NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Doug

Default T206 doc crandall with a uzit back

Hi guys,

I will be dropping this card off at SGC to get graded soon, and wanted to get some additional feedback from "the experts" here at Net54.

As I now understand it, although it is a common card, it does have a Uzit back, but it's also previously unconfirmed and the only known combination of the Doc Crandall with a Uzit back, it is also only one of three T206 players known to exist that can be found with both a UZIT and a Red Hindu back.

I had posted the scans of this card in my initial thread when I joined Net54 last week, but they are buried in that thread so I have included them here. The cards were given to me in 1967 or 1968, and haven't been out of my possession since. There is no "monkey businees" with this card.

I am a novice collector. I am trying to understand the approximate value of this card, and I am having trouble doing that. There is no frame of reference that I have found for a card similar to this criteria. I have spoken to a well known personality in the hobby who gave me a great deal of information and the advise not to sell until I know what I have. (Thanks, Jim) I have received offers to buy it, but I'm not in a position to do that without understanding its rarity and possible value. When I do sell, it will be via auction.

I am hoping you guys may be able to offer some additional guidance and might be willing to venture a guess as to its approximate interest and some sort of minimum value. I have heard values anywhere from $600 to $30,000 and I am at a loss to understand the swing.

Your help and guidance would really be appreciated.

Regards to all,

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 CRANDALL,UZIT BACK 127.12.15.F.jpg (61.4 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg T206 CRANDALL UZIT BACK 127.12.15.R.jpg (69.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM
MikeHealer

You are probably correct in selling via an auction as that will get you the market price for the card. That being said if someone offers you $30,000 for it, you might want to forgo the auction route.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would give an auction estimate of 1k-2k ....but if you get an offer above 5k, sell it (imo).....
Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Matt Hall

I'd auction the card, I enjoy the gamble.

If you are gettin a bunch of lower offers (1-2k) along with one offer above 5k, then maybe you should consider it. If you have more then one offer that high, then go the auction route for sure. Either way, don't do a private sale until you feel like you've had enough of the right people's attention. Posting it here is a good start... Not enough though. There are a few well heeled collectors going after a master set, IMO they will probably give you the most for it.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Doug

Thanks Matt- I appreciate the advise.

It is what it is...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Craig M

I see that Craig's T206 White Border Master listed this card on the spreadsheet as (YELLOW) possible but not confirmed.

It shows that this card was almost certain to be floating around out there.

Craig
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Doug

Thanks - FYI, I'm not looking to pay off my mortgage, I just don't want to get burned.

D.

It is what it is...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batjac1 View Post
Thanks - FYI, I'm not looking to pay off my mortgage, I just don't want to get burned.

D.
Well, I hadn't looked, but if the front back combo is that rare then I really might be low on the 5k.....certainly, auctioning it in an auction that is well publicized would show it's true market value. And that is what I would do, most likely, if selling it.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Doug

Default Re-scan of the Crandall front

The scan above does not show the left border correctly. Here is a re-scan.

Looks like I cropped the one above too closely - the card has not been trimmed.

D.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg new scan Crandall UZIT.jpg (66.0 KB, 325 views)

It is what it is...
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Craig M

Doug,

Since you said that you will be submitting this card to get graded and then onto a auction house; you may want to pose a question to the board members what they think about soaking the card since it appears to have paper attached to the Uzit reverse.

Could it jump half a grade by soaking the extra paper off of the back? If not then best to leave alone.

Craig
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Doug

Thanks Craig,

I've been told it would probably clean up well with a soak, but I am definitely not qualified to perform that operation. I will leave that to you experts once it sells. I would only screw it up for its future owner.

Doug

It is what it is...
Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Jim R

most Uzits are grade 3 and lower. Very rarely do you see one graded above 3.

Also most Uzits do not have a red Hindu partner. Very rarely do you see one that has a Hindu partner.

Most Uzits bring between 2 and 3k at auction. This Crandall Uzit will not grade high but I think it will go well past 3k and it should because of the 3 examples that have a red Hindu partner none have showed up twice. Each is a lone example.

This Crandall is special and only an auction will show its value.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Craig M

Personally I would leave it just as you found it...Craig
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Doug

I am going with that plan, whatever it brings.

It is what it is...
Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I'd have that taking a bath in 2 seconds.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
I'd have that taking a bath in 2 seconds.

I agree! But I understand him not doing it also. Never done it before and not really wanting to start with a card like that. My first one was a $20 card at best. I don't think I would have started with a expensive card as my first but I would throw a Wagner in now if I thought it would improve it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
I agree! But I understand him not doing it also. Never done it before and not really wanting to start with a card like that. My first one was a $20 card at best. I don't think I would have started with a expensive card as my first but I would throw a Wagner in now if I thought it would improve it.
I've done it maybe 300 times. Most times it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Depends totally on the type of glue. Main thing is it doesn't hurt anything. It won't fall apart or anything. A little blotting and pressing and it will be a little cleaner even if the paper doesn't come off.

The appeal is the back. Doc Crandall is not the value. Get the paper off and have a nice, clean, rare UZIT back!

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 03-23-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Doug

Thanks guys. I do get it.

I just don't have your confidence or experience.

I don't want to be the subject of a Net54 thread titled

"Inexperienced Guy Screws Up Only Known Crandall Uzit"

At some point in our lives we've all made something worse by trying to make it better...

Doug

It is what it is...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Jason Stricker

Default Soak 'em

Dunk the card in hope of improving the back, especially since the back is the star.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Clayton

Awesome card !!! I've never soaked a card either, so I'd feel the same hesitation about doing it if I owned it. But I know others do it and the final result can make a big difference when it's done right.

Hi Ken- I'm not sure how to quote a portion of a comment, so I copy and paste it- but this part here:

" The appeal is the back. Doc Crandall is not the value."

I hold a different opinion, only because I look for tough combinations and find it to be a fun way to collect. In this case, because it's now the only confirmed Crandall/Uzit, Crandall being on the front is just as important as the Uzit back. This card is desireable to me because of the combination, not just because it has a Uzit back.

That's just my take, there is no right or wrong way to collect. To each their own, but I agree with Jim that this card is very special.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
pete ullman

Unless some crazies go tete a tete over it...it should sell for 3-4K range. I also understand your reservations about soaking it...it probably doesn't really matter in regards to what it will sell for...but...it is a simple process...and you should not be afraid!!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 03-24-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Unless some crazies go tete a tete over it...it should sell for 3-4K range. I also understand your reservations about soaking it...it probably doesn't really matter in regards to what it will sell for...but...it is a simple process...and you should not be afraid!!!!!
Hey Peter,

Thanks for the input.

Yep, call me chicken! I confess. Guilty as charged. There isn't much I am afraid of (except maybe the Mrs. from time to time.) but I am afraid to soak that card. If I had a real beater to practice on I would probably try it.

I have already received offers for the card in that range and slighty higher.

I am still going to school as I am only a week into this.

I am new to the big business side of base ball cards.

Prior to this my involvement was limited to flipping for cards in the schoolyard...

Regards,

Doug

It is what it is...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Craig M

Doug,

You are definitely making the correct choice.

Leaving it as is and grading it will give the prospective new owner of the card an added perk to crack the card out of its holder, soak it and resubmit it to a different grading company.

Craig
Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Hi Doug,

I think you are wise not too fool around with the card. You have a truly unique find. I don't think that the paper residue on the back will limit it's value at all. Experienced collectors will understand that they can do the work with the card themselves if they happen to be lucky enough to win it. If I was an expert in soaking (I'm not ) and wanted this card, I'd rather win it as is and then do the work myself than to take a chance on someone doing the work that's never done it before. Sort of like how they say never to do anything to the finish on an antique piece of furniture if you are not a professional.

In any case, best of luck with the sales, glad to have you on board the forum and hope to see more of your collection in the future!

Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
Doug,

You are definitely making the correct choice.

Leaving it as is and grading it will give the prospective new owner of the card an added perk to crack the card out of its holder, soak it and resubmit it to a different grading company.

Craig
Thanks Craig,

I really appreciate your input. Everyone at Net54 has been great as I learn more and more every day.

Doug

It is what it is...
Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Hi Doug,

I think you are wise not too fool around with the card. You have a truly unique find. I don't think that the paper residue on the back will limit it's value at all. Experienced collectors will understand that they can do the work with the card themselves if they happen to be lucky enough to win it. If I was an expert in soaking (I'm not ) and wanted this card, I'd rather win it as is and then do the work myself than to take a chance on someone doing the work that's never done it before. Sort of like how they say never to do anything to the finish on an antique piece of furniture if you are not a professional.

In any case, best of luck with the sales, glad to have you on board the forum and hope to see more of your collection in the future!

Steve
Thanks Steve,

I agree. I have worked on a few antiques over the years, and sometimes I wish I hadn't! All of you guys have been great. I appreciate all of the input and advise I have received so far. All of it.

I'll see about posting some more scans, but that Crandall/Uzit is a tough act to follow...

I was all revved up about having a Cobb, a Mathewson, a Johnson etc. only to find out old Doc was probably the best of the lot.

Go figure.

Regards,

Doug

It is what it is...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Hi Doug,

Steve

+1 Steve-

Doug- If you are going to sell it, imo........It would be wise to Take this advice, get it slabbed (too high value not to) and auction it. Just the way it is. There is no need to do anything else. Your top 20 bidders are probably reading this message . They can do what they want with it if they win it. ....

After learning of it's rarity that seems like a smart thing to do. Good luck with whatever you do too.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Doug

Leon,

I Agree. That is the plan.

Doug

It is what it is...

Tags
uzit