NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Default I once saw a bumper sticker . . .

Posted By: Kenny Cole

that said "visualize world peas." I don't even like peas. However, reading what seems to be about 10,000 posts beating the same dead horse beyond glue brought it to mind.

I wonder what can be said, pro or con, about the Mantle or the Jackson, that hasn't already been said repeatedly. I wonder how many new and wonderous threats and insults can be thought up and passed around for the edification of the viewing audience.

By this time, EVERYONE knows where everyone else stands. After all, there have been about 1,000 posts where all of that was made clear by those who cared, those who were curious, those who wanted to egg things on, and those who were simply responding to someone else.

How about moving on to a topic which doesn't involve allegations of fraud against Dr. Koos or allegations of auction tampering against other members of the board? Those claims have been made, seconded, thirded, discussed ad nauseaum, and generally run into the ground. That being the case, I don't see much reason to continue it. At this point, it has degenerated into a mere hurling of epithets at each other. What does that accomplish?

Why not talk about something cool, such as your very favorite card and why? Mine is a Cuban card of Oscar Charleston. The reason why is that I had lost out oh several in the Jerry Smolin/Barry Sloate auctions, and thought I'd never find another. Then, one showed up on eBay. Being really clever, I decided to snipe it. Suffice it to say that my attempt ended up being feeble and I got my ass kicked. I was way depressed about the loss, so I took my wife to Dallas for the weekend to go buy other stuff, see some friends, and drown my sorrows.

When I got back, I had an email from someone else (Ryan Christoff) who had one to sell. I got it, it was in better shape than the one I'd missed, and I am still tickled to death to this day. It is my favorite card.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...mind your own business! We're at war here. LOL At least they have been with me. They already dispensed their best shots and now it's MY turn to let go with a few well placed salvos. Expect a VERY different and HOSTILE Ebay selling environment from now on.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

This is a war no one can win, at least not in a tangible sense. I don't know that it's an assured mutual destruction thing, but it does cause me to think of nuclear winter. I'm saying let's everyone smoke the peace pipe and talk about their favorite card. What's yours?

Old 08-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

It is certainly an odd choice... but the 1977 Topps Greg Luzinski will always be my favorite card. Why? I was a kid in Philly in the 1970's when those great Phillies teams were playing, and Luzinski was always my favorite... no one could hit the ball farther (or play worse defense). I still remember the excitement I felt as a 6 year old pulling a Greg Luzinski card out of a '77 Topps pack and showing it to my dad. I still have that card...

Jeff

Old 08-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

my favorite card is probably my london larry corcoran old judge card.my favorite pose that i have is vintage e90 rebel oakes and modern 1989 procards las vegas stars keith comstock where he is getting hit in the groin with a ball(true card,anyone wants a scan of it write me) the most sentimental cards i have are my first 6 cards,all pirates cards i got as a kid(81 topps,and there was a padre card in there too,but we wont mention that) and for vintage cards its my t206 bresnahan portrait which was my first vintage card.... and finally,my favorite card that i dont have is an old judge ewing/breslin(mascot),which ive wanted since i was very young,ill get it someday......i think that covers everything

Old 08-10-2002, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Thought I would use this thread to mention my favorite non-Hof post WW2 card: the 1975 Topps of Ralph Garr. I was just in the infancy of my card collecting, and this card positively shocked me because it pictured a full body shot of Ralph batting during a real game. I had been collecting the set pack by pack and thought there were only posed and head shots, but when the love of Garr came into my life I knew I was saved.

Brian

Old 08-10-2002, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The absolute first vintage card I ever got. I was probably 7 or 8 years old. I looked at that Flexichrome image for hours. I'd never seen anything so great before. I still have it.

Old 08-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Somebody was saying that the bumper sticker actually said "Visualize Whirled Peas".

Old 08-10-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Great story, Jeff. I've got a Luzinski card in my
"favorites" binder, as well. It's a 1984 Fleer, after he went to the White Sox. It's a dramatically lit portrait showing him shining up his bat with a kind of thousand-yard stare in his eyes. I'd dread being the next pitcher he faced.

Old 08-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and ys, it is "Visualize Whirrled Peas."

Probably the '53 B Musial
and the Mayo Nichols and Hamilton (tie)

Old 08-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

my favorite Garr card is the 1973 (I think) where he is rounding the base. Great action shot of a player on the basepath.

Jay

Old 08-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

I've also got a special affection for the 1953 Bowman Musial. When I was quite young (6? 8?) I was hospitalized with some sort of breathing problem and was in an oxygen tent. One afternoon one of my older brother's friends stopped by with him and gave me a large stack of his baseball cards from previous years. On top was a '53B Musial. You can imagine what a present like that meant to a kid in the hospital.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

My favorite card is the Blue background T206 card of Johnny Evers. This card is always tough to find in nice condition and is much rarer than the yellow version no matter what the price guides say.

I think most of the 1933-34 Goudeys cards are among the most attractive cards ever produced, I especially like # 188 Rogers Hornsby.

Be well brian