NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: peter chao

Moving from art to photography. Any photo buffs out there? How did they get auction shots in the old days?

Also, a trivia question, are there any prewar sets with color photographs?

Peter C.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: davidcycleback

In early photography, long exposure was required. Thus there are very few real outdoor action photos. Almost all 1800s baseball photos have the player(s) standing still for the camera. The reason you see those balls hanging from strings on the Old Judges is because the photographers couldn't photograph a moving ball.

The first true color photograph was invented in 1907, so there would be no 1800s photos with true colors. Of course, one could color a black and white photo.

I don't know what issue was the first to have real life colors (from a color photo as opposed to colorized in), but I would imagine it was after WWII.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I second what David said!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Just want to be sure I understand what you're saying. Were those first color photos (1907) made by colorizing a black and white negative (thus creating colors determined by the colorizer's tastes, as opposed to the real life situation)? And if so, are you saying that the first color negatives (thus negating the need to colorize the negative to get the color print, as well as creating the real-life colors) did not appear until after WWII?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

I have no interest in colorized photos, because you can take any black and white photo and colorize it. I'm interested in the first color photography that was used on a card set.
I'll take a wild guess, '53 Color Bowmans.

Peter C.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

I got my date a bit off. The first true color photograph was the autochrome, which was a glass photo invented in 1904, but didn't hit the market until 1907. By true color, I mean it showed the true colors of the subject-- it wasn't a black and white photo colorized.

I don't know, but would guess that Peter is correct that the 53 Bowman Colors are the first 'true color' baseball cards-- meaning true colors of the subject and no colorization of black and white images. The Bowmans aren't photographs, but have true color images. There are earlier magazine covers and pictures that are true color, but evidently it took a while for baseball cards.

The 1957 Topps baseball have true color images, and I've seen the original color transparencies auctioned. A transparency is the same thing as a negative, and used just like a negative, except the images are positive not negative. If you hold a transparency to the light the image look normal like a normal photo.

For normal, everyday paper photography (ala Kodak family snapshots), color photographs can be found in the 1930s but examples are rare. 1940s more common, but still unusual. For example, how many true color images have you seen of Babe Ruth, Albert Einstein or Lou Gehrig? Can you think of a Humphrey Bogart movie that was in color? Color photography was around (1939's Wizard of Oz was in Color), but it wasn't used often.

Collectors can find early 1900s autochromes for auction, including on eBay, thought rarely if ever of sports scenes. As historical objects they can be valuable, and often have neat images to boot. As they're glass, you don't have to be a photo expert to be confident you have the real item and not a home computer reprint.

For those unfamiliar but intrigued with early photography, there is a whole series of photographs on glass, and a collector could specialize in just glass photographs. This includes the autochrome, ambrotype (essentially a tintype on glass), orotone (backed in genuine gold giving a gold color), opaltype (on white glass), glass slides (including colorized silent movie slides) and glass negatives. I've seen baseball examples for all of these except the autochrome. All Charles Conlon's Pre-War original negatives were on glass, and, in an article, he wrote how he was forced to destroy many of them as they running him out of his house.

And the nice thing for collectors interested in glass photographs is they quit using glass for photographs a long time ago. So if you pick up a glass photo at an antique store, you can be confident it's vintage.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

David,

A friendly bump for interesting information on color photography and cards.

Peter C.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: barrysloate

Wouldn't 1952 Topps be considered color photography? They are touched up a bit and not as pure as 1953 Bowmans, but they aren't drawings- they are photos.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

You might be correct, Barry. The problem in picking the first is there might be some regional color issue I hadn't thought of. The 51 and 52 Bowmans and 53 Topps are all from paintings

I'm not sure, but I thought that Upper Deck Studio had insert cards that were actual color photos (not lithos but photos). Those actually might have be first color photograph cards. I've seen in person one of these cards, so I'm not certain they were photos but they advertised as if they were.

I know for some of the recent painting-style cards, the original art is digital/computer. Donruss or Fleer or Topps auctioned of the original art for some of their baseball cards, and some of them were digital. Some also were the traditional paintings.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: Bob Lemke

The first true color photos used on baseball cards are the 1948 Signal Gasoline Oakland Oaks.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Studio Cabinets

Posted By: jay wolt

Bo b - Signal gas are neat cards, didn't know they were the first
color ones though.