NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 01-25-2019, 04:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Seeking a Bit of Basketball Purchasing Advice...

I am negotiating with a seller regarding a 1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain In Action card, which is basically the uglier of his twin rookie cards in that set (yes, weak analogy) and I'm looking for insight into what you would pay for it. It's a PSA 7 in the new slab (definitely fitting the 7 criteria visually) and the centering is a bit off. Not deserving an OC qualifier, but it's evident.

I have checked current ebay ask prices and looked at past auction prices - where a quick glance shows there is a bit of a disparity, as it seems the card has definitely trended a bit upwards in the last year or so - so I certainly know what they are going for in general. My point being that this card really is a semi-Wilt Chamberlain RC, so I feel it is a preeminent card. Does it hold that kind of stature in the basketball card world??

Any basketball card collectors want to tell me what price range you would be comfortable with? I have some CC points I can use to knock it down just a bit, but not enough to make it a definite go. This is clearly just a wide open question and you aren't seeing said card, so please avoid the usual tropes like "offer what you can afford" and all of that obvious nonsense. Just looking for people shooting from the hip, telling me what would be a 'good' price in your mind, saying, "I'd definitely jump at it if I could get it for XXX dollars."

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't think the In Action cards are very coveted except perhaps by set collectors, just my impression. Personally for the same money I'd rather have whatever Wilt I could get in the 1969 set which I think is a very nice looking card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-25-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think the In Action cards are very coveted except perhaps by set collectors, just my impression. Personally for the same money I'd rather have whatever Wilt I could get in the 1969 set which I think is a very nice looking card.
+1

The In Action cards are kind of meh. Kind of like buying a League Leaders card instead of the rookie card from the same set.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 01-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Without looking at the card itself , I say buy what makes u happy , if that’s what u always wanted to get a Fleer 61 but can’t get his actual rookie card then next best thing to get his IA “ugly brother”.A nice well centered in psa 7 I would pay from $300-$325 ..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149024462@N04/albums
Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Here the recent VCP sales.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Thanks for the input, guys. I was definitely feeling on the same page as Peter and Arthur. A similar comparison could be made regarding the Julius Erving situation of 1972. Whereas the Topps set includes his rookie card, there is also a separate all star card of him. Basically a secondary RC. (He's also on a 'Leaders' card.) It's strange to me that more collectors don't covet that "Dr. J" card as well. It's his rookie year, for cripes sake, but it doesn't share the limelight.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
+1

The In Action cards are kind of meh. Kind of like buying a League Leaders card instead of the rookie card from the same set.

Arthur
I'm gonna disagree. I'd much rather the IA over the '69 card. Having both the regular RC and the IA is such a nice pairing.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Arthur R!ch

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx

Last edited by HasselhoffsCheeseburger; 01-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:14 PM

The Chamberlain IA card is, obviously, not as desirable as the main card, but it is still nice. Don't automatically say no. If you want an accurate up to date value of it, ask basketball card guru, Michael Rakosi about it.

But, remember one thing above all, "Sometimes you gotta say, "WTF" and go for it.