 thousand baseball and football commons from the 1970's. I set up at a show and another dealer bought the entire lot. I wish I lived closer to CT. I would love to take a look at your collection, but I live in Wisconsin and I can't get away from work right now to make a trip.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:18 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'd start by selling the stuff you would least miss, then reassess, rinse and repeat.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
I'd start by selling the stuff you would least miss, then reassess, rinse and repeat.
Dennis,

Well, put. It's what I have been doing.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just because you sell your collection doesn't mean you can't do it and start over. It's not that difficult and if you don't have more into it than you should (as I look in the mirror) you can go slowly (cheaply) and still enjoy collecting. The chase (not Hal) and hobbyists are most of the fun for me.

Last edited by Leon; 02-19-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:30 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just because you sell your collection doesn't mean you can't do it and start over. It's not that difficult and if you don't have more into it than you should (as I look in the mirror) you can go slowly (cheaply) and still enjoy collecting. The chase (not Hal) and hobbyists are most of the fun for me.
usually when I hear someone 'considering' to sell they end up not sellling....i been hearing bobbyw considering getting out of the hobby for years..
Old 02-19-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
usually when I hear someone 'considering' to sell they end up not sellling....i been hearing bobbyw considering getting out of the hobby for years..
Let's face it. We call it a hobby, but it is also a passion which feeds an addiction at some level. Separating yourself from collecting is a step by step process.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 AM
K!ya S@bet

Queue the Sean "Dan PM Me" Post
Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Thank You everyone for the kinds words,thoughts and advice. I made this post last night and went to bed immediately after, so excuse me for not replying sooner. I also woke up to tons of emails and PMs with both offers and words of encouragement which I have been going thru this morning. I really have thought about "liquidating" for a few years now (even while continuing to grow my collection) and with the additions of a house and my 2nd child a couple years ago, I got out of "prospecting" first which, while fruitful, was very time and money consuming. With only vintage left (which is mostly my signed HOF R.c's) I have no choice but to part with them,how? I am not exactly sure yet as I really don't know if I should sell everything or keep some, I don't know, but I do know that I have to sell, at the very least, a vast majority of everything I have. Unlike most of the deals I do, I really need to think and take some time (as I just decided to sell a couple days ago) as for what I want/need to do and also go thru all the offers I have received so far.
Thank You all again,
Dan
Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Normally, I would say, wait a few months, don't buy anything, but just see if you really are certain that you do not have any more interest in your collection anymore. However, if you need the funds, you need the funds, and it looks like you've thought out the scenarios of even keeping your favorite few cards. Good luck in your sales, you have a lot of great cards. Hopefully you'll still pop in on this board every now and then even after your collection is sold.
Thank You, yes I will def. remain active as I still love this part of the hobby. I've actually not bought anything for a few months numerous times over the years and I only come back stronger while spending a ton.
Thank You.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Dan:

Sorry to see a fellow BB HOF RC collector getting out of the game but I totally understand. I had to make the same decision a couple of years ago. The only difference was that, in addition to the financial aspect of my situation, I had also reached a point where I was rarely able to pick up a "needed" item any longer as my collection had reached about 85% complete and the remaining items were either too expensive or too rare or oftentimes both. The thrill of the constant buying and selling was mostly gone and a downturn in my health which caused a lot of missed work and ultimately forced me to sell off my collection just to keep paying the bills every month was the final nail in the coffin for my BB HOF RC collection. I was able to keep a few of my favorite Negro League pieces but everything else is now gone, although I was able to buy some property with some of the monies, which has turned out to be a good investment for me. Unfortunately, my greatly reduced workload has resulted in a much lower income level and no discretionary income is left over to afford the kind of vintage baseball items that I enjoyed collecting so much over the years. I am thankful though that my health has returned to near 100% again after nearly two years.

Anyways, Dan, I wish you the best in the future and hope you find happiness with whatever you decide to do.

Phil
Phil,
First and most important, I'm happy your health is back. Thank You for sharing your experience as I also am in the same boat as you were as picking up new pieces that I need for my collection are rare and very expensive. I also find myself just accumulating multiples of cards and then having to sell them at a loss just to pay for the really expensive cards I just won.
Dan
Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I think your liquidation plans will depend a lot on how large your collection is and the type of cards that are in your collection. You may be able to sell many of the vintage cards right here on the BST. It is pretty easy and there aren't any fees.

The higher end items may be better off going into an auction.

The tough part is getting rid of lower end modern items and bulk lots, even bulk lots from the 70's. You may have to resign yourself to blowing them out and taking a loss. You might want to set up at a card show. Possibly another dealer will take the whole low end part of your collection.

A few years ago I wanted to get rid of 30-40 thousand baseball and football commons from the 1970's. I set up at a show and another dealer bought the entire lot. I wish I lived closer to CT. I would love to take a look at your collection, but I live in Wisconsin and I can't get away from work right now to make a trip.

Rick
Rick,
I'd have to say that my collection is about 90% vintage Auto's with a good majority of them being signed in person by me. I will make a imgur page with my collection this weekend if anyone would like to see it.
Dan
Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
I've actually been slowly selling some ,what I consider, major pieces this past year with the selling of my signed 1922 American Caramel Gabby Hartnett, 1907 Seamless Steel Tube Cobb and my Novelty Cutlery WaJo (currently in BST auctions). These sales are a small part of my decision knowing that I can sell some major cards and still be in a constant hole.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Let's face it. We call it a hobby, but it is also a passion which feeds an addiction at some level. Separating yourself from collecting is a step by step process.
Brian,
I think you hit the nail on the head! As I really have tried to get out in the past but I feel my first step to getting out was in me selling my prospects with the next step me being able to sell very important and meaningful pieces such as my Seamless Steel Tube Cobb, which was my favorite card of everything I had. There is no doubt that I am very addicted to the hobby and although I never smoked or am much of a drinker, I do have an addiction problem. My selling is me trying to end that addiction.
Dan
Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Bry@n

Dan, the only thing I will say is that you should do whatever leaves you with no regrets. Be 100% sure you are making the right decision for you at the time (it sounds like you are and like you have really thought this out) and then move on knowing you did the right thing because you wanted to do it. Plus, the cardboard will always be there waiting for you to start over again if things change. Leon mentioned that liquidating wasn't as hard as he thought it would be, so there is hope.

I look forward to seeing what your Stainless Steel Cobb brings!

One thing that might help here: if you have bulk newer cards you could donate them and write the loss of against your sales. I have a bunch of stuff from the 80s and 90s that I had been planning to dump, but given that I bought all of it a pack at a time I could probably claim a pretty huge loss against the sale of the rest of my collection (if I ever decide to sell it) if I was willing to look up pack prices and do a little math.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Hi Dan:

I am a relatively new collector, so my personal experience is perhaps not terribly relevant to your situation, though I have thought, at some point, I will have to part with the cards of which I'm become so fond, and I know that will be a challenging decision.

Just yesterday, I watched a Ted talk from a scientist/author named Dan Gilbert on the subject of happiness. One of his basic arguments is that, as humans, when we part with things we like, or when bad things happen (i.e. like break-ups), the disappointment tends to erode faster than we initially think it will. This is because we tend to overestimate the impact of future events, good or bad. I'm oversimplifying, of course, but it was a very interesting discussion nonetheless. It may or may not be of any relevance, but if anyone has a spare 20 minutes (never a given in this hectic world), it's not a bad use of time.

Cheers, and best of luck to you.

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilber...py?language=en
Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Derek Granger

Wow Dan! Crazy news! It looks like you've gone "all-in" on this decision with the consignment of those three amazing pieces!

I'm sad to see another HOF rookie collector fall victim to the "reduced itch" bug, but for my own selfish reasons, I guess I'm okay with it. I'll certainly be on the lookout for much of your material!

I hope you continue to contribute to the boards in some fashion. Perhaps you'll get the itch again (as Leon and others have).

All the best in your decision.

Derek

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Hank Thomas

It's all part of the churn, and we will all do it someday--or our heirs will. I've found that selling can be almost as much fun as buying, and there is satisfaction in knowing these great things you've treasured and protected are moving on to those who will do the same with them.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I sold off my collection years back and don't collect anymore (maybe in the future), but get enjoyment reading the board and reading about the stuff. Definitely can live without all the Mastro-esque drama, though. That gets old fast, especially when you realize we're dealing with kid's collectibles. The hobby as a hobby good, the hobby as a industry bad. I figured if I started collecting again it would be in an interesting antique area where items have almost no value and look quaint on my mantle, so the financial part of it isn't involved-- and of course, nothing that is professionally graded.

Though I'm an art historian by trade and am teaching a photo history course, so am still actively involved in "the stuff." I just don't buy for myself as a collector.

Last edited by drcy; 02-19-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A lot of my drive in building a nice collection is the idea that I will be leaving it to my kids who can share it with their kids. Very few people have the foresight and patience to do things in their life like build a collection of something and pass it forward. I wish I had a distant family member had put some things in a box and said preserve these. Kind of a legacy that tells you grandkids and great grandkids a little something about a person they never met. I've never been happier in my life than sitting at a baseball game on a beautiful summer day drinking a beer with my family. Or reading about baseball history. And all the better if those things have some value that will inure to others.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Thank you guys for the very encouraging words (it is very appreciated and helpful) as this is a very difficult decision to make. Also, I do have to little ones (ages 1 1/2 and 5) so the thought of keeping something for them is something I've always thought about ever since my 5 y.o daughter was born. So I will prob. hang on to some things for them. Also my signed 1954 Topps set (which I forgot all about during this decision) that I'm working on will stay until completion as I "only" need 30-something auto's left until its done.

Dan
Old 02-19-2016, 01:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
Thank you guys for the very encouraging words (it is very appreciated and helpful) as this is a very difficult decision to make. Also, I do have to little ones (ages 1 1/2 and 5) so the thought of keeping something for them is something I've always thought about ever since my 5 y.o daughter was born. So I will prob. hang on to some things for them. Also my signed 1954 Topps set (which I forgot all about during this decision) that I'm working on will stay until completion as I "only" need 30-something auto's left until its done.

Dan
so not getting out 100%, i am vindicated...didnt take long...
Old 02-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wow. . . . that seems pretty petty. Guy is trying to sort through some difficult sh*t and you stuck around just long enough to be "vindicated". What can I say other than Congratulations. You won something somehow.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Wow. . . . that seems pretty petty. Guy is trying to sort through some difficult sh*t and you stuck around just long enough to be "vindicated". What can I say other than Congratulations. You won something somehow.
Agree 100%. Jake, that's a bit of a low blow.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default getting out

Now Im waiting for a few D-heads to jump in and say..." Oh..he was pulling our chain...just teasing us... how dare he change his mind....I had a skin in the game ... he's going bait and switch..blah blah
Old 02-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
so not getting out 100%, i am vindicated...didnt take long...
well I forgot about my set, so for now, no not 100% but you are wrong as I will be getting rid of close to 99% of my collection (sorry to burst your bubble) and once the set is complete it will go as well, unless I get a damn good offer for it now then I will sell it too!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Now Im waiting for a few D-heads to jump in and say..." Oh..he was pulling our chain...just teasing us... how dare he change his mind....I had a skin in the game ... he's going bait and switch..blah blah
sorry but Jake was wrong (poor guy) I will not be pulling out. I will try to take my time with this so with the exception of a good offer for the entire collection, I won't be having a fire sale but will instead continue to listen to offers and take a few months to get rid of everything (at least thats the plan right now).
Old 02-19-2016, 06:03 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
sorry but Jake was wrong (poor guy) I will not be pulling out. I will try to take my time with this so with the exception of a good offer for the entire collection, I won't be having a fire sale but will instead continue to listen to offers and take a few months to get rid of everything (at least thats the plan right now).
guys..hes taking it in stride..not a low blow to him...you can see he is open for discussion....if not 100% out i am vindicated....but i hope to be wrong and you stay in...after all most of us downsized what we used to have so we all have only partial of what we used to have.....

its fine whatever you decide i wish you joy and happiness....if you end up not 100% out thats fine too..i just vindicated..
Old 02-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Rick,
I'd have to say that my collection is about 90% vintage Auto's with a good majority of them being signed in person by me..
Dan
I'm not sure I want a bunch of items signed by you.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:13 PM
je.sse @rnot

Sorry to hear about your situation. If you're signed Cobb is indicative of the rest of your collection, I'm sure you'll have no problem moving it when and where ever you choose. As Leon mentioned, and recently did himself, perhaps you can sell your collection and use the money now and get back in later.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
i'm not sure i want a bunch of items signed by you.
lol!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. If you're signed Cobb is indicative of the rest of your collection, I'm sure you'll have no problem moving it when and where ever you choose. As Leon mentioned, and recently did himself, perhaps you can sell your collection and use the money now and get back in later.
Thanks man! Thats kinda what I'm hoping to happen is to be debt free and slowly get back in later on in life.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Thanks man! Thats kinda what I'm hoping to happen is to be debt free and slowly get back in later on in life.
Best of luck. The cards will still be out there when you're ready again.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Best of luck. The cards will still be out there when you're ready again.
Thank You and for anyone who wants to see my collection, I have a spreadsheet for both my signed and unsigned collection finished, just send me an email if interested,
Thank You,
Dan

ivforlife16@yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

just an update....
a couple weeks before I decided to stop collecting (just about all my top dollar cards have been sold/consigned btw) I won this at an auction, my last pc purchase.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1905W600SportingLifePremiumTigersTeam.jpg (73.4 KB, 528 views)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I've purged my collection a couple times now, & restarted with a different & wiser focus both times, even while my cards were still consigned.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Hang in there!

Hello Dan,

Please do not get out! I know times are difficult for you and I feel your pain but you need your collection to turn to when things really get rough in the future. Based on what you wrote; this is probably what I would do.

1) Box all of your collection up and put it in a big closet and forget about it.
2) Do not buy or look at another card until well after you have landed another side job.
3) Once your new side job is secured and you are able to get stable again; still hold off on buying any cards.
4) Make paying down all credit cards a priority before buying cards.
5) Save a chunk of cash that is your card stash.
6) Budget $2 per week and play Powerball for the rest of your life. Use your favorite players jersey numbers from the bygone era for your winning ticket numbers.
7)Lastly, always stay positive. Your luck is about to change!!

Charlie
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 PM

Go straight to 6 and 7.

I got out of collecting 10 years ago when my third kid surprised us. Then I lost my job in the "great" recession. Sold some stuff. But discovered that just because I didn't make some buys didn't mean I couldn't still learn, love, and follow the hobby. Now with a fourth kid and an awesome job, I'm back. But now I know even more what I like and value. The best is ahead, Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Faust III View Post
6) Budget $2 per week and play Powerball for the rest of your life. Use your favorite players jersey numbers from the bygone era for your winning ticket numbers.
7)Lastly, always stay positive. Your luck is about to change!!

Charlie
Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Mark Fox

It was about a year ago that I decided to pull the string and sell off my entire vintage collection. I ended up consigning my cards and memorabilia to one of the auctions houses and I straight sold all of my autographed items to Jim Stinson.

I had always been pretty conscientious when it came to buying and bidding reasonably for items and I kept detailed spreadsheets on my acquisitions especially in regards to what I paid. In the end I recouped 95% of the cost of my collection which I considered to be a pretty great result. I can easily chalk up the remaining 5% to simply having thoroughly enjoyed all the time I spent working on my collection over the previous years.

And honestly despite my trepidation on getting rid of everything, after I packed all the items up in boxes to ship off to the AH and Jim Stinson... from the moment I dropped them at the post office and walked out the door of the post office, I have not regretted my decision once.

I had some unique pieces, some rare and tough to find autographs, and some items that might not show up in an auction or for sale again, at least not for a number of years. But if I should decide to start again, and the itch is there sometimes, I know that in a given year across all the various auctions I'm bound to find items of similar uniqueness and scarcity to ignite my interest again.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Bill

Dan you will be missed. I call it the "seesaw effect". Been there, too many times. $ gets way tight, have to sell off the collection. But I always come back because it's in the blood and I suspect, and hope, you will too when you can. Until then good luck to you buddy.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
A lot of my drive in building a nice collection is the idea that I will be leaving it to my kids who can share it with their kids. Very few people have the foresight and patience to do things in their life like build a collection of something and pass it forward. I wish I had a distant family member had put some things in a box and said preserve these. Kind of a legacy that tells you grandkids and great grandkids a little something about a person they never met. I've never been happier in my life than sitting at a baseball game on a beautiful summer day drinking a beer with my family. Or reading about baseball history. And all the better if those things have some value that will inure to others.
This pretty much echoes my plan--have it sold/auctioned after my death, dedicating some of the proceeds to a trust fund to help descendants get a college education, and leave a substantial portion to God's missionary work, possibly the Gideon's, an organization of which I am a member.

Dan, I would also consider the fact that the hobby is growing quickly--I have an REA auction catalog from the '90's that is about 8 pages of newsprint (compare that to the 500+ quality color pages of its latest editions!)--and it will continue to do so rapidly, IMHO, due to the internet and the large number of quality auctions. Also, so many of the big boys who are coming in and buying $525,000 PSA 8 '52 Topps Mantles and $300-$400K PSA 9 Aaron rookies will be expanding their collecting horizons over time, just as has regularly occurred and will continue to occur with coin collectors. I know you have some tremendous items, but would hang on to as many of those as you can, as it is my belief that the appreciation will be great and the payout much bigger later on, perhaps much sooner than you think. But you still have to do what you have to do, and I wish you the best of luck with whatever path you choose to take in this regard!

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 03-31-2016 at 03:49 PM.