NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Orcajo inquiry

On my blog between March 1-9, I ran several postings concerning submissions for the Standard Catalog by Maryland collector Al Moore.

Al has sent another packet of goodies, which I am working through for the blog and later pickup in my SCD column.

I've written Al for some clarifications, by regular mail since he doesn't do computers, but I could use your help, as well, before I make additions or changes to the Standard Catalog.
Orcajos.jpg
The cheklist for the 1937-39 Orcajo Cincinnati Reds postcards carries a listing for Ray Davis. While there were three players named Davis on the Reds in 1937-38, none of them was Ray.

There was Virgil "Spud" Davis, Roy "Peaches" Davis, and George "Kiddo" Davis.
Catcher Virgil Davis has a card in the set, but not Peaches or Kiddo.

Do you suppose the George Davis card pictured here was wrongly cataloged as Ray?

Al also sent the Alex Kampouris card shown here. I've asked him to confirm that is actually marked on the back as an Orcajo. If so, it is an addition to the checklist.

I'll be working up the material Al sent over the next week or two on my blog. You can keep abreast via the link below.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Hi, Bob,

Here is the Ray Davis card from my Orcajo collection. I think Ray is actually Roy "Peaches" Davis, a right-handed pitcher who was a starter in 1937, and a reliever in 1938, his last year in baseball. So, there would appear to be a name identification error perpetrated by Orcajo when the card was issued.

George "Kiddo" Davis played outfield and the pose on the card you have posted is consistent with that. However, I don't have "Kiddo" in my collection, but I doubt that he was wrongly cataloged as Ray. He should probably be added to the checklist, especially since it has the Val Decker Packing Co. imprint .

Can't help with the Kampouris other than to note that he should be added to the checklist if it's an Orcajo back.

These are great finds.

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Davis frt.jpg (73.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Davis bk.jpg (54.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Bob Lemke

Default Thanks, Mike

I think you've nailed it. Ray=Roy and George "Kiddo" is new to the checklist.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Lyman Hardeman

Default Two Nice Orcajo Additions

Two nice finds, Bob.

I am convinced the Kampouris card is also from the Orcajo set. Especially if you crank up the contrast and crank down the brightness in the lower part of the card. You can clearly see the "Val Decker Packing Co." labeling in the lower left. Well, maybe not so clearly, but it is definitely there--the same logo as on the George Davis card.

Thanks for sharing.

Lyman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kampouris-cropped.jpg (44.4 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by lhardem; 03-20-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Bob Lemke

Wow, Lyman, you're right! On the photocopy I received, the area is so washed out I never suspected the ad might be there.